my oil froze solid....and vw doesnt care.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I think a disgruntled ex-employee from that dealer pissed in that 507.00 drum

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
^^^nope. It has been available in drums for over a year, but not all dealers buy it that way. Probably depends on the quantity that they need..
My dealer has been using Valvoline Synpower XL-III 5w30 504/507 from a 55 gal drum since 2010. I questioned them about bulk oil back then and they showed me the drum.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=300570
Thanks wasn't sure. Could they store the oil in under ground tank or above ground. I think the dealer knew that water was in the oil.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
55-gal drum (portable) is definitely stored above ground. No need for the complications, or volume, of below-ground storage.

Spokane Walt

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta Sedan GLS TDI 5sp, 2000 Jetta 2.0 AEG Gas, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon 5sp (wrecked - have some parts!)
Valvoline Synpower

My dealer has been using Valvoline Synpower XL-III 5w30 504/507 from a 55 gal drum since 2010. I questioned them about bulk oil back then and they showed me the drum.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=300570
Correct: Note... that Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5w30 is NOT available to the public in qt bottles (or L bottles) - the SynPower 5W30 that one can buy at the Auto Parts store is NOT a 504/507 Approved Oil - just mentioning that so that people don't buy Valvoline Synpower 5w30 at the auto parts store and think they are getting a VW Approved Oil.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Correct: Note... that Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5w30 is NOT available to the public in qt bottles (or L bottles) - the SynPower 5W30 that one can buy at the Auto Parts store is NOT a 504/507 Approved Oil - just mentioning that so that people don't buy Valvoline Synpower 5w30 at the auto parts store and think they are getting a VW Approved Oil.
I never said it was.
The question was about bulk oil at dealerships. Settle down here no misinformation was passed on. The stuff you are eluding to is not Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5w30. Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30 ls not available at the auto parts store either but it is available to dealerships in 55 gal drums.

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
I never said it was.
The question was about bulk oil at dealerships. Settle down here no misinformation was passed on. The stuff you are eluding to is not Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5w30. Castrol EDGE Professional Longlife III 5W-30 ls not available at the auto parts store either but it is available to dealerships in 55 gal drums.
Thanks for verifying that Valvoline SynPower XL-III 5w30 is NOT VW 504/507 approved so misinformation is NOT passed along :D

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Just to eliminate any confusion, I just wanted to point out that I agree with the previous three posters agreeing with each other.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
[B This is not 507.00 approved please read your link:rolleyes:[/B]

Valvoline SynPower XL-III is a 504/507 oil, follow the link in my signature to the 507 list hosted on a VAG server. And to be perfectly pedantic it is available to the public. Just not in consumer retail stores located in the United States afaik.

At least one point made recently is valid. Always be exactly sure you get exactly the right oil. Oils are commonly named across a brand recognized naming system. Just because it has part of the name does not mean it is the specific oil required especially when discussing the mostly etherial 504/507 approved oils.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
[B This is not 507.00 approved please read your link:rolleyes:[/B]
I don't know what you read but it clearly states VW 507.00 approved.

The information contained herein is correct to the best of our knowledge. The recommendations or suggestions contained in this bulletin are made without guarantee or representation as to results. We suggest that you evaluate these recommendations and suggestions in your own laboratory prior to use. Our
responsibility for claims arising from breach of warranty, negligence or otherwise is limited to the
purchase price of the material. Freedom to use any patent
owned by Ashland or others is not to be inferred from any statement contained herein.
Product Information
A PRODUCT OF THE VALVOLINE COMPANY A DIVISION OF ASHLAND INC.
Valvoline SynPower XL-II SAE 5W30036/03
Valvoline SynPower XL-III motor oil SAE 5W30
is a premium LongLife III synthetic motor oil for VolkswagenEuroIV engines with DPF technology (Diesel Particle Filter). The product replaces the VW specifications 503.00,506.00, 506.01 and is suitable for engines with WIV system, for extra long drain intervals up to 30.000 Km. or 2ears. SynPower XLIII SAE 5W30 can be used in modern VW, AUDI, Seat and Skoda gasoline and diesel enginesand gives excellent protection even under extreme circumstances. Can be mixed with all a.m. motor oil The Valvoline SynPower XL-III motor oil advantages*Extended drain performance:
Suitable for long drain intervals according to VW/AUDI specifications.*
Environment:
Suitable for EURO IV engines with Diesel Particle Filters
* Fuel efficiency :
Enhanced fuel efficiency vs reference oil.
* Storage and handling:Less oil qualities, less containers, less mistakes; can be used where VW
503.00, 506.00, 506.01 are recommended* Wear protection:
Excellent wear protection enhances engine life time.
Performance levels
SAE Viscosity Grade ACEA A3/B4-04
5W-30VW 504.00 (gasoline engines)
5W-30VW 507.00 (diesel engines)
5W-30 Can be used where:
VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.015W-30 are specified

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, it is 504/507.00 compliant. We are a Valvoline retailer (reseller, jobber), but they won't give us any better of a deal than Worldpac gives us on Pentosin, so we don't use it.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
I don't know what you read but it clearly states VW 507.00 approved.

The information contained herein is correct to the best of our knowledge. The recommendations or suggestions contained in this bulletin are made without guarantee or representation as to results. We suggest that you evaluate these recommendations and suggestions in your own laboratory prior to use. Our
responsibility for claims arising from breach of warranty, negligence or otherwise is limited to the
purchase price of the material. Freedom to use any patent
owned by Ashland or others is not to be inferred from any statement contained herein.
Product Information
A PRODUCT OF THE VALVOLINE COMPANY A DIVISION OF ASHLAND INC.
Valvoline SynPower XL-II SAE 5W30036/03
Valvoline SynPower XL-III motor oil SAE 5W30
is a premium LongLife III synthetic motor oil for VolkswagenEuroIV engines with DPF technology (Diesel Particle Filter). The product replaces the VW specifications 503.00,506.00, 506.01 and is suitable for engines with WIV system, for extra long drain intervals up to 30.000 Km. or 2ears. SynPower XLIII SAE 5W30 can be used in modern VW, AUDI, Seat and Skoda gasoline and diesel enginesand gives excellent protection even under extreme circumstances. Can be mixed with all a.m. motor oil The Valvoline SynPower XL-III motor oil advantages*Extended drain performance:
Suitable for long drain intervals according to VW/AUDI specifications.*
Environment:
Suitable for EURO IV engines with Diesel Particle Filters
* Fuel efficiency :
Enhanced fuel efficiency vs reference oil.
* Storage and handling:Less oil qualities, less containers, less mistakes; can be used where VW
503.00, 506.00, 506.01 are recommended* Wear protection:
Excellent wear protection enhances engine life time.
Performance levels
SAE Viscosity Grade ACEA A3/B4-04
5W-30VW 504.00 (gasoline engines)
5W-30VW 507.00 (diesel engines)
5W-30 Can be used where:
VW 503.00, 506.00, 506.015W-30 are specified
On the bottom. It reads all the information above is for Europe only

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
I feel even better about the fact that I have 31,000 miles on my Golf and the dealer hasn't touched it.:D

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
MonsterTDI09 said:
On the bottom. It reads all the information above is for Europe only
What is says is:

"This information only applies to products manufactured in the following location(s): Europe"

If you read the the label on the drum of the Valvoline XL-III oil you'll notice that it is made in Europe - the Netherlands I believe.

Therefore, this information would apply to the product that is being used here.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I will offer up for consideration what at least one other poster said....possible head gasket problem. Whenever I have seen milkshake in the oil circuit a I almost always have found it to be a head gasket problem. The cold weather would tend to mask any resulting overheating. Have you checked your coolant level?

MonsterTDI09

TDI
Well for what its worth that is the oil my dealership uses and it has 504/507 stenciled on the drum. I asked to see it. No I didn't take a picture.

Fine no problem:)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I will offer up for consideration what at least one other poster said....possible head gasket problem. Whenever I have seen milkshake in the oil circuit a I almost always have found it to be a head gasket problem. The cold weather would tend to mask any resulting overheating. Have you checked your coolant level?
On diesels with their high compression the water/coolant is usually contaminated and blown out. Not the other way around unless there is a crack in the head somewhere.

armedferret

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT, 2013 Golf DSG (wife's)
That doesn't make sense - the car can't get up to proper oil pressure until the car is running, it doesn't make full pressure at cranking so not allowing the car to start before getting full pressure...well, the car would never start...

The car will shut itself off if oil pressure doesn't come up, though. But you said no start, not start then stall, so...

Please don't put words in my mouth. Re-read what I posted, then read your post again. Hopefully you'll understand why what I said, isn't what you're claiming I said. (Hint: "full pressure" vs. "no pressure".)

If the oil is frozen solid as it was, there wouldn't be any oil pressure. Not "low" pressure, NO pressure. If an engine has zero oil pressure, nearly all cars these days have a safety circuit in the computer to not send fuel through the injectors if it sees zero oil pressure.

If that's still too complex to understand, please refrain from posting and misunderstanding what I'm saying, resulting in more words being put in my mouth. ;)

Will--zero issues all week. More snow on Monday, so you know we'll probably be red again. :D

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
Tuesday 28-Jan might be a test, high 17F low 5F. My wife's 2012 Golf has been outside all winter - keeping my fingers crossed.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Wow.
Cevans made one post in this thread and you need to jump the guy's sh!t as if he had been following you around the internet harassing you.
That's a guy who has been a member keeping this community alive and helpful for TWELVE YEARS.
People skills.
Good luck with your car. I hope you don't have many questions in the future.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Please don't put words in my mouth. Re-read what I posted, then read your post again. Hopefully you'll understand why what I said, isn't what you're claiming I said. (Hint: "full pressure" vs. "no pressure".)

If the oil is frozen solid as it was, there wouldn't be any oil pressure. Not "low" pressure, NO pressure. If an engine has zero oil pressure, nearly all cars these days have a safety circuit in the computer to not send fuel through the injectors if it sees zero oil pressure.

If that's still too complex to understand, please refrain from posting and misunderstanding what I'm saying, resulting in more words being put in my mouth. ;)

Will--zero issues all week. More snow on Monday, so you know we'll probably be red again. :D
Your car does not have a "safety circuit" that cuts fueling with no oil pressure. You can remove the oil plug, let all the oil out of the engine, start it up and drive. Engine will keep running until it destroys itself.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Your OIL was not 'frozen solid', the water in the filter was frozen. There is NO OIL PRESSURE INTERLOCK on your car. Less BS, please.

Bill

armedferret

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT, 2013 Golf DSG (wife's)
Wow.
Cevans made one post in this thread and you need to jump the guy's sh!t as if he had been following you around the internet harassing you.
That's a guy who has been a member keeping this community alive and helpful for TWELVE YEARS.
People skills.
Good luck with your car. I hope you don't have many questions in the future.
I was correcting him for making it seem like I had said things I hadn't. If that's considered "jumping his sh*t" then perhaps skin around here is thinner than i'd thought.

i haven't been here twelve years. but i have been on numerous other car boards for over 20. it does seem like the jump to conclusions mat is fairly large around here. it's nice to see at least one person decide to ragequit and TAKE A STAND!!! when it comes to whether i have questions in the future. correcting someone for putting words in my mouth is a dick move? classy.

as for 40x40, actually, yes. my OIL was frozen solid. that's why it had to sit on the lift in the maintenance bay for 2 nights in order to allow it all to thaw and drain from the pan. perhaps a better phrasing is in order: there was so much straight water inside my oil, that ALL the oil was suspended in the water which was frozen solid, preventing any oil from moving around. the photo is of the filter, presumably because the service manager's iPhone wouldn't fit through the drain plug hole to get a good photo of the entire contents of the pan frozen solid. ;) along with that, again, paying attention to detail before claiming i'm posting BS would behoove you. note i said NEARLY all cars. Nowhere did I state that my jetta had one, only that it was a reasonable guess due to the presence of that feature on many other cars.

it's unfortunate VW doesn't have that feature, considering how easy it would be to add these days.

really starting to regret the purchase now.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I was correcting him for making it seem like I had said things I hadn't. If that's considered "jumping his sh*t" then perhaps skin around here is thinner than i'd thought.

i haven't been here twelve years. but i have been on numerous other car boards for over 20. it does seem like the jump to conclusions mat is fairly large around here. it's nice to see at least one person decide to ragequit and TAKE A STAND!!! when it comes to whether i have questions in the future. correcting someone for putting words in my mouth is a dick move? classy.

as for 40x40, actually, yes. my OIL was frozen solid. that's why it had to sit on the lift in the maintenance bay for 2 nights in order to allow it all to thaw and drain from the pan. perhaps a better phrasing is in order: there was so much straight water inside my oil, that ALL the oil was suspended in the water which was frozen solid, preventing any oil from moving around. the photo is of the filter, presumably because the service manager's iPhone wouldn't fit through the drain plug hole to get a good photo of the entire contents of the pan frozen solid. ;) along with that, again, paying attention to detail before claiming i'm posting BS would behoove you. note i said NEARLY all cars. Nowhere did I state that my jetta had one, only that it was a reasonable guess due to the presence of that feature on many other cars.

it's unfortunate VW doesn't have that feature, considering how easy it would be to add these days.

really starting to regret the purchase now.

(facepalm) Welcome to my ignore list.

Bye,
Bill