Fuse Blown in enngine compartment - not in fuse box w/ rest of fuses. 97 Passat

Thilicynweb

TDI
97 volkswagon passat
Fuse Blown in engine compartment - not in fuse box w/ rest of fuses. 97 Passat
Now car won't start, or try to turn over. But can be push started.

I have pictures but I can't seem to post them.

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I suspect that that fuse has been gone for a while, and you should look carefully at the big wires going to/from the battery and starter motor. They may look OK but be corroded to the point of not being able to carry the current needed. Also look at the "big" ground wire, since if it's not attached well, the circuit can't be robust enough to turn the starter motor.

It's also possible that the battery is weak, or the starter motor has given up it's "magic smoke".

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
This fuse and control relay is not related to the non-start issue. Deal with this later, if you wish to. Reinstall the red lead but leave the fuse out, or just tape off and insulate that red lead so it doesn't short against anything as it flops around.

mypassat

TDI
Jetta
I believe there was also a recall on the starter switch. Maybe ther was the 1996 model though.

Thilicynweb

TDI
97 volkswagon passat
Would a remote car starter problem tie in to the problem with the car not starting and the blown fuse?

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I don't beleive the fuse blew if any thing it melted from an overheated poor connection at the fuse block. I have no ideal what it's for though.