Sotam123's Mk4 Golf TDI progress thread

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
Ok well i just thought id post a little progress thread of my car.
So i bought here in the beginning of october 2011 with a little under 226000km.
Its a GLS with 5 speed manual trans. The owner seemed to take very good care of the engine, but not the rest(body/interior) and there were some signs of rust.
some of the future plans:
-Fix front rocker panel rust(not covered under vw warranty anymore ;( )
-get rid of summer steelies and get some mags (16/17inch)
-Replace passenger fender(rusted)
-Jolf conversion?
-trunk handle shave
-satin black door handles/rubstrips
-Coilovers
-turbo upgrade/chip?
-possibly leather interior upgrade?
Here are some pictures from the day i first got her:

the rust :(

Washed her asap (polished the headlights a few weeks later, they looked like new)

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
November 2011:
Decided to re-do my door pannels with another pattern to change up the look a bit,

Then i go a sweet deal on a set of 6 spoke mk1 audi TT 17"mags, no curbage but the paint is peeling, also got a cheap set of summer tires that would do me one summer..

December 2011
Decided to do the "Evry Mod" with the on/off switch, and was very pleased with the results. the mod that i used can be found here: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f5/evry-mod-toggle-switch-%3D-smoke-mod-pics-vids-links-11767/
I also got myself a euroswitch and installed the factory style rear fog kit from ecstuning.
Finally i found an awesome deal on a jetta front end that i couldnt pass out..Jolf here i come :D
January 2012
Got myself and installed a boost gauge with the steering column pod.
Painted the 2 mirror casings in satin black(still need to replace driver side mirror glass as its all burnt)

Last edited:

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
February 2012
My ac compressor got busted, so i had to replace that and also got a new tensionner and a a/c service.
Also found a set of jetta GLX headlights that would go good with my front end plans and with my euroswitch since they are the ones with the integrated fogs.
-Also decided to do my headliner and go with something a little original...

Did also get a chance to replace my old nasty oem 4 spoke steering wheel with a gti 3 spoke wheel i got for a steal
here is how the interior is now(minus headliner):

Also i got my allard egr delete kit and a oil catch can that i ordered off the ebay.

Sotam123

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 ALH & AJM
March 2012 to now
As for this month, i swapped the jetta front end onto my car(took about 5 hours with another friend but could have been shorter) here are some progress pics:
stripped

finished

Also got a pair on used(almost like new) rear door window divider bars which had almost not rust, coated the with a layer of POR15 and gave them a coat of satin black trim paint to give them the oem look, should be installing them later on this week.
Today i replaced the whole window mecanism and the glass from my driver windshield with a dealer upgrade kit i got from my local vw dealer a couple months ago..the reason i also replaced the glass in because it had fallen into the door a couple times and when i fished it out of there the window rails left 2 huge scatches on it that i could not ever live with..Also while the door handle was off i painted it satin black as i want o paint them all that colour..

The snow has fully melted of the streets, cant wait to be able to switch back to summer tires in 3 days, much better than having sluchy salty road everywere...

Anyways my plan for the next month is to get my lca bushings replaced, and also get some other misc drivetrain parts replaced. Also I am currently trying to source a MK5 gas cap popper actuator for my shaved trunk project..

Last edited: