CR140 Big Turbo Build

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
I decided to start logging the build and kinda debating the info as i go on the build via site instead of through emails so others can benefit from it.

Car:
2009 CR140 Jetta

Mods:
Malone Custom Tune
PDE DPF Delete
EGR LP Delete
EGR HP Delete
3.5" Straight Pipe, downpipe back
Stage 5 SMF Aaron's clutch
R32 Rear Brake Calibers/Rotors
GTB Tubular Manifold
GTB2263VK Small turbo
GT35r Larger turbo (compound setup)
4bar MAP Sensor
CR180 Cylinder Head
Raxle Axles
Audi S3 Intercooler
Sigma 6 Shifter

Resources:
CBEA cylinder head upgrades
EGT/BOOST Gauge
Anti-Surge Idea
GTB2260VK Vacuum Actuator Install
CCV MOD
AUDI S3 INTERCOOLER

*Cleaning up the build... going to put different parts of the build on its own discussions so it not as complicated to read for the next person looking to do a CR build.*

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
*Moved all turbo pics to correct section under resources...*

Last edited:

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
could you label the pictures?

where are you getting a maifold? Performance Diesel Engineering (Shortysclimbin) and darkside developments (RyanP) have one, or in the works.

the GTB2260VK will be in my future when someone finishes up with the kit. I have the CR180 injectors in hand :)

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
how much the injectors run u? there is a guy malone just tuned with cr140 with gtb2260ck in it and he put down 238whp/448wtq if my memory serves me and he said it still had 12% fuel left.. just needed head work to make anymore power at that point.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
$1500 @ boraparts
12% left on fuel pump pressure im assuming? What other mods?

Just got SBC stage 3 and peliquin installed... im ready

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
I'll reply to your email ASAP! The 65mm wheel wont work well with the stock turbine, i had the first and second prototypes

The head will run out before turbo and fuelling. Obviously you have the CR180 head to try (so do I :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Anyone got more info about the block strentgh of the new style engines comapred to 1.9/2.0 style block (as the early CR engines had)

I don't know which block to use..

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone got more info about the block strentgh of the new style engines comapred to 1.9/2.0 style block (as the early CR engines had)

I don't know which block to use..
I am not 100% but i was told on seatcupra site that the commonrail motors have forged rods from the factory that pretty beefy... if someone could clear this up that be nice...

I'll reply to your email ASAP! The 65mm wheel wont work well with the stock turbine, i had the first and second prototypes

The head will run out before turbo and fuelling. Obviously you have the CR180 head to try (so do I
I have sent you a few emails.. been waiting on your replys.. i know your a busy man that is why i not been to worried.. could you please email me about cr180 upgrade and more details on the gtb2265vk setup...

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
$1500 @ boraparts
12% left on fuel pump pressure im assuming? What other mods?

Just got SBC stage 3 and peliquin installed... im ready
thats not a bad price.. i was talking to someone about getting a used cr180 head with the factory injectors with it for just a tad more.. but not gotten any replys back in a while so may source elsewhere..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Hmm, I suppose if the blocks are weaker the only option is to go BKD/BMN?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Please read the post again, I say that the early CR, the one with the injectors with the aluminum sealing plates have a block that looks similar to the 038 ve/pd style block. this new style block with the oval exh ports have a block that looks completely different from the outside, it has freeze plugs and a hole for feeding the oil to the turbo at the backside of the block with a banjo bolt.. now the question is:

is the new block stronger/stiffer than the old one, or did they just make a lighter cheap block with less safety margin?

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure but between me and the 450hp build we will find out

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
In the interest and increasing demands of ever better NVH characteristics, it is unlikely that any automaker would regress on engine stiffness as time goes on.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
dunno, if cost saving is 30% for 0.5% gain in NVH, which can easily be get rid of in the calibration..?

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
In the interest and increasing demands of ever better NVH characteristics, it is unlikely that any automaker would regress on engine stiffness as time goes on.
I don't know about the TDI's but in terms of the small block Ford V8, the earlier (60s) engine blocks had a lot more material than the later (90's) engine blocks.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
More material is also not necessarily better for stiffness and NVH. I can guarantee that the cited SB Ford example, the new engines are structurally far more optimized and stiffer than the 60s versions even while being lighter.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I don't know about the TDI's but in terms of the small block Ford V8, the earlier (60s) engine blocks had a lot more material than the later (90's) engine blocks.
True fact. Though for Ford I believe the shift happened sometime late '70s to early '80s and effected more than just the small blocks.

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
More material is also not necessarily better for stiffness and NVH. I can guarantee that the cited SB Ford example, the new engines are structurally far more optimized and stiffer than the 60s versions even while being lighter.
While I agree that more material is not necessarily better, in this case it is. According to this book, newer blocks are to be avoided at all costs for serious builds. As u can imagine, many racers have found the limits of the factory blocks.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1884089550
But I digress

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
The context for my assertion is NVH - nothing else - and it stands. How did we get to this tangent anyway? :confused:

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
The context for my assertion is NVH - nothing else - and it stands. How did we get to this tangent anyway? :confused:
You said its unlikely that any automaker would regress on engine stiffness as time goes on, and I showed you one that did, that's how we got on this tangent.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
back on topic please

where did the manifold and gtb2260ck that made 238whp/448wtq come from?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
I have always been consistent in limiting my posts to a narrow discussion of block stiffness in an NVH context. You have shown nothing to support the argument otherwise. You are confusing "stiffness" in an NVH context, which is what I actually said, to "strength," which is what you must've thought I meant, but didn't. Stiffness and strength are different things - you can have a weight- and NVH-optimized, stiff block that doesn't have much of a strength safety factor for super high-power builds, which is probably the case for the late SB Fords or vice versa, an unstiff block that is strong if only due to the sheer brute force method of thicker walls - and your example is anyway for a completely different engine block. The only definitive way to know other than speculating over low-resolution photos is to compare directly the two block designs of interest and dimensions of the webbings. Or you have a large accumulation of anecdotal experience of the SAME blocks of interest, not one from another manufacturer.

I'm done here.

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
ok Dave, as it looks to me the old block has from the outside more webbing, but this offcourse will hardly be more than a very rough feeling that the old block could be stronger.. if we face things, running over 600Nm with unhealthy CR on old 038 block proves no problem, for an engine designed for maximum around 320Nm, so maybe they tought we can save a few kgs and euros as we don't need so much safetyfactor, especially considering the low CR of the new engines and the NVH (peak pressure rise and peak pressure) optimized combustion strategy.. alotugh the new engine are designed for 400Nm .. hard to tell =)