What did you do to your MK7 today?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I'm driving to Detroit (auto show) next weekend and am debating doing that. Filled the GSW today and only got 38 on this tank. But a lot of that was short trip driving in 0 degree weather. I'll be interested to see what it does on the drive to Detroit. Only 5300 miles on the car, so it's far from broken in. I'm predicting it'll be a stretch to get 40 with 4 people and luggage in the car, especially since we're all a little lead footed. 80 is the typical cruising speed for this group.
I just did a test trip and will report impressions in a dedicated thread in a few minutes. Executive summary: do it!

This is a stopgap until you design an ID Parts piece that is pretty. Hint: take my money! ;) :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Yeah Peter,when you get some front block offs made for the MK7,let us know so I can place the order;)....I might do the pipe insulation,I think I have some kicking around somewhere....

garms

TDI
2015 Golf TDI Highline 6M (SEL)
OBDeleven

Finally found time to play with my OBDeleven device.
1. Urban Joke Flashers/Tail Lights
2. Passenger Mirror Dip on Reverse
3. Windows control with Key Fob (of course)

Used up my credits for those.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Tires rotated, aired, & inspected.

Nine 32nds

Took it to local dealership. Generous ~~ no charge.

Thank you Don Thornton VW :D

Oh... because I drive so few miles, I like to add CARFAX entrees. Can't hurt:p

Last edited:

desjiem

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
Bought it! Really last week, but its a 2015 Sportswagen with a dsg transmission and 18175 miles. Really wanted a manual, but they were few and far between (and more expensive). This car is going to be a (short) commuter car, all around town car and travel car for us. We travel a lot so are hoping for some decent mpg's! So far we really like it...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Bought it! Really last week, but its a 2015 Sportswagen with a dsg transmission and 18175 miles. Really wanted a manual, but they were few and far between (and more expensive). This car is going to be a (short) commuter car, all around town car and travel car for us. We travel a lot so are hoping for some decent mpg's! So far we really like it...
Bought mine as well, this past Tuesday. But not a TDI. A GSW, Trendline, 4MOTION 6-MT. Always resisted the temptation for AWD, thought I didn't need it. But I did need a wagon again, and thought "what the heck". One of the roads I travel regularly has been a combination of snow, ice and slush every single time I've driven it so far this winter (2x round-trips per week). It really does help, if you understand what AWD can and cannot do for you (hint: doesn't make you stop any faster, it improves traction but not grip; you need 4 good snow tires for the latter).

I've really been enjoying it. So far, 32 mpg MFD overall (haven't run a full tank of gas through it yet to hand calculate), and 34 mpg highway. And that's in really cold weather (200 km today at -15C). The 6-speed box is much slicker shifting than the 5-speed on my previous '16 Golf hatch.

Last edited:

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Installed my tdiclub license plate frames.
Now the rear plate doesn't rattle when I close the hatch.
Thanks Fred!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I finally shut off the airflow into the glovebox. All the pens were frozen. I'm sure there are places where a glove box being cooled is wonderful, but this is not one of them.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Got a nice surprise from VW. They sent out a letter recently that my car bought CPO gets 2 year/unlimited miles instead of 2 years/24,000 miles. Gives peace of mind for anything that could go wrong. Looks like they may have done this for all TDIs bought CPO.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Got a nice surprise from VW. They sent out a letter recently that my car bought CPO gets 2 year/unlimited miles instead of 2 years/24,000 miles. Gives peace of mind for anything that could go wrong. Looks like they may have done this for all TDIs bought CPO.
Ours is a VW CPO also, so I'll have to be on the lookout...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've really been enjoying it. So far, 32 mpg MFD overall (haven't run a full tank of gas through it yet to hand calculate), and 34 mpg highway. And that's in really cold weather (200 km today at -15C). The 6-speed box is much slicker shifting than the 5-speed on my previous '16 Golf hatch.

Keep looking at the MFD and don't hand calculate, you'll feel much better. Out Alltrack MFD shows 3-5 MPG more than hand calculations.

Best tank I got was 31 hand calculated over 410 miles, but 50% of those miles were speeds less than 60mph where gearing is in the money. typically get 26-29, which isn't the greatest coming from TDI world.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Keep looking at the MFD and don't hand calculate, you'll feel much better. Out Alltrack MFD shows 3-5 MPG more than hand calculations.
Best tank I got was 31 hand calculated over 410 miles, but 50% of those miles were speeds less than 60mph where gearing is in the money. typically get 26-29, which isn't the greatest coming from TDI world.
You can easily change the MFD to read correctly... I changed my fuel consumption values from 100% to 110% using obdeleven (same thing as vcds) and now the MFD actually shows slightly higher then hand calculated. I could probably change it to 108% or 109% and it would read bang on or slightly less... It's not perfect but it's very close versus before when it was literally showing 10% lower consumption then hand calculated

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I changed mine to 107% and the display was about 1.5 MPG low. Switched it to 105 and I think it's pretty close to spot-on.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
After monitoring several tanks from the same pump from the same gas station,Changed mine to 102% to get the display read same as hand calculated.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'll have to see after this tank what numbers look like. First tank after the change was off by 0.1L/100km higher then calculated but second was 0.4 higher so I have to monitor and see

desjiem

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
Put winter tires on it.. Michelin X-Ice 3's... good price from discount tire seem quiet and smooth so far. OEM all seasons didn't perform well in the snow.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I changed mine to 107% and the display was about 1.5 MPG low. Switched it to 105 and I think it's pretty close to spot-on.
I used 107 on my '16 Golf. I haven't adjusted my new GSW 4MOTION's factor yet, but I got a hand-calculated 8 L/100 km on my second tank (first tank had been filled by the dealer so I didn't use it), filling at the same station in the same manner. MFD said 7.3, so I will need to fiddle with the factor.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can easily change the MFD to read correctly... I changed my fuel consumption values from 100% to 110% using obdeleven (same thing as vcds) and now the MFD actually shows slightly higher then hand calculated. I could probably change it to 108% or 109% and it would read bang on or slightly less... It's not perfect but it's very close versus before when it was literally showing 10% lower consumption then hand calculated

MFD has always shown more than hand calculation, I'll try and find time and adjust mine but even adjusting an MFD that says 35MPG but hand calculates to 31, I think I'll run out of adjustment.

The 4Mo TSI seems way optimistic, almost like it has the wrong size injectors coded.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used 107 on my '16 Golf. I haven't adjusted my new GSW 4MOTION's factor yet, but I got a hand-calculated 8 L/100 km on my second tank (first tank had been filled by the dealer so I didn't use it), filling at the same station in the same manner. MFD said 7.3, so I will need to fiddle with the factor.
7.3 * 1.1 will net you around 8.

Lots and lots of GSW 4Mo users have reported consistent 25-28MPG but they may be more performance minded than fugal. Either way, the 6MT is your best bet for MPGs.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Second hand-calc'd tank also gave me exactly 8, which is 29.6 mpg US, or 35.5 mpg imperial. I haven't been particularly babying it; cruising at 110 on autoroutes, 70-90 on two-lane roads depending on speed limit/road conditions. Very cold up here, lots of snow and ice on the roads, and brand-new snow tires on top of everything. Dealer told me I could expect 8, and he seems to be right on. I'm pretty sure closer to 7 will be possible in the spring when the snows come off.

So far its a great car, the 6-MT shifts much nicer than the 5-MT in my wife's FWD GSW, but hers is noticeably quieter. VW has removed the felt sound deadening pad under the hood for '18, but also I think the dual exhaust on the 4MO is louder as well.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Second hand-calc'd tank also gave me exactly 8, which is 29.6 mpg US, or 35.5 mpg imperial.

Yeah the GSW with 6MT will beat the DSG Alltrack. Any speeds over 70MPH just tanks the MPGs 2,000rpms is around 60mph, 70 is 2,3-2,400. Enjoy your '18 consider the decontenting a weight savings!!!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yeah the GSW with 6MT will beat the DSG Alltrack. Any speeds over 70MPH just tanks the MPGs 2,000rpms is around 60mph, 70 is 2,3-2,400. Enjoy your '18 consider the decontenting a weight savings!!!
The 6MT cruises at just under 2k rpm at 100 km/h (62 mph), exactly as the 5MT in the FWD hatch I had previously, and my wife's 5MT FWD GSW. So the 6th cog gives it tighter ratios and it's much appreciated. The 5MT was always caught in a no-man's land between 3d and 4th around town. With the 6MT, you can stay in 4th and even sometimes run in 5th at speeds above 55 km/h. The 6MT also has more torque (200 vs 184 lb-ft).

The car is a blast to drive in winter, you can even hang the tail out in a turn if you nail it on a snowy road.

At 110 km/h (68 mph) on the autoroute, zero wind, flat road, the MFD will settle down to between 6.6 and 7.2 L/100 km depending on conditions; overall average the MFD shows around 7.4 for an actual 8, so MFD seems to be about 0.6 L/100 km optimistic making winter MPG on the highway is somewhere around 30-31 mpg. I'll never see 42-43 like I did on my TSI hatch in summer, but I expect I should be able to get around 35 on the highway in summer.