What a crap Nav system.....

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
who designed the user interface and what the hell were they thinking?
I've been using maps and my own ability to navigate for a very long time.
Haven't had much need for a GPS for the car though the airplane GPS works really well and is quite intuitive. The one in the VW is anything but.
The new Sportwagen came with a nav system so I tried to use it today and I can't believe how incredibly stupid the system is. Why in heavens name would they require you to put in the country, the state, the city and then an address when all you need is a zip code? I couldn't even find anywhere to use a zip. Even google maps will take a zip code as a destination or to start the program. I guess the moving map might come in handy someday but otherwise it seems to be a complete waste of space. Is this the state of all automotive navs?

Frank

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I take it you didn't have the RNS-512 on your 09 JSW, now that is a boat anchor if there ever was. Just tell yourself you didn't have to pay extra for it, it came free with the SEL trim and you'll feel better.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I take it you didn't have the RNS-512 on your 09 JSW, now that is a boat anchor if there ever was. Just tell yourself you didn't have to pay extra for it, it came free with the SEL trim and you'll feel better.
There's no such thing as a RNS-512.

There's a RNS-510 and RNS 315 that were available.

Haven't had much need for a GPS for the car though the airplane GPS works really well and is quite intuitive. The one in the VW is anything but.
The new Sportwagen came with a nav system so I tried to use it today and I can't believe how incredibly stupid the system is. Why in heavens name would they require you to put in the country, the state, the city and then an address when all you need is a zip code? I couldn't even find anywhere to use a zip. Even google maps will take a zip code as a destination or to start the program. I guess the moving map might come in handy someday but otherwise it seems to be a complete waste of space. Is this the state of all automotive navs?

Frank
That's why you can use App-Connect and use data for Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze, which I use 99% of the time anyway

Last edited:

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
I guess I'm just glad I didn't buy the car for the electronics. I like the fact that my phone connects automatically.....keeps the wife and my mom from yelling at me. Other than that I just leave it on the car info.

Frank

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Our SE GSW did not have the NAV option and that's fine with me as we got a Garmin with free lifetime maps for NA and Europe a few years back when we were heading to Ireland for a couple of weeks. Did I mention that the map updates are FREE?

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I've never quite understood the economics of a GPS built in. It has always seemed far more expensive than a upper garmin or a tom tom unit. The automakers seem to want hundreds more for a built in than a stand alone unit you can buy at retailers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Economics have never been there. But people like to say they have it built in. I don't have nav in my new 2015 Beetle. But I do BT my phone and Google nav for directions over the stereo. I will add a RNS315 soon just for the moving map display. I thought $200 was worth it for that unit.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There's no such thing as a RNS-512.

There's a RNS-510 and RNS 315 that were available.
Meant RNS-510, that is an utter garbage head unit.

We had the RNS-315 in the SE, and that was at least manageable.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I too have the RNS-510 and in my opinion it sucks. It is my understanding that it is Garmin based. I have owned four Garmin GPS since 2002 and still own/use two now.
The stand-alone Garmin units are very easy to manipulate, the RNS-510 is not.
I have the same Garmin maps on my computer. I can create waypoints and then transfer them to the GPS. I can set up a very long route using the waypoints in under 15 minutes.
It is very difficult and now almost impossible to add waypoints to the RNS-510. Even then to set up a very long route takes between one and two hours to do.
Also as mentioned before, with Garmin units having the letters " LM" after the model number you are entitled to approximately three free yearly map updates. There is one proviso though, you must update before TWO years have elapsed or you lose that feature.

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
Frank
Locating the ZIP code/Postcode entry on the MIBI or MIBII units here is often missed as it a small separate entry box in the bottom lefthand corner of the 'City' entry page in our case marked PTCD not at all intuitive layout but at least we have the facility.
It took VW long enough to be able to enter seven digit postcodes rather than the vague five digit facility.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Locating the ZIP code/Postcode entry on the MIBI or MIBII units here is often missed as it a small separate entry box in the bottom lefthand corner of the 'City' entry page in our case marked PTCD not at all intuitive layout but at least we have the facility.
It took VW long enough to be able to enter seven digit postcodes rather than the vague five digit facility.
My MIB-II has the zip code option.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Do you have a smart phone? Use the included Google Maps app to navigate in real time. Included for no more than data usage are spoken and on screen prompts and routes that are calculated to reflect the shortest drive time under current traffic conditions.

Even more awesome is using one of those Tablets you get for small money at your phone store.

If you want to talk while driving get a BlueTooth head set. There is absolutely zero benefit in talking through a flaky in dash car radio BlueTooth.

If you drive rentals like I did when I was on the road your NAVI system and headset are always with you no matter what car you are driving or when you are flying between different business locations.

A smart phone or tablet makes the thought of buying a Garmin or a ridiculous over priced in dash NAVI that is not real time a really beyond stupid idea.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ol'Rattler the difference is that a stand alone GPS will work in areas where there is no cell coverage!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
shhhh . . . Verizon Sprint and ATT will have you believe different.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Ol'Rattler the difference is that a stand alone GPS will work in areas where there is no cell coverage!
Google maps allows you to download maps for offline use so you don't need cell coverage to use them. They do "expire" after 30 days but will automatically update as long as you are connected to the internet and will prompt you on the day it expires if it has trouble connecting. I have multiple maps I downloaded over two years ago that are still on my phone. I haven't actively done anything to keep them from expiring and I have them set up to update over wifi only.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Google maps allows you to download maps for offline use so you don't need cell coverage to use them. They do "expire" after 30 days but will automatically update as long as you are connected to the internet and will prompt you on the day it expires if it has trouble connecting. I have multiple maps I downloaded over two years ago that are still on my phone. I haven't actively done anything to keep them from expiring and I have them set up to update over wifi only.
Thank you very much. I have never used that Maps download feature but have known about it for several years. So even free map updates for that feature are month closer to being live than the craptastic in dash NAVI apps.

I wish I could get people to understand what a really awesome feature that real time navigation is. :cool::cool::cool:
And plus if you have a smart phone, you already have it and only cost phone data to use.
Probably the same not very bright people that take there cars to the dealers after the warranty runs out.:confused:

Almost forgot. If you have Verizon, do not use their VZ Navigator app. It has a monthly service fee if you use it. Use Google Maps, Waze or other free NAVI app. IDK about other phone service carriers.

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And plus if you have a smart phone, you already have it and only cost phone data to use.
Almost forgot. If you have Verizon, do not use their VZ Navigator app. It has a monthly service fee if you use it.

And therein lies the crux. "Cost phone data to use".
Even though I have a smart phone, I only use Pay-as-you-go, which can be as as little as $ 25.00 a year. A monthly plan with data would be more like $ 35.00 per month.
A standalone Garmin with lifetime map updates is about $ 120.00 and no monthly charges, no roaming charges or Data overage charges. The biggest advantage Is one of my Garmins has 7" screen.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have also bought several used Garmins with the lifetime feature for as little as $20. I keep one in every car as a backup or if I need a handheld.

Bellman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have driven from one side of the country to the other and north and south, it works fine. I keep a Tom Tom so I can double check shortest routes. My only complaint is no one knows how to get an updated SD card.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have driven from one side of the country to the other and north and south, it works fine. I keep a Tom Tom so I can double check shortest routes. My only complaint is no one knows how to get an updated SD card.
Are you referring to a Tom Tom SD card? TT also has free updates for certain units. But if you don't go to Kijiji and do a search there.

Bellman

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
No, I want an updated SD card for the factory nav unit.VW dealers don't know, VW Canada don't have a clue. My Tom Tom has free updates.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, I want an updated SD card for the factory nav unit.VW dealers don't know, VW Canada don't have a clue. My Tom Tom has free updates.
Your dealer must be pretty dense! VW sells a map update on a CD for over $ 100.00

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your dealer must be pretty dense! VW sells a map update on a CD for over $ 100.00
Newer MBI and MBII systems of the Mk7 (Non RNS based systems of our Passats) are all flash cards, no CDS/DVDs anymore. the Nav system in the glove box has an SD slot just for maps, and one for music.

The days of double DIN systems in golfs are over, whats in the dash is just a display with buttons, all the brains are in the glove box.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Newer MBI and MBII systems of the Mk7 (Non RNS based systems of our Passats) are all flash cards, no CDS/DVDs anymore. the Nav system in the glove box has an SD slot just for maps, and one for music.

The days of double DIN systems in golfs are over, whats in the dash is just a display with buttons, all the brains are in the glove box.
Not true. You can get double-din system in the MK7 with a dash kit from Metra.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh wow, seeing they moved the guts of the system to the glove box, i thought there wasn't room in the dash for a double din unit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I watched on YouTube an install of an aftermarket player; my recollection is that it either had to be a "slim profile" (like 2.5" deep, instead of ~6"), or there was cutting that had to be done to get standard-depth deck in there.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
And therein lies the crux. "Cost phone data to use".
Even though I have a smart phone, I only use Pay-as-you-go, which can be as as little as $ 25.00 a year. A monthly plan with data would be more like $ 35.00 per month.
A standalone Garmin with lifetime map updates is about $ 120.00 and no monthly charges, no roaming charges or Data overage charges. The biggest advantage Is one of my Garmins has 7" screen.
If you want a device that is nothing more that a glorified electronic map Garmins work fine for that. Your smart phone can do that as well. Just download the maps to your phone for free over WIFI. Also, my tablet has a 7 inch screen and is just amazing as a NAVI

On one 35 mile trip last December the route my phone selected was about 35-40 minutes. Not being real time, the route Garmin would have selected would have been about 1 or 2 miles shorter and about 3 hours long because of an accident and heavy traffic.

You can't pay as you go for data? It's not like data is super expensive. Some "cruxes" back at ya.