Fumoto valve for GSW TDI ??

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
Finding conflicting data on the application of a Fumoto valve for the EA288 Golf TDI Sportwagen, so turning to those who might actually have installed one. Some sites show the F106 (or F106SX) will fit, but possibly requiring the ADP-106 adapter.

Since I haven't gotten to 10K miles yet, and haven't been under the car, I don't know if the plastic oil pan cover will interfere with the use of the valve.

Has anyone successfully installed a Fumoto valve on the EA288 GSW ?

Viz

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I am a fan on an oil extractor for MK7 Golfs - only crawl under the car to inspect things...
The good ones are about $80-100, though, a bit more than a fumoto.

Viz

TDI
2001 & 2002 MKIV, 2015 MKVII
I am a fan on an oil extractor for MK7 Golfs - only crawl under the car to inspect things...
The good ones are about $80-100, though, a bit more than a fumoto.
I have extractors, but the 2015 GSW requires an undercar excursion to change the oil filter, so draining the pan while down there isn't as much of an issue.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Ah, I forgot the shame of VW for doing that to the MK7 TDIs. The TSI is right on top as it should be.

I'd go with no, on the Fumoto:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7231007-Anyone-change-their-oil-yet-TDI-specifically
"I was going to install this Fumoto Valve that I had from another car, but even with the extension it wouldn’t fit. There was not enough clearance to get a socket on the extension or a crows foot, and even if I somehow got it torqued, the valve on the end wouldn't spin 360 degrees without hitting something. So again it goes back in the junk drawer. ECS should update their page because they say it will fit. Wasted $10 on the extension. I re-used the original washer, I'll order a few replacements for next time."

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not really a fan of the Fumoto valve. I imagine that they are more prone to be knocked off by road debris than the factory plug.

Also, some interesting reading:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...AhUB22MKHae9Ao0Q1QIImoredCgC&biw=1113&bih=536

I just can't understand why folks take unnecessary short cuts that could damage their car. Changing the oil with a conventional plus isn't all that hard to do and since you are suppose to do a visual inspection of the underside of the engine when you do a scheduled maintenance/oil change. Go ahead and take an extra minute or so to remove and replace the drain plug.

The folks that don't do the required scheduled maintenance and only change the oil will be around shortly..........

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think a fumoto would work with a little trimming of the plastic oil pan cover. But honestly, it isn't that difficult to just remove the drain plug. I'd also be concerned about road debris without a skid plate.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not much faster really. I can have the plug out and back in inside of a minute. I like to let the oil drain for at least 10 minutes.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I had a fumoto on the old jetta with a belly pan and a DG skid plate for 7 oil changes, while it wasn't a must, it was pretty darn nice.

Biggest win was hooking up a drain hose to the nipple and just opening it up and let it go. Where as I'd have the bolt in a socket and be ready for the water fall of warm/hot oil and some splashing in the catch can, was it world ending nahh but def more the cherry on top of the oil change.

Of note: I did try and reuse the jetta fumoto on the Passat with the adapter, I must have over torqued the apdapter when put on the jetta, as when I got it snug on the Passat I felt some give, gave it another 1/4 turn to line up and bam valve and adapter body came off in my hand, threads for adapter still in oil pan. Luckly I was able to use a flat screw driver and back out the threads and tossed back in the original steel OEM plug.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Finding conflicting data on the application of a Fumoto valve for the EA288 Golf TDI Sportwagen, so turning to those who might actually have installed one. Some sites show the F106 (or F106SX) will fit, but possibly requiring the ADP-106 adapter.

Since I haven't gotten to 10K miles yet, and haven't been under the car, I don't know if the plastic oil pan cover will interfere with the use of the valve.

Has anyone successfully installed a Fumoto valve on the EA288 GSW ?

Viz
I've installed a handful of the old F106 + ADP-106 adapters and a couple of the new F106SX and the new style (banjo bolt) is really nice! I'll put one on my wagen at the 20k mark when I do my first at home change. (will let dealer do my free change and then it's on to Schaeffer's for this guy!)

They are SUPER convenient and easy to use and no more oil on yourself, your tools or the floor because you open the valve and the oil goes where it's supposed to go, right in the used oil container. :D It's also great for pulling oil samples. If no one gets around to it, I'll post pics of my car with it installed OR I might be able to find pics of the new style adapter on a MK5 GSW I did not too long ago.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've installed a handful of the old F106 + ADP-106 adapters and a couple of the new F106SX and the new style (banjo bolt) is really nice!
Are you saying that either of those will work on the EA288s?

I've been wanting one of these for a while now. Have done five changes on my Golf and the oil does not "pour" out like my MK4...it GUSHES out everywhere. I've yet to have a splatter-free change yet!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Are you saying that either of those will work on the EA288s?

I've been wanting one of these for a while now. Have done five changes on my Golf and the oil does not "pour" out like my MK4...it GUSHES out everywhere. I've yet to have a splatter-free change yet!
Well, here is the note on Fumoto's site "Your oil pan may have a recessed oil drain port and require the ADP-106 adapter for most valves. Using the F106SX valve might eliminate the need for an adapter. However, if the F106SX can only point down and you have low ground clearance, use the ADP-106 to change the valve orientation."

I have done one of the F106 + ADP-106 adapters on a NMS Passat (same motor) but I haven't done a new SX on one yet. *FULL DISCLOSURE* the old F106 with adapter required removal of the oil pan to properly install. The F106SX is lower profile (diameter) and based on the installs I've done with the new SX model I think it should install without issue AND without actual need for the ADP-106. Maybe I'll get my adapter and will test fit when I get my free oil change done at the dealership, then I can confirm back here.

See attached for some Passat install pics.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having to remove the oil pan pretty much negates the convenience factor I'd say. I wonder if a short length pipe nipple with 90° elbow and plug would help contain the mess. I could see such a setup with a skidplate w/ small access cutout working well. Probably not a good idea without the skidplate.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Having to remove the oil pan pretty much negates the convenience factor I'd say. I wonder if a short length pipe nipple with 90° elbow and plug would help contain the mess. I could see such a setup with a skidplate w/ small access cutout working well. Probably not a good idea without the skidplate.
Yeah, we didn't expect to have to go that far BUT we were committed and had the means so dug in and got it done. :D

I'll see how the fit is with the SX version as the banjo bolt setup is a much easier install without the pan clearance issues. It shouldn't require the adapter so no need to remove the pan. The SX I did on a 2013 JSW fit great, the drain was put at the 4 o-clock position and clearance won't be an issue. I'll update when I can though.

xabjw4

TDI
2015 Golf SW S TDI
Fumoto valve

I used a F106SX on my 2015 Golf SW diesel and it worked good. I did some minor mod to the lever and still has the black plastic safety clip on it. Doesn't interfere with the cover and keeps the oil from dripping at the end of the oil change into the oil pan cover foam. Sweet

Update: Had the 10,000 service done at Valley VW, Staunton VA last week and asked to talk with technician because of my installed Fumoto F106SX valve. No issues for him, has seen them before and likes them. After service asked him about the oil change and he said it went smooth, filter and oil plus other 10k actions. He replaced the black safety clip, saw no issues to be concerned with on having the valve on.

Great, car running great with typically 45 mpg to 51 mpg between mountain and flatland Hwy driving.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I used a F106SX on my 2015 Golf SW diesel and it worked good. I did some minor mod to the lever and still has the black plastic safety clip on it. Doesn't interfere with the cover and keeps the oil from dripping at the end of the oil change into the oil pan cover foam. Sweet
Thanks! ????

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, we didn't expect to have to go that far BUT we were committed and had the means so dug in and got it done. :D

I'll see how the fit is with the SX version as the banjo bolt setup is a much easier install without the pan clearance issues. It shouldn't require the adapter so no need to remove the pan. The SX I did on a 2013 JSW fit great, the drain was put at the 4 o-clock position and clearance won't be an issue. I'll update when I can though.

Thanks for the pics, from what you're showing I'm not seeing the need to pull the pan, is there a bracket that's to the right of the valve in the first pic?

Also did you try to install the adapter first then the valve?

Agreed that this is a dead mod to me if I have to pull the pan.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the pics, from what you're showing I'm not seeing the need to pull the pan, is there a bracket that's to the right of the valve in the first pic?

Also did you try to install the adapter first then the valve?

Agreed that this is a dead mod to me if I have to pull the pan.
The guy above my last post said SX model fit on his GSW without issue. The SX model did not exist when we did that Passat. It's been awhile since we did that one so I can't actually recall the reason we had to but it sucked. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

smorris65

TDI
Golf SEL
I've put these valves on every car I've owned for the past 15 years without any problem, and one on my motorcycle now. I put the SX on my 2015 Civic the day before it was totaled, and now have a 2015 Golf TDI due to the loss. Very nice to put a drain hose on and drain the oil vs having it splash. The SX will rotate and makes it nice. I've had the F106 once screwed in on a SUV and the lever is on top and inconvenient. I never had a leak and was planning on putting one on my TDI. I've also had to use the adapter on an older civic just to extend it out a little to clear the pan.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Yes it will work. You may break a small piece of tha plastic oil pan cover that has the foam in it. No big deal.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Position of the drain valve of the SX can it be had at 3 oclock or does it need to be more or 4 or 5? Also can you rotate the valve after its tightened down? say stow it at 3 and rotate to 5 when draining?

As long as its flush with the oil pan I'll prob pick one up to replace my F106n I had on my CJAA.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
It can not be rotated after tightening. Pretty sure mines at between 4 and 5 o clock. It would drain completely anything at 3 o clock or past.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
sounds good, thanks for the info.

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
So can we confirm the F106SX works for the Golf TDI? NOT the GSW? Due for an oil change and would like to install. Any issues installing?

colezy9

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
My experience is that the Fumoto F106sx indeed works with my 2015 Passat TDI without any mods. Having said that, because of where the oil filter is now located you are going to get dirty replacing the filter anyways. Therefore this is a waste of money in my mind. If the filter was still accessible from the top then I'd be all for the F106sx but I see no benefit now. In fact, my car will be going to the dealer for all future oil changes as the savings of doing it myself isn't worth the hassle or potential of problems trying to get to the oil filter. I'll still purchase my own filter and oil but the dealer can do the task of changing oil and filter.