BEW TDI PD Head Romovalv Replace Valves

Sky King

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle DSG Trans.
I had a failed lifter on my BEW at 128K (06 Beetle). As I was buying a used engine the guy wanted more money that I thought it was worth. 150K miles. I told him, "I already know the cam and lifters aren't any good." He pulled the valve cover and called me back. He said, " Your right" How did I know... because I always the great care of anything mechanical and mine broke and many others broke as well. I've been mad at that car since 2011 and it has gotten "nothing" but oil and fuel filter changes since that time.... and a battery or two. LOL

I did the whole job myself but sent the engine to Frank06 for inspection and had him do the full monty on the head. I also replaced the dual mass flywheel and a few other items. My A/C just went out and I got a few failure codes. I was considering giving this car away. LOL But.... I am going to do some restoration and proper maintenance. I've got 60K on the work I did in 2011. I've never done the brakes either. LOL

Don't take chances with that cam and lifters... they are waiting to nail you. I'd bet the dealer would have charged $10k to fix the car and do the work I did and it would not have been the level of quality and upgrades. Oh well... that's my rant. I am going outsied to work on the bug today. I just learned how to replace the light bulb on the fan and A/C controls... Sneaky SOBs.... That light has been out for 3 years. Hiding it behind the fan knob and inside the shaft.... that just ain't rite. :)

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
When it was said and done the 8 valves, 8 lifters, valve guides and keepers plus the labor was just under $400.

I got a timing belt kit off of ebay ( I know, scary right) for just $125.
(the used cam) looked good and was even on all lobes. Just how it is supposed to be at 140k.
I guess i could've spent 250 on an aftermarket one just to be safe. But it seemed unnecessary.
You are driving on borrowed time, buddy. It sounds like you took every cheap-out shortcut possible:
* Only replaced the valves/guides/lifters
* Re-used the old cam, even though lifters were wedged in their bores
* Fleabay timing belt kit of unknown providence

I hope you have good luck and it works out for you, but when you are redoing the job within a year, please send the head to Frank or another proper rebuilder, install a new cam & properly install a good timing belt kit from a trusted vendor.

Last edited: