Oil in coolant tank

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
I had oil overflowing the coolant tank. What are the sources of oil into the coolant? I removed the oil cooler and checked the coolant side with a vacuum, it held 25 In Hg.

Thanks!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Look at the condition of the engine oil on the dipstick. If it looks milky or unlike the typical jet black pure oil, you might have a head gasket failure with coolant entering the oil and vice versa.

ajjw0828

TDI
2005 Passat GLS (5.5.) 2.0L BHW
Sounds like a head gasket. I would do what Tom says and pull the dip stick. You may have gotten lucky and the oil only went into the coolant. Just see if the oil looks white/ milky. If its only in the coolant I'd say that's the luckier symptom to have.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil to coolant only

Oil to coolant only. Oil was 1.5 quarts low. This car uses 1 quart at 10k. Not near that at this failure. So the head is coming off now!

Thanks

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Oil pressure >> coolant pressure, so not uncommon to only see oil in the coolant as the result of a headgasket breach. :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Could also be a head or possibly oil cooler. Never seen either fail that way on a BHW though.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
I had put a vacuum on the coolant side of the oil cooler. No drop in vacuume. I put 65 psig on the coolant side and under water, NO bubbles. SO I changed the head gasket. ALL looked good, no warping. All flat. Put it back together, still getting oil in the coolant. No coolant in the oil. So today I bypassed the coolant lines to the oil cooler. With open coolant connections on the oil cooler, engine running, cooler is leaking it is a Nissens, replaced 4 years ago... Is any aftermarket good??? VW is expensive and not sure who makes it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nissens can be hit or miss quality wise, usually most of their stuff is reasonably good, as good as a lot of things that are not OEM.

Regarding the BHW's oil cooler: the part number has been updated numerous times, starting with a B suffix, then C, D, and finally E. The E suffix is the same one used on the CBEA/CJAA CR engines. 038-117-021-E and I have found the one we get from Worldpac to be identical to the OEM one. They were Febi branded, but that means very little. Mahle, KTM, Modine, Mann+Hummel, and others are some of the OEM suppliers, but I do not recall an actual name being on these particular coolers.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a good used VW oil cooler from a 2007 V6 Touareg from LKQ for $15, cleaned and flushed. Working great!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is technically a "heat exchanger", so it will work to equalize any difference in the two liquids (or gasses, or whatever). In the case of these oil coolers, they actually work to warm the oil early on, as the coolant starts to warm up quicker than the oil does, and cold oil is not good for the engine. You actually want the oil pretty close to the point of boiling water to insure any leftoever water vapor from the combustion process floating about inside the crankcase gets reliably turned to gas so as not to sludge up the insides. Diesels are not bad about this, however, since they do not have nearly as much water vapor inside anyway as they are burning much less fuel.