A bad day

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
This happened in mid-November, 2016. With under 50k miles, this three pedal 2014 had many miles in front of it, and I was going to keep it, planning to turn down over $26k buyback. In fact, I was planning on walking away from the fix and restitution (over $6k), if a mod ever shows up for this one.
It was a heavy MB E-series that ran a red light. The TDI engine was actually pushed to the right, and slightly upwards by about 3 inches. Left front wheel was pinned pushed in and back against the wheel well. Even the right front fender was pushed OUT! And, the left rear end was damaged grazing the MB while the TDI spun clockwise almost 360 degrees after impact. Very violent accident happened in milliseconds. Two bags deployed, which did not prevent my head from hitting the handle above the driver door.
LFQP2 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr

LFQP by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr

LRQP by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr

RFQP by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr
TwoBags1 by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr
I found an '03 GLS TDI wagon to replace it. It's an ALH that needs work. Look for it in the MKIV section threads. A new project.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Ouch.

Hope your head injury was slight, and no other long term effects.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Thanks Mike. Stitches, concussion. I am recovering. I don't heal so fast anymore at near 60!

But I am really sad to see the TDI gone. It was such a great vehicle, and a unicorn now.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
While you are recovering, be sure to look into VW dieselgate compensation you can get for the totaled car.

I am not certain of the details, but there was some mention of payment for some folks who had the car totaled. Hope you get something.

If nothing else, perhaps the insurance company will base the value on the buyback amount.

either way, the important part is your recovery and continued health.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Ouch! Im glad you are still in one piece....

Is the engine intact? If so, take it out for your future project?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Glad to hear you're okay and that you've already found a replacement car. Hope you at least get the resistitution amount since you've helped them remove one from the road.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Damn, as said, glad you are ok.

I guess the Police showed up?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
This whole mess is still in limbo. Medical issues not resolved, and the VWclaims situation is not done (issued, signed, and notarized), but I am waiting for the appointment to turn it in. They know about the condition, and advised me to render it drivable so it would qualify. I paid nearly $1000 to get the front left wheel "unpinned" and yes, it drives under it's own power. The shop actually bought a new lower control arm instead of trying to flatten the mangled thing that the MB350 destroyed. I am not sure it could be flattened and still be strong enough to hold that wheel !

As I said, this is all unresolved. My appointment for the buyback is mid-Feb. The police report was in my favor. A driver behind me had to stop at the green light we were going through to avoid getting involved in the fray. She was a great witness. There was another uninvolved witness (good witness). The Uber driver had a passenger (yes, I said Uber). He is/was fully insured. He was probably looking at his cell phone mounted on the dash when he hit me. I think that he was accelerating until the last moment.

One of the reasons I leased a new Passat (2017) was because VW stuck behind me on the buyback. Thank you VW! I have not been one of those that blame the company as a whole for the engineers and who knows how many administrators that new about dieselgate. Frankly, VWs are excellent cars and ironically are now poised to be top selling worldwide, this year. No mean feat under the circumstances, but says a lot about VW quality and worldwide marketing strategy.

Imagine what a TDI Alltrack would have been like? It would have sold as fast as they made them. It is so ironic that it was missed by less than one year!

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow thank you for sharing your awesome statement. I hope you will have a speedy recovery. You are in my prayer.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Good luck at the buyback appointment. There was another post on here with someone that took their wrecked car and got it processed without any issues.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Wow. Glad you walked away relatively unscathed. Could have been a helluva lot worse if you were in that intersection a second sooner.

Anyway, hope you get this issue resolved to your satisfaction.

As for the totaled buyback thread, look for the one that says Goodbye and Thanks for all the Fish...

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Didn't see your thread before Dan. Thanks for the link.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
New Lower Control arm, heading for the crusher

I picked up the JSW and my appointment for the buyback is tomorrow morning. It amazes me that there are no fluids leaking, and that the linkage and driving controls still basically work. It's badly toed in, but drives under its own power.
The shop actually bought a NEW lower control arm and installed it for me, so the wheel is "unpinned". The engine sounds perfect. With under 50k miles, this TDI had a FULL life ahead of it. Starts right up and purrs like a perfect CR TDI.
newLowerArm
UnpinnedWheel
Loverhead

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Done....

It was fast and simple. Waiting for the email from Chase Bank to authorize the EFT. I inadvertently left a key in the truck. An orphan key:
OrphanKey_zpszvxos4of by gs1100ghoot, on Flickr

Believe it or not, I'd rather have the car than the buyback. Yes, it is just about what I paid, minus the financing, trailer rental, and cost of repairs to get it driveable under its own power. All told, about $3000 to $3500 for a two year ownership. So I will work on getting the '03 ALH wagon project on the road. Something to look forward to!!

Last edited:

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
Glad it to hear it went smoothly! Can't wait to see that ALH project! :D

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Sorry to hear about the wreck. I almost ran into the same situation after a hail storm, but my insurance company didn't total my JSW (although I got a $5900 total loss settlement on my Golf and ended up keeping it, which paid for most of my upgrades to that car).

I was rear ended in 2012, and despite being hit by a '98 Dodge Dakota at around 25-30mph on an Interstate offramp, the car was repairable ($4500-ish by a halfa$$ job body shop in So Cal). The worst part was neck and back pains for about a year and a half afterwards (the driver was a dumb 18 yo kid whose insurance expired two weeks prior to the incident).

theomarakas

TDI
2013 JSW
lucky you !!!!

Man, Sorry to see what happened and hope you have recovered by now. But don't forget....you're lucky that you were driving that MK6. They are known to hold together when hit hard. Certainly better than most small Japanese cars.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Oh boy. Sorry to see these pics, but glad you were not hurt. And I am happy that your TDI still ran and did not leak any fluids post accident. So great that you were able to turn it in... Safe driving @dubStrom