The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I do but they’re not uploaded yet. I’ll do that and post a picture. It’s just a u-shape cradle that mounts to the front motor mount. Although this one was jacked so I had to get creative.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
On the fence about selling my B4V. Only drive it once a week, feel bad about not giving her attention. At the same time, I don't want to give it away. Have kept up with the maintenance, had things repaired at TDI suggested shops. Has only 205,000 miles on her. Any input? Advice? In Winchester VA. In case someone wants to visit her.

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
Had a coolant leak that looked like it was from the crusty rusty steel water pipe that runs over top of trans from heater core. I had 2 in the basement brand new so i tossed one on and figured it was fixed. Had 430k on it so no big surprise. 2 days later coolant light was flashing again and it was low and leaking on top of bellhousing again in same spot. It ended up being the o-ring on the coolant flange on end of head. That was definitely original and untouched for sure since I’ve owned it (over 12yrs) . All fixed now. I honestly can’t complain about having to work on this thing much. Thats the first problem Ive had in well over a year aside from normal door handle issues that pop up. Only other thing I’ve touched in past year was i cleaned the contacts on the fuel gauge sender and fixed the gauge randomly dropping off at 1/2 tank. I still daily it everyday like 50miles with no worries.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
These two are in the IDParts warehouse right now.

They make me smile when I see them. A little bit of TDI history. And still great cars.
Nice to keep them safe from the NE winter weather 👍 When was the last time "P" Wagon went out for a spin around the block? 🤔

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2017. And it's not going anywhere right now. The radiator give up a couple years ago, so there's no coolant in it. The clutch hydraulics don't work. And it's been long enough since the last timing belt change that I wouldn't start it without a new timing belt.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
A time capsule then. Hopefully the leather is holding up (We know what happens) since it's in the protection of the great indoors.

Starion_slider

TDI
1996 B4 sedan
My drivers seat is really the only damaged leather in my car. Rear seats are still all intact. Its my work car so it’s always full of junk and both my dogs claw up the back seat but surprisingly that 90’s vw leather has only hardened up a bit but still holds up good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The seats look good. And I have some VW boxed leather care That I'm going to apply. I will say that the GLX seats are significantly more comfortable than the TDI cloth seats.

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Blew the intercooler hose off behind the battery.... that's what i get for acting like a degenerate.
I must have not tightened the v band clamp enough

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
These two are in the IDParts warehouse right now.

They make me smile when I see them. A little bit of TDI history. And still great cars.
What year and how many miles on the Windsor Blue wagon? Didn't know you had one of them, only one I remember was an sweet Indian Red wagon you had back in '07....

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Repaired the damaged glow plug harness. Someone did a really crappy job with spade connectors. I repinned the factory connections.

Also ordered all new coil springs, bilstein struts, coolant flanges, and some other maintenance items from ID parts!!!

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Did some work to the 96 Wagon..
Cabin air filter.
Topped of oil. Shes using a little under a quart every 1000 miles, not terrible for an engine with 320,000 and has been tuned a minute.

Installed front struts and new springs to replace the KV coils that would bottom out on literally anything.

I cannot source the upper coil spring retainer for the rear struts. I can probably use front ones with washers but thats not ideal. (Im replacing the coil overs with stock susp so im missing a lot of pieces)

Or maybe steal them out of mk3 parts car?

Anyone have a source/ link?

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
I replaced the 109 relay with a spare after thumbing a ride home with coworkers to get my spare relay. Won’t be caught like that again.
Thankfully I’ve spent enough time reading on TDI club to know about the ECU error checking on the glow/CEL lights so I knew most likely where to go to troubleshoot it!
I should have paid more attention to the couple random stumbles I had last week which probably indicated it was getting flaky….
Jumper wire is in the car now until I can get a spare 109 relay on hand.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
'97 Passat x2
Finally moved my grey B4 indoors after an almost 3 year stay in my father's backyard. Unceremoniously drug backward with a locked left rear wheel with my brothers Bobcat 863 to get into position for a tow dolly ride. Freed the wheel up by removing the pads. It got squirrelly on the highway since it had no engine and the trunk and backseat were packed with parts in totes. Was able to get it under control again but took up both lanes to do so. After that, it got a wash at a pull-through self service car wash and isn't looking so forlorn as before.
Had a run-in with a small fast deer tonight with I-red, no real damage just a small crack on the left corner lens. I was like, really? REALLY? it had all day yesterday and all day today to think about getting across the road. There are no coincidences. Grateful it wasn't worse, good to make strides again with B4's

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Swapped out the Rocketchip tuned ECU in my sedan for an allegedly bricked stock ECU that Jack (PO) gave me with the car. At my guru's suggestion I opened it and reset the chips before hooking it up. Turns out it works perfectly.

Stock tune drives smoother at low speeds, and car seems quieter, probably because it's running less timing advance and fuel. Significantly less pull in 4th and 5th, but I kind of like that with 90 HP this thing can happily cruise at 75-80 MPH.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Jeff’s chips had an issue with low speed shudder he refused to acknowledge and always blamed the car, but went away with the VSS wire disconnected. It’s why I switched to Malone tunes, which did not have the same issue ancross many tunes…until I got Windex’s wagon. It has the slowdown shudder so I put the VSS on a switch to just shut it off if I was cruising in that range. It’s also why I’ll be working with Burpod soon for a new tune. After driving a stock car out here for a test drive I’m not sure I can go back.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I agree on the RC tunes. I found it was manageable with stock injectors, but if you increased fueling it was for sure present. I gave up on the tune on my A3 and ran it stock with .205s. I briefly had a Kerma tune for it and dyno'd it. All it did was increase boost, so no shudder, but not much of a power increase either.

I actually think I like the Passat stock. My son and I always joked that a B4 is never going to be fast, but tuned it would give that illusion at low speeds. Now it's just smooth and slow. I think it suits the car. Still has no trouble running at 75-80 with the .71 fifth gear.