60 MPG / 900 Mile Club / 1000 Mile Club

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Not trying to burst your bubble, but the Passat has a bigger fuel tank. So 900/1000 miles is not record breaking.

Bajan

I know the Passat has an 18.5 gallon tank, but it still is impressive to me. I will be really impressed with a 1,000 mile tank because it is a large car with all kinds of emission stuff on it.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If others are consistently passing you, then it's the right lane only for you. Don't ask others to pass you on the right. Staying in the middle lane is not ok. You're just a rolling roadblock.

Florida drivers are consistently unskilled and self-centered. The rules of the road are as old as the road itself.

Keep right except when passing. Period.

Safety on todays major highways has nothing to do with the speed limit. It is about smooth fluid dynamics and predictability in actions.

Not milking the tank. Get the lead out.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
If others are consistently passing you, then it's the right lane only for you. Don't ask others to pass you on the right. Staying in the middle lane is not ok. You're just a rolling roadblock.

Florida drivers are consistently unskilled and self-centered. The rules of the road are as old as the road itself.

Keep right except when passing. Period.

Safety on todays major highways has nothing to do with the speed limit. It is about smooth fluid dynamics and predictability in actions.

Not milking the tank. Get the lead out.

I guess reading isn't your strong point, because I said I was in the SLOW lane the whole time.

I'll agree the speed limit doesn't really matter anymore, unless a cop is around. Keeping traffic going smoothly is the most important factor nowadays. I'll disagree with the keep right, period comment. If there isn't much traffic, then I think it is fine to stay in the left passing lane, but the moment you look in your rear-view mirror and see a car coming up fast, then you need to move over immediately. If you don't, then you are part of the problem.

Unfortunately in FL, we will never see that happen in our lifetime. Too many people that 'obey' the speed limit, too many tourist, too many construction areas, too many idiots on their phones, and too much congestion. The people who 'obey' the speed limit are the biggest problem because they will not move over whatsoever because in their mind they aren't doing anything illegal, because they don't know they have to move over for the upcoming, faster vehicle no matter if they are going the limit already. People that are on their phone are a big problem now too. They tend to get in the left passing lane, because they think they are less at risk of causing an issue. They know no one can pass them on the left and don't have to worry about on-coming traffic like they do in the right lane.

Back on topic, I will hopefully be able to get a attempt to get a 1k mile tank again. Girls are done with swim lessons, but my oldest starts school next Friday. It's going to be tough to do, but hopefully I can get at least a 900 mile tank.

Last edited:

JerryPT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS wagon
"The people who 'obey' the speed limit are the biggest problem..."

An example of the tyranny of the majority. Correctly stated: The people who don't obey the speed limit are the biggest problem. Slow down. Save fuel and lives.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Or stated another way - we’re all the problem. Neither is right or wrong, we need to figure out how to play nicely with each other.

Be curtious and respectful of one another and we can both travel down the same road together with minimal stress.

When either side starts getting selfish or entitled, the rationalization and whining starts about the relative positions.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I've seen the traffic studies and a university even made a nice animation based off the traffic from a major LA freeway. The gist was ONE driver going slower (and ironically the posted limit) caused massive traffic jams. They modeled the same traffic volume without the one slow driver and there were no traffic jams.

Also I remember my CHP training video from driver's ed - this topic was brought up and roll played. Driver complained "but I'm doing the speed limit". The training officer said you can actually get a ticket for impeding traffic, best to speed up a little and "go with the flow"

I wonder how many southern states would give you that advise, rather than give you a ticket for 1mph over?

Jason

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
I know what I'm about to say is going to be very unpopular but here goes----I too live in Florida, and I love to see my fuel economy go higher & higher, I am getting 48.9 mph on my 2004 Jetta 5 speed wagon, and I think that is outstanding,would I like better sure I would BUT I am not willing to become a hazard to myself & the other people on the road. I normally drive right at the speed limit no more then 5 over that keeps the cops away--BUT driving @ 50 mph in a 70 mph zone is nothing but rude and obnoxious. Here in Florida it seems that everyone on I-95 thinks that is the speed limit instead of the Hwy #. But here it is illegal to drive in the left lane and hold up traffic--not that the police ever enforce that but never the less it is---But please if you want to drive slower then I go on a bicycle then for God's sake please stay out of Florida--here you are going to die-and you may take others with you.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I know what I'm about to say is going to be very unpopular but here goes----I too live in Florida, and I love to see my fuel economy go higher & higher, I am getting 48.9 mph on my 2004 Jetta 5 speed wagon, and I think that is outstanding,would I like better sure I would BUT I am not willing to become a hazard to myself & the other people on the road. I normally drive right at the speed limit no more then 5 over that keeps the cops away--BUT driving @ 50 mph in a 70 mph zone is nothing but rude and obnoxious. Here in Florida it seems that everyone on I-95 thinks that is the speed limit instead of the Hwy #. But here it is illegal to drive in the left lane and hold up traffic--not that the police ever enforce that but never the less it is---But please if you want to drive slower then I go on a bicycle then for God's sake please stay out of Florida--here you are going to die-and you may take others with you.
sounds good to me!
i drove 1 tankful to push mpg to 62, once. the stress from that tank, going 55, forced me to never do that again, that was on a 3 lane freeway.

Coreyws98

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I know this is a old thread but how many of you still have the alh engine cars and how many miles are they getting on them now?

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
I know this is a old thread but how many of you still have the alh engine cars and how many miles are they getting on them now?
I've got a 2002 Wagon with 196k miles. Still getting slightly better than 50mpg with a mostly highway commute in the DC area. It's trending slightly down as traffic has been trending up.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
About 44-45 mpg when commuting steadily but on hills (Rt 7 west of you Variant). Not flat enough to know what I would get flat, but suspect 49-50 mpg would be close.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
My cousin sent me a text that said “I should get fuel soon”
...accompanied by a photo of his odometer.
289,697mi on the clock
705.5mi on the trip
1/8th tank remaining.

You do the math.
Mk4 golf, ALH, EGR Delete, kerma tune.

Last edited:

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Just a regular guy driving

Just wanted ot report my best MPG without mods or hypermilling:

2015 VW Sportwagen TDI with DSG (84k miles): 57mpg

Long trips are regularly 53-55 mpg.

Coreyws98

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
I just recently purchased a 2002 Jetta Tdi with about 257k on it. Runs and drives great but needs timing belt done soon. Looking forward to seeing what I can get for mpg out of it.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
10 years or so ago Texas tried to lower the speed limit from 70 to 55. It's back to 70. 80 out west. 45-48 on my Jetta at 70ish

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

DieselSport15

TDI
2015 Sportwagen SEL, 2014 Touareg Exec.
Just wanted ot report my best MPG without mods or hypermilling:
2015 VW Sportwagen TDI with DSG (84k miles): 57mpg
Long trips are regularly 53-55 mpg.

I have the same car with half the miles. Are you getting your MPG off the MFI dash reading or actual miles driven/fuel added calculation? What size tires are you running? I have the SEL with a Kerma tune on 18's and lowered. The best ACTUAL mileage I get is about 45-48mpg doing 95% commute at about 70-75mph, while my MFI is saying I'm getting between 57-62mpg ???? I literally don't get how people are seeing these mid-50+ mpg tanks on the new TDIs!??

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I literally don't get how people are seeing these mid-50+ mpg tanks on the new TDIs!??
I have a '15 Golf 6MT, drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco and more than halfway back on one tank. Figure about 40 miles of that was city though not stop and go traffic. I put just under 12 gallons in the tank at 620 miles. So just over 50 hand calculated. That was cruise control at 65 for most of the drive. Kerma tune but no deletes as I'm in Cali. Stock height/wheels/tires, 35 PSI checked with cold tires at the gas station when I filled up before starting the trip.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk