jetta rental

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
renting a jetta from AVIS for our road trip to Florida, what mpgs can I expect and is the car going to be a turd or half decent cruising at 80 mph for hours on end?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My 2017 Jetta S TSi, auto transmission, 1.4L (gasoline) averaged 40.196 MPG on a trip from TX to CT in pouring rain (one way, clear coming back).

I drove 4,083 miles and burned 101.577 gallons of 87 octane. Cruise was set a 75 MPH 90 % of the time and the A/C was on all the way.

The 1.4L surprised me as to how it performed. Not a TDI, but respectable.

Trip was Oct/Nov 2017 and car had 4,000 miles on it at the time.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I've got a '16 Jetta 1.4 stick. Drove across AZ and NM at over 80 with the CC set no problem. Haven't gotten around to calculating the numbers yet but aja gave you those.

Passing power is good too.

Doesn't have the off the line bottom end of a TDI but once it gets going it's better than my '98.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Use the Tip once you're up and moving at speed. Whichever trans it will have, it will be downshift happy on the hills for no good reason. Tip it and keep it in 6th, it will usually help fuel economy. That has been my experience with 2.5L VAG rentals, anyway. The "new" 1.8L engine has about the same output as the late 2.5L did.

I doubt Enterprise has anything besides 1.8L cars in their Jetta or Passat offerings (they don't do Golfs, because 'murrica).

We deal with them pretty frequently here, and they usually have mid level SE cars. All automatics, of course.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
good info, of course it's "jetta or similar" so who knows what I'll actually be driving

oilhammer

TDI
I am more picky. But we have a good relationship with Enterprise, although I rarely need to rent anything. We send them so much business, and they give us a really good deal.

Last time I asked for a Volkswagen, and even though they did not have one at their local place, they brought one up from a nearby one for me. :)

I've also had to rent a Versa.... never again. Gosh what a turd.

Usually I am only getting them for a customer that is not nearby, and I offer to come get their car for them and exchange the rental, so they appreciate a Volkswagen even if it isn't the same as what they drive.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Used to fly into Orlando a lot. With Enterprise you just pick a car out of the lot. They had three classes to choose from based on how many times you used them. At the end I was in the top. Then my company switched to Hertz.

Never drove the same car twice unless I wanted to like a Sebring convertible.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Use the Tip once you're up and moving at speed. Whichever trans it will have, it will be downshift happy on the hills for no good reason. Tip it and keep it in 6th, it will usually help fuel economy. That has been my experience with 2.5L VAG rentals, anyway. The "new" 1.8L engine has about the same output as the late 2.5L did.

I doubt Enterprise has anything besides 1.8L cars in their Jetta or Passat offerings (they don't do Golfs, because 'murrica).

We deal with them pretty frequently here, and they usually have mid level SE cars. All automatics, of course.
My 2.5 does that and its extremely annoying. Like on a slight hill it will downshift from 6th to 4th for no good reason at all.When you put it in tip mode and keep it in 6th, it pulls the hill no problem.

The 09G would have been a decent transmission if it wasn't handicapped with craptastic software.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
My favorite rental company now is Silvercar. Owned by Audi you always get a silver A4 (some have Q5s too). Rented in LA, Denver, and Orlando with a great experience every time. I took one last summer from Denver to Nebraska for the eclipse. Averaged 30 mpg.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
ended up with a double upgrade to MB c300

diesel guy here but hard to beat 35mpg @ 85mph (according to the car) in comfort and an engine that still wants to pull

oilhammer

TDI
The C-class is too cramped for me to feel comfortable, although the seats are decent. The car is just too narrow for my fat ass. :p

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
The C-class is too cramped for me to feel comfortable, although the seats are decent. The car is just too narrow for my fat ass. :p
Agree and I realize it's an entry level MB, but still, going from 20 year old pickup trucks to an '18 with 4000 miles on it was nice

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
ended up with a double upgrade to MB c300

diesel guy here but hard to beat 35mpg @ 85mph (according to the car) in comfort and an engine that still wants to pull
My late lamented 2013 JSW TDI 6M - now buyback emeritus - sat alongside my wife's MB C-250 coupe.

Coupe logged 35 mpg (highway, calc'd) - - - - but much less than 85 mph!

ez

Last edited: