www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 24th, 2019, 10:41   #16
rhinorear

I can't remember were I read it but isn't there a special procedure you're meant to follow to drain, or is it to refill? As I understand it the manual tranny is literally laying on its side and filling it till the oil spills out is not the correct way?

Not that I'm going to adhere but I also read the tranny oil type is meant to be good for the life of the vehicle, or does the service manual indicate a fluid change is necessary?
rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 10:48   #17
alext91
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinorear View Post
I can't remember were I read it but isn't there a special procedure you're meant to follow to drain, or is it to refill? As I understand it the manual tranny is literally laying on its side and filling it till the oil spills out is not the correct way?

Not that I'm going to adhere but I also read the tranny oil type is meant to be good for the life of the vehicle, or does the service manual indicate a fluid change is necessary?
These cars you can fill until it spills out if the car is level. You may be thinking of DSG transmission? Yes this fluid is technically "lifetime" aka 100k miles but I chose to change it early due to sitting and shift quality

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
1996 Yamaha FZR 600 (Sold)
alext91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:47   #18
rhinorear

You are probably right aboot the DSG confusion.

I hear ya. I'm of the same mind set. I'll be changing mine out soon for the same reason with only 30,000 miles
Old September 25th, 2019, 08:51   #19
tactdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

On the BRMs with the 5sp manual trans, the trans is installed/bolted to the engine at an angle.
The fill hole is pointing down, and if you fill the trans until fluid flows out, the trans will be under filled. You either fill the trans off the car and level, or when on the car, fill using the fill hole until fluid flows out, then remove the reverse switch, and fill the remaining amount (what the manual calls for a full transmission fill).
tactdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 00:34   #20
Henrick
Veteran Member

I have changed my trans fluid at 35'000 km (due to leaky seal on the CV flange).
It looked like that too.
Henrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 10:05   #21
rhinorear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactdi View Post
On the BRMs with the 5sp manual trans, the trans is installed/bolted to the engine at an angle.
The fill hole is pointing down, and if you fill the trans until fluid flows out, the trans will be under filled. You either fill the trans off the car and level, or when on the car, fill using the fill hole until fluid flows out, then remove the reverse switch, and fill the remaining amount (what the manual calls for a full transmission fill).

WOW! That's crazy wacked