Need maintenence help in DC Metro area

mkiii88turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf GLS, 97 Passat
Hey. I'm in Silver Spring, MD (about a mile away from DC).

I help doing a brake bleed and help cleaning my intake. I have never done it before and don't want to, well, screw anything up... I will gladly drive to you, meet you somewhere, whatever. I would also pay you something...we can decide on that together.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ben

QQQ

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I live in Fairfax, VA. If you haven't found anyone to help, send me a private message. I'll be glad to help you with brake bleeding and intake cleaning. I just bought a 2200psi pressure washer that I'm itching to use on an intake. I used it on my siding and parts of my brick patio. It will clean and remove for sure. :) I had cleaned out my intake but without a pressure washer so I'm comfortable with what needs to be done. Brake bleeding is straightforward too.

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
yea I am in the same boat, there are no trustworthy shops in baltimore. I met Car54 years back, glad to see he is still around. I might need to contact him.

QQQ, I would love to take you up on the intake cleaning, I am at about 50K. I am assuming you have only removed the intake manifold one time before right?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Charm said:
yea I am in the same boat, there are no trustworthy shops in baltimore. I met Car54 years back, glad to see he is still around. I might need to contact him.

QQQ, I would love to take you up on the intake cleaning, I am at about 50K. I am assuming you have only removed the intake manifold one time before right?
Actually there is a good mechanic available in Baltimore
Oliver Wegner is the crew chief for Rally TDI and now is in Baltimore

He will pop test and install Injectors and Nozzles, Clutches, Timing belts, Brakes, LSD Installs, all regular services
Email: ohwegener@hotmail.com for info.

QQQ

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Charm said:
Yes, the intake on my Beetle TDI is the only intake I've removed and reinstalled. If it's any consideration, I've worked on my Camaro replacing the heads, intake, cam, rockers, headers, cat-back, etc...most bolt ons and then some. And helped others. Working on cars is not my day job (computers are), but I do like tinkering with them. I have a floor jack, jackstands, some basic socket set, hex/torx nut set and a 30gal compressor. When I worked on my intake, I hardly used the compressor other than cleaning the intake itself. If you don't feel comfortable with me, it's ok, find someone you will feel comfortable with. No sweat. :) But I'll be glad to give a hand where I can.

For me, three things in my future are: 5th gear change, tuning, and nozzles. If anyone has done the 5th (in a manual) gear change, I'd like help with that. :)

No Exit

Veteran Member
I've cleaned 2 egrs/manifolds in the last month (both mkiv jettas).. havent done the brakes yet tho. I'll be installing new rotors and pads in the front so I guess I'll be figuring out how to bleed'em too.

Gotta vag-com and pressure washer as well.

BTW, I tried cleaning my manifold and egr cooler with the pressure washer (2150psi) and while it does help, it didnt get things nearly as clean as soaking in degreaser. This was 185k miles of gunk built up, mind you. I went through an entire gallon of simple green but they're now oh so shiney!!!

edit: i'll ask if it'd be okay to have visitors... and a big nasty mess of soot. I used the kitchen sink :eek: to clean my egr and manifold so that may not go over so well

Last edited:

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
No Exit said:
I've cleaned 2 egrs/manifolds in the last month (both mkiv jettas).. havent done the brakes yet tho. I'll be installing new rotors and pads in the front so I guess I'll be figuring out how to bleed'em too.
Why are you bleading the brakes if your just doing pads and rotors? Not required, infact not needed at all.

No Exit

Veteran Member
cuz i dont know if its ever been done on the car. its a 99.5 with 185k miles on it. It could very well be the original brake fluid :eek: .

tmleadr03

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
No Exit said:
cuz i dont know if its ever been done on the car. its a 99.5 with 185k miles on it. It could very well be the original brake fluid :eek: .
If it hasnt been done on a regular basis I would recommend not doing it then. Brakes is one of those things that if you dont regularly change the fluid and then do decide to change it many times it all just goes to H in a hand basket real quick. Not all the time but enough times to not really want to do it myself on vehicles I dont know the history of. If it has been changed regularly then yes, if not, unless its broke dont fix it.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
tmleadr03 said:
If it hasnt been done on a regular basis I would recommend not doing it then. Brakes is one of those things that if you dont regularly change the fluid and then do decide to change it many times it all just goes to H in a hand basket real quick. Not all the time but enough times to not really want to do it myself on vehicles I dont know the history of. If it has been changed regularly then yes, if not, unless its broke dont fix it.
brake systems arent automatic transmissions.

Brake fluid absorbs water, allowing corrosion to take hold of the brake system and causing a failure. If you dont know if its been changed, CHANGE IT! Its quick, easy, and good practice to maintain one of the most important systems in your car.

No Exit

Veteran Member
car 54 said:
brake systems arent automatic transmissions.

Brake fluid absorbs water, allowing corrosion to take hold of the brake system and causing a failure. If you dont know if its been changed, CHANGE IT! Its quick, easy, and good practice to maintain one of the most important systems in your car.
Hey! I was wondering what happened to you. I havent seen you here in a while.

I've got all the stuff I need to do the brakes. Fluid is cheap... no reason not to go ahead and just bleed'em while Im down there.

I got my new-used head in today. Gonna be putting it in this week... wish me luck :D