Engine repair cost?

bullitt94

TDI
97 Jetta
Does anybody have any idea's on what could all be wrong and how much it cost to fix?
I have a 97 Jetta 1.9 tdi. Was started with starting fluid. It runs bad, no power. It has low compression on 1 cyl.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
How far from Madison are ya? There's a TDI guru that works in Madison, he's top notch.

Could be a bent rod. Starting fluid, eeek.

What are the compression numbers for all 4 cylinders?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Probably cracked the rings (seen it multiple times).

Do NOT start or drive the car until it is fixed. If you do the ring can scuff the cylinder to the point that the cylinder cannot be polished out and re-honed.

At minimum you are into it for a ring job.

And yes I second JasonTDI for doing the work.

DB

bullitt94

TDI
97 Jetta
What are the chances of the turbo being wasted because of it?
The starting fluid was not my doing,i had some help with that.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Wouldn't expect damage to the turbo from starting fluid.

Vegged-Out

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2003 Jetta | 2011 BMW 335d | 2016 BMW Xdrive35d
Where EXACTLY are you in WI. I used to live near La Farge / Hillsboro. I can tell you who to go to (Jason in Madison/Verona) and I can tell you who NOT TOO GO TO (but I will save that for a pm).

Had a very similiar problem year and a half ago.

You are going down a bad road with the starter fluid, I can tell you that straight out.

Need more info on how you ended up with this problem also more symptoms if there are any.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I visited Jason yesterday. He changed my oil and did my DSG service. It was over a 2 hour ride there due to the stupid fog and traffic. He is worth the time and money paid.
I learned from Jason that incorrect oil was used on the last oil change. The previous owner had done to the car. I was going to have the same place do it again. But after I found out incorrect oil was used. I will find some place else to go or I'll just have to make the 2 hour journey again to Jason.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I drove 5 hours one-way to JasonTDI when I lived in IL. Very much worth it!

bullitt94

TDI
97 Jetta
Vegged-Out said:
Where EXACTLY are you in WI. I used to live near La Farge / Hillsboro. I can tell you who to go to (Jason in Madison/Verona) and I can tell you who NOT TOO GO TO (but I will save that for a pm).

Had a very similiar problem year and a half ago.

You are going down a bad road with the starter fluid, I can tell you that straight out.

Need more info on how you ended up with this problem also more symptoms if there are any.
Like i said i did not use the starting fluid. I borrowed out the car.They said the car would not start so they gave it a shot of starting fluid.
I haven't had much time to work on it,all i know for now is 1 cyl has pretty much no compression. And it has very little power
The reason i asked about the turbo is if the piston detonated and is destroyed,maybe it took out the turbo on its way out the pipe.
I am planning on doing the work myself and i am trying to get a rough guess what it will cost to fix.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I see what you're saying now... If a chuck of debris made it out it could damage the turbo. Usually starting fluid damages the rings/ring landings but doesn't send stuff out the exhaust. Also, the one 'good' thing is that the turbo isn't spooled up when you first start the engine. Debris could pass through without damage at idle.

You're going to be in pretty deep fixing this. Once the head is off you should know if there were big pieces heading out.

Let us know what you find.