Beam Suspension Rear Sway Bar Option... Finally!

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Well, this is about 5 years too late to the market but I developed a rear beam stiffening bracket which acts like a sway bar. I was trying to work with a few shops/distributors to push this item but things got bogged down with bureaucracy. Now I have a bunch of these in my garage and I want to move them out.
They work great, and the premise is simple: If you can increase the torsional stiffness of the rear beam, you can effectively decrease the understeer of your Jetta. Unfortunately the MK6 design already has a thin hollow tube running through it, making a Shine style sway bars impossible, and a bar over the axle has proven difficult (or unprofitable) since nobody has stepped up to produce one.
I have had a set of these on my car for over two years and 40k miles, including several track events. My co-worked also has a 2013 TDI with one and he noticed an immediate improvement in vehicle response. The difference is similiar to adding 2mm to a sway bar. Your Jetta will stop being a plowing and will lean more towards neutral handling. In banked turns I can get the car into a full 4 wheel drift and maintain it. I can even get the back end to break out in lift-off snap oversteer under some conditions. Granted, I do also have Koni Yellows on the car and a few other toys.
I am not a vendor, but I thought I would offer this unique product that's not available elsewhere for sale. The brackets are billet 6061-T6 with a green anodized coating and stainless hardware. Installation takes about 15 minutes and they don't require drilling and can be removed at any time. I'm asking $105 for a set, which will include shipping within the 48 states. Unfortunately if you live in CA I need to charge sales tax. I can accept through Paypal, credit card or you can mail me a check. If you live locally and can pick them up I can give you a hefty discount in Vista, CA and will even install them for you.
If interested you can e-mail me @ Chaoscreature@hotmail.com or PM me here.

Last edited:

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I'm not interested, but as a fabricator congrats on designing and manufacturing a completed product!

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry guys, I should have clarified.
$67 includes shipping to the US only. I will gladly ship international, but I have to charge the difference in shipping or I will be losing money on the deal. Thank you for understanding!

turbostuff

TDI
2011 Jetta
Got mine installed. They took quite a bit of massaging to fit, i am assuming this is due to the fact that the factory beam is just stamped steel and not precision ground.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, the rear beams are anything but a precision part.
The trick is to slide them along the beam, there is a point where they just "snapped in" on both my car and my coworkers. You can then install the little cover plates loosely and tap them to slide them down the beam to where you want them.
An alternative is to use a C-Clamp to gently compress the beam just a little bit so you can install the brackets.
I hope you like the brackets!

iModAMD

TDI
Jetta TDI 2011
Free bump to Peter !

I installed my kit a few weeks ago and it made a good difference !

Thanks for the awesome product , you should advertise it on vwvortex and facebook groups . Pretty sure there is some peep that want to stiffen up their rear without switching to a IRS setup.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the kind words IModAMD!
I tried to sell them on Vortex, but my post was deleted.
I still have a ton of these at the discounted rate if anyone else wants them. $60 is my cost to make these, but I would much rather see people using them than have then collecting dust in my garage.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Only one pair left! Whoever buys the last pair gets 3 brackets since I have an odd number left. Honestly I wouldn't recommend installing three, but an AX driver wanted three and liked the setup, which is why I have an odd number left now.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
Midwesthick,

I don't know... I thought the A3's all had IRS? No one has ever asked me before and I honestly don't know.
If your A3 has a beam rear suspension that looks like the pictures at the top of this post, and if you could measure the distance across the bottom of the beam and the thickness of the steel, I can let you know if they will fit.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
That's all she wrote. The last pair shipped out today.
Thank you to everyone who bought a pair :cool: