Wiring Harness/Glow Plugs/ Check engine light

Strack

Veteran Member
After three trips to my dealer and spendimg over $400.00 since January, my dealer claims that I need a new wiring harness. The only problem is the check engine light keeps coming on. The glow plugs fire up fine, but my dealer claims the harness needs to be replaced. To date, the glow plug relay, fuse, glow plug power supply, and one glow plug has been replaced. Since this is a very expensive repair ($1,200.00), is it possible that something else is causing my check engine light to come on?? The dealer said that the computer is throwing a soft code, not a hard one. All I want is to get rid of the check engine warning light on the dash??

Any suggestions??

1999.5 A4 Jetta
57K miles

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The glow plug harness costs in the area of $25, you can get it at places such as impex.com and the repair time is what...30 minutes?

If you do a search on wiring harness or glow plug harness in the forum, you will see that it is a likely culprit for glow plug related "check engine lights".
This is due to corrosion that forms between the glowplugs and the snap-on harness;

Temporary relief can be brought by pulling the harness off, cleaning the contacts on the glowplugs and the harness and putting a bit of dielectric grease on before you put the whole thing together again.
Now reset the CEL (Vag-com) and glow your heart out. If the CEL stays off, you most likely had it due to "bad" connections between harness and glowplugs.

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
After re-reading your post I would strongly suggest you hook up with somebody in your area who has the VAG-COM (see list in this forum!!).
Your car wants to tell you something...it is absolutely necessary to see the actual trouble code before contemplating any repairs.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
IT is most lilely the harness, the harness CAN test good but still throw a code. The dealers don't get this. they are just running the tests in the book (or not) and throwing parts at it. Alot of us have been through this EVEN me i got tired of seeing the check engine light so i taped it off. Last Dec. i replaced the harness 23$ from impex and no more codes. NOTE the old harness still today still tested good.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
I would go with the harness as suggested.
You can clean it up and respring it by squeazing the connector with pliers a little. This may be all that you need to do.

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
Geez, you should have done a search on the subject and saved yourself $1,200! It's undoubtedly the $30 harness, which takes about 15 minutes to change. It WILL check out just fine, but WILL ALSO cause the GP code to be set. Make sure you clear the code after installation, otherwise it won't go off by itself for a few weeks.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
glow plug power supply = battery?

All I want is to get rid of the check engine warning light on the dash??
Cheapest solution: square piece of electrical tape place over the lamp. Gives perfect piece of mind, too! (ignorance is bliss)

BTW: replacing just one plug is a recipe for continual CEL activation since the trouble detection circuitry is looking for a mismatch in the 4 plugs.

Strack

Veteran Member
Luckily, I did not pay the $1200,00 which the dealer requested. I can buy a new GP harness for under $30.00 and will probably do so. On my A4, there is no connection provision other than to splice a glow plug new harness into the wiring system. I'm a bit uneasey about doing this. has anyone walked down this road and help me out?

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
I did this last fall, it's a piece of cake. I was trying to search for it in the archives, but it seems we can't do a search by person anymore.
Basically it's like this: 1.Remove the engine cover. 2.Cut the wires near the old harness (you have to remove some of the wire loom temporarily), and remove the harness from the GPs. 3.Cut the connectors off the replacement harness, if so equipped. 4.Install the new harness on the GPs. 5.Strip and crimp the wires (use heat shrink to seal the connections), and you're done!

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
I was trying to search for it in the archives, but it seems we can't do a search by person anymore.
Just click on the name of the person (in this case you) and under the profile that comes up there is an option to view all posts by that person. Just scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see it. Can't use a keyword search with it as far as I can tell so it can be a little cumbersome.

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
Thanks, NYTDI! I was looking for that function under "Search", silly me!
Anyway here's my rambling piece from last fall:

Guys, I've been through all of this.
First I should repost as to how the ECU measures current: The GP relay uses a shunt circuit (an inline resistor,
as Brian correctly put it, across which it measures voltage). It measures two pairs of glow plugs at the same
time.
My MIL came on back in April. First I thought it to be a bad glow plug, so I changed them all. No dice; after
resetting, the MIL came on again a couple of days later. I checked every single connection from the battery to
the relay to the glow plugs.
FYI, there is a connection in the harness in the wiring duct under the airbox. This is between the relay and the
glow plugs.
I measured for voltage at the GPs, and all seemed okay. The car started just fine as well, even below freezing
temps. Next step was wasting my money on a new relay. Wasting is the key word here, don't buy one! Lastly, I
purchased a new harness a few weeks ago, and guess what, the problem is solved! The least expensive and
fastest to install part seems to be the first one to try, if your GPs measure okay!
I performed a post mortem on the old harness today by cutting it in half lengthwise. It's actually a
multi-layered moulding. The insulation of one of the feed wires was cracked right at the point where it enters
the flex-joint on the end of the harness, but no corrosion or broken conductors were found. There are two
high-quality crimp connections (both okay) in the harness to split a wire off to each pair of plugs. The wires are
crimped onto the GP connection terminals, and again, these were fine. Basically, I could find no real problem
with the harness at all, but a new one cured my returning code!
The terminals themselves are two-layer, the outer part being the crimp connector and main housing, and a thin
springy band that fits inside, to give extra "grip" to the GP's terminal. These are surrounded by a hard plastic
housing that doesn't have any "give" so the problem is not the moulding giving way and the terminal losing
tension. Examination of the inside of the terminals showed no sign of corrosion either. My only guess (I work in
the electrical field) is that the problem lies with the small thin inner ring that is supposed to give extra tension
onto the GPs. Since the surface area is large, minor oxidization could cause a fluctuating current that the ECU
could pick up as a problem. Remember, there are 20 Amps flowing through each connector, at only 12 volts. An
extra 0.1 Ohms of resistance would cause approximately 3 Amps less current flowing to a glow plug! From what
I've gathered, all of these faults are nuisance faults, that is, nobody has actually had a starting problem
(unless they actually have a bad plug). The factory parameters that VW set to generate a fault code may be
too strict, that is, they allow for a very small current variation.
To anyone coming to the Toronto GTG on the 30th, I'll bring my disected harness.

[ November 10, 2002, 17:03: Message edited by: Cosmic Green ]

Post Extras:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Strack, come to the NY GTG this weekend (see the Meets/GTG forum) and I can probably do this for you. You'll need the replacement harness and a pair of the yellow heatshrink crimp connectors.

Strack

Veteran Member
Thanks to all for the help. My problem is solved. I simply cleaned the end of the Glow plugs with a fine emery cloth and applied the electric grease to the connections, cleared the code and my problem is gone!! Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply with excellent advise!!

This site continues to Rock!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Glad it worked out for you, but I will guess that your code will be back in a month or so. I had the same problem and changed my harness. When I disected the old one, I found the problem.

The connectors are comprised of two parts, the spring clamp that clips on the end of the glow plug & a liner. This is what makes contact inbetween the GP & the clamp. This liner is made of an alloy that oxidised and in some spots it was scorched. This provided enough resistance to throw the code. Cleaning inside the connector cleans one side of the liner, but not the outer part that contacts the clamp.

Here are the pics I took:

You can see the inside & outside edges of the two center liners are whitish from the oxidation & the black scorch marks also created resistance. The GP monitoring system is very sensative to resistance variations between the two sets of plugs. That is all it took to throw the code 4 times for me. Each time it came back between 100-400km. Its been 15,000 since I changed the harness with no CEL.

I hope this helps.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Thanks,

You can't imagine all the people who doubted the validity of changing the harness. It was the best $30 I spent (Maintenance wise that is) on my car. For all those who got the glow plug CEL, the FIRST thing to check is the plugs themselves (its easy & free). If you find a bad one, bingo. If all check out ok, I would bet my car that its' a harness problem. (Don't quote me on that
)

Strack

Veteran Member
How did you splice the new harness in? At what point in the harness did you cut out the old wiring and install the new? Did you solder the connection or cut and splice and heat shrink the joint?

Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I cut the old harness at the flex joint & the on the new harness at the terminals. I used uninsulated butt connectors from radioshack (heavier duty than the insulated ones) and glue lined heat shrink tubing used for trailer wiring to seal the joint water tight. I got the heat shrink tubing from a tractor trailer repair shop. Its designed to be used for external wiring, so it's heavy duty and when cool, it hardens to make a very solid water tight joint.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
My 2001 Goolf just started shpwing a CEL. If it's the glow plug harness, would this indicator light be a different kiind of CEL specific to the glow plugs (such as the glow plug light)?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My 2001 Goolf just started shpwing a CEL. If it's the glow plug harness, would this indicator light be a different kiind of CEL specific to the glow plugs (such as the glow plug light)?
No, the glow plug circuit throws a code if it detects a variance in resistance between two sets of plugs. This variation can also be caused by the harness if it is corroded like mine was. It can not differenciate between the two problems (plugs or harness). Thats why you have to test the plugs first and rule them out before moving to the harness. Only change the harness if you cannot find fault with the plugs.

As for the glow plug light illuminating, it is an indication of a different code. I have read that a bad brake switch on the pedal will cause this as well as a burned out brake bulb. The flashing GP light also indicates a fault in the fuel injection pump. Something to do with injection quantity being out of range. It is a common occurence with people who install tuning boxes. The computer sees a fuel quantity it has never seen before and throws the code, but it usualy clears itself (mine did).

For more information on the glow plug/harness DTC check Here

jhtanstaaf

Veteran Member
My dealer just told me he wanted to replace this & the plugs (he replaced those at 45K due to a mismatch between them...Bosch & someone elses...installed at the factory). Price: $480.

Verdict: No go, I'll do it myself. Geez these guys are something else.

BTW, it happens to be in the shop for something else -- my 5th!!! MAF sensor. At 125K miles, my 2000 Jetta TDI has now cost me (including fuel which topped out this winter at $2.25/gal -- 26 cents more than premium!) $3,700 more than a Honda Acord. The engine damm well better last 300K or I'm going end up negative on this car forever.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
BTW, it happens to be in the shop for something else -- my 5th!!! MAF sensor.
what can you tell us about your air filter. is it factory, was it alwys factory paper during your 125k?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My dealer just told me he wanted to replace this & the plugs (he replaced those at 45K due to a mismatch between them...Bosch & someone elses...installed at the factory). Price: $480.
Dealers are either totaly lost or blatantly trying to rip people off. To change the glow plugs takes less than half an hour. How can they justify such an outragous fee???

Maybe they don't know that the glow plugs are now much easier to get to than the old IDI engines. You have to remove a bunch of things to get to the front two glow plugs on those older engines and 3 hours labour is warranted, but not on the new ones. Maybe they need a service bulletin outlining the correct procedure to re & re glow plugs.

1. Remove engine cover (3 min)
2. Remove glow plug harness (5 seconds)
3. Remove 4 glow plugs (3 min each)
4. Replace 4 glow plugs (4 min each - to make sure they are not cros threaded)
5. Replace harness (10 seconds)
6. Replace engine cover (3 min)
7. Stand around & laugh at customer for not being an informed member of Freds TDIClub (2 hours)

jhtanstaaf

Veteran Member
Hi Frank -- the air filter was always factory through 80K (4 of the 5 MAF sensors) and K&N afterwards.

Here's an update ---> yesterday the latest MAF died again. Last time I went through this, it took them a couple of tries to get a MAF to stay good for more than a couple of months. I'm thinking of looking into making an NTSB report on this as it's a safety issue when you pull into traffic and all of a sudden 0-20 takes 15 seconds!

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Here's an update ---> yesterday the latest MAF died again. Last time I went through this, it took them a couple of tries to get a MAF to stay good for more than a couple of months. I'm thinking of looking into making an NTSB report on this as it's a safety issue when you pull into traffic and all of a sudden 0-20 takes 15 seconds!
I would think that many MAF's would indicate there is something else wrong, such as a bad connector or harness.
Did you try the failed MAF's in another vehicle?
I wouldn't mind buying a failed one to have as a back up. (not the last one that was behind the K&N)
I would write VW and inform them that the dealer can't fix your car right. Tell them about the Glow Plug guessing game they are playing too.

jhtanstaaf

Veteran Member
Sorry Wingnut, I checked and found Impex's website. The impex.com website is nothing but an email link, the impexfap.com website had just what I needed.

Thanks guys