TPMS Question

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Our '15 Golf wagon does not have TPMS sensors, however, I got a tire pressure warning today. Any suggestions? Just learning this car and scrolled through menus on the "Car" button on the display, but there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off. The only option is to verify that the pressure is correct.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Newer VWs use "indirect TPMS" where the ABS controller monitors the relative rotational speed of each wheel. If/when you get a TPMS warning it means that the controller has detected a wheel that appears to be turning at the wrong speed (relative to the others). The first thing to do is to check your tire pressure. When the tire pressure is correct in all four wheels, you need to press a reset button to "teach" the ABS controller what the correct values should be. Usually the reset button is in the glove compartment, however, the correct location for your car should be in the owner's manual.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure about the GSW, but on the MKVI sedan it's not as simple as pressing the button in the glove box. Look at your owners manual. The MKVI had a procedure that included turning the key on, waiting, pressing the button, and repeating the process. I've been told they want to make it more complex than simply pushing the button, so people won't do that and ignore the low tire pressure warning.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Thanks, Don and Peter. Didn't know about this new system. Thought it used sensors in the wheels. Our MKVII Golf has a "Car" function button on the "Infotainment" system, and that is where the TPMS settings live. There's no button in the glove box.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Not sure about the GSW, but on the MKVI sedan it's not as simple as pressing the button in the glove box. Look at your owners manual. The MKVI had a procedure that included turning the key on, waiting, pressing the button, and repeating the process. I've been told they want to make it more complex than simply pushing the button, so people won't do that and ignore the low tire pressure warning.
Actually on the MK 6 Sedan it is as simple as pressing the button....you do have to stop and turn the car off and on.....and then press the button....
I moved mine from the Glovebox to the Console

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Our '15 Golf wagon does not have TPMS sensors, however, I got a tire pressure warning today. Any suggestions? Just learning this car and scrolled through menus on the "Car" button on the display, but there doesn't appear to be a way to turn it off. The only option is to verify that the pressure is correct.
Damn Paul! You are sounding like a newby!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
We have that type of monitor in the 2013 Mini. It is nice not to have to worry about sensors in the wheels. When driving on an uneven road, the monitor went off. There are draw backs to this system but I think it is better than individual wheel sensors. The system looks at wheel speed where a flat tire would rotate faster than a inflated tire.

We just go into the system and reset the warning. Pretty easy and it makes you get out and have a look before continuing on.

We have sensors in the wheels in the Element and they are a real pain. They have to be programmed when I switch from winters to summers. Last winter, they couldn't program the switch so I had the TPMS light on of 4 months.

The system I have in the Beetle is a little more old school :)