The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Steve, did you drive that far just for a JY? Maybe I need to expand my search, but I'd hate to get to the destination and find nothing.

Finally received my cluster back from Chubbs, for the rotbox.... it was at least 2 months and I was originally told 2 weeks. He told me the board was bad. Anywho, everything works (other than the lights) and I had him swap in orange needles from the bad spare cluster I bought.

Drove it around the block a few times. I find it kind of strange that the trip and odometer aren't seen simultaneously.

Installed the column surround that I bought a few weeks back and replaced the washed out wiper arm. I needed a puller to get the old one off... I found it was epoxied on.

Door locks stopped working with the factory alarm... I'll need to look into that.

DRLs just started working... I liked it better when they didn't. I'll need to disable them.

I'm hoping to be officially done spending money on this roach, other than registration, tags and insurance.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Glad you found one. I know you've been looking for awhile.
That I had, this is a part that's now kind of hard to find because most of these early 90's cars are gone due to the 'culling' of the late 00's when scrap prices were very high.

Steve, did you drive that far just for a JY? Maybe I need to expand my search, but I'd hate to get to the destination and find nothing.
Actually I did, and with no knowledge of whether it was there or not. Once I found the car on car-part.com I called the JY but they were no help about whether the item was there or not so yes it was a gamble but one I felt like I needed to take.

Basically I was told by the JY people that if I wanted to know if that was there I was going to have to drive up here and look for yourself.

I was told where the car was generally located in the yard and then went out to have a look. When I approached I checked the right side first and that panel was missing so I was sure that the left front was gone too. Imagine my surprise when I looked in the wheel opening and it was there! I had to dig it out because the car was on the ground with no front struts and no wheels, glad the ground was not frozen!!

It also helped that they didn't charge me anything for it either...

While I don't like having to drive that far for stuff I recognize that if I don't go I won't get the stuff I want. The population of VW's that get into the local upull yard here in Des Moines is getting very slim. Most of what they get now is severely trashed Mk4's, NB's and an occasional Mk3 that's pretty rough. The import section is now heavily Asian cars between 2-7 years old, not anything that I need.

Here it is installed:

Finally received my cluster back from Chubbs, for the rotbox.... it was at least 2 months and I was originally told 2 weeks. He told me the board was bad. Anywho, everything works (other than the lights) and I had him swap in orange needles from the bad spare cluster I bought.
I have two clusters that need to go to Chubbs, one is a VR cluster for the MFA for the B3V and the other is a Mk3 tdi cluster I built with black gauges, black surround and orange needles. When this cluster gets warm the speedo drops to zero and does other weird stuff.

DRLs just started working... I liked it better when they didn't. I'll need to disable them.
You can disable by disconnecting the yellow wire from the switch harness, that or cutting the wire. That yellow wire runs down next to the driver seat and back alongside the wiring harness. I've removed mine from the Mk3.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
There's no self serve wreckers left here in Vancouver - I literally cannot get to one without at least an hour and a half drive. That only yields one yard. I have to go more like 3 hours to get to the next few. Needless to say I always check the yard inventories when I'm on road trips!

For what it's worth the only B3s in Canada with intercoolers would have been the G60 cars, never the TDs. My factory TD car definitely does not have that vent.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
There's no self serve wreckers left here in Vancouver - I literally cannot get to one without at least an hour and a half drive. That only yields one yard. I have to go more like 3 hours to get to the next few. Needless to say I always check the yard inventories when I'm on road trips!

For what it's worth the only B3s in Canada with intercoolers would have been the G60 cars, never the TDs. My factory TD car definitely does not have that vent.

Last I checked, Empire auto parts on Sumas way in Abbotsford will let you walk the yard.

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
You can disable by disconnecting the yellow wire from the switch harness, that or cutting the wire. That yellow wire runs down next to the driver seat and back alongside the wiring harness. I've removed mine from the Mk3.

Steve
For me, it was easier to just remove the DRL relay above the fuse box. Relay 173 or 191 or something along those lines. Just pull out the relay and toss it in your tool box. Done!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3

That crossed my mind after I'd posted it. I think like the Mk2 intercooled TD Canada never got, the 'cooled TD Passat that was available in Europe didn't come here either. So I stand corrected on that fact for Canada. So that leaves the G60 Syncro cars as the origin for these.

I still believe that this vented design was on the shelf already and as such pulled and used on the VR6 cars, although I could be wrong.

At any rate they're scarce now and even a decade ago they weren't plentiful. Because the lower spoilers on the B3 were often ripped off due to bad driving the paneling often got ripped away or broken along with it.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Last I checked, Empire auto parts on Sumas way in Abbotsford will let you walk the yard.
Thanks for the tip! Still an hour and a bit each way but at least it's closer than Chilliwack. One B4, lots of Mk2/3/4s in the inventory.

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
Replaced glow plug harness to make it start in the cold weather we have here in Wisconsin. Started right up! But the n after letting it idle up to temp, I shut it off so I could run a bottle of purge. Well the starter decided to fry itself. SMDH every time I make this car run, something new happens

Lenard

TDI
02 Beetle "skeetle" Previously: 98 ahu jetta, 05 bew jetta, 97 1z b4 sedan, 2004 bhw passat, 02 alh jetta, 2005 bhw passat, 97 b4v glx 1z swapped, another 98 jetta. Honorable mention: 81 jetta coupe 1.6d
By the time i get it to run and drive properly I should have a brand new 1997 B4 TDI though! Or an empty wallet and bank account

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
By the time i get it to run and drive properly I should have a brand new 1997 B4 TDI though! Or an empty wallet and bank account
I was just reviewing my spare parts collection yesterday and it does not include a working starter. It does include three inop starters though, not that those do much good.

I would prefer to keep a working spare in the group since I know my wagon starter is not OE. Now to decide whether to have one rebuilt locally or look at getting a Bosch reman unit.

Steve

jdulle

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 97 B4
I got my glow plugs working today too. I did the plugs and harness, they definitely needed replacement, and just replaced the 80amp fuse, and now I have power to them!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
80A...? I thought it was 50A.

I finally transferred the title and registered the rotbox. Seems ride nice on the TCs, that were installed, although I haven't left the neighborhood. I'll insure it tomorrow.

I need to pull the cluster back out and replace the bulbs. Need to install the snow tires, that I have.

I'm getting a GP CEL, but it may be easier to pull the bulb...

I bought a remote starter for it, but I don't think I wasn't to go through the hassle of installation.... I'll save it for the Rabbit.

I'm hoping to get at least 2 winters out of it, before it crumbles into dust.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yep, 80A. I had mine out yesterday and was surprised it wasn't blown. I suspect poor glow plugs since I changed them 10 years ago now and the car is starting hard when cold. They're each pulling 0.3 to 0.4A. I keep spares on the shelf and anti-seized them when I put them in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
After sitting a lot of the last six months the battery on my B4 seemed pretty weak. Had it tested yesterday, made 169 DIN instead of the 380 DIN rating. Surprising it starts the car at all. This will be the third car battery I've replaced in the past year. I'm now much more diligent about using battery tenders on cars that sit for any length of time.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Showed the rotbox some love... minimal love. I not driving the car looking as it does.

Scraped the flaking rust off the doors with a paint scraper. I didn't want to use anything more aggressive... I was afraid of blowing through.

Hosed it down with acetone and wiped it with a paper towel and blew some self etch primer on it.

The correct spray tip went awol, so the can was pissing nicely. That's why I wear gloves...

Too cold to be painting, so I flashed it off with the heat gun. Next coat was sprayed within moments. 2 coats of primer, followed with 3 coats of Rustoleum gloss black.

To be honest, it's a pretty good match and looks good for about 20-30 minutes of effort.

Need to get the cluster lights working.

-Todd

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Good progress, Todd. I've bought a $250 1996 TDI B4 junker that doesn't look that good. Keep moving forward. I always appreciate your posts! Jeff Gerst

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeff- believe me, this car is very rough, hence its name. Floors had holes and I did a crap patch job, rockers are gone and I can put my hands in the doors from underneath.

I didn't really want it, but the seller did maintain it, so I figured why not. The timing belt job has 20k on it, the oil was just changed with synthetic new front calipers, pads and tires, Bilstein TCs, etc.

I really only wanted the trans, cluster (which needed repair) and the cluster harness for my project car.

The clutch disc had a broken spring and that was why it was for sale. I had a spare kit from my project donor, so it was only my time.

And then there was the interior...

I don't think I ever posted pics of the car, prior to today.

Needless to say, the entire interior, other than the headliner and dash, was removed, scrubbed and pressure washed. Then I had the odor issue...

I've put very little money into the car and I intend it to stay that way. If I get 2 winters out if it, I'd be happy.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Todd
I've considered doing that to the original B3 seats but then I remember that there are heating elements in there and I pull back on it. I would like to remove all the covers and just clean them off the cushions but then any stink that got through the upholstery would still be there.

At this point I've just packed them into a corner of the garage while I wait to make a decision.

PS - why is the butt end of that car sitting up so high?

Steve

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the elements are good, you may want to hand wash the covers and stretch them back on while slightly damp. You may get away with a gentle cycle in a washer.

I've pressure washed many fabric seats and this car was officially the worst. The rear bench didn't come 100% clean... I think that's crayon melted into the fabric. I'm surprised the owner put his kids in the car.

I had to spray the seats down with Zep odor neutralizer, many times, to get rid of the stink. Lysol didn't budge it. This was the first time I ended up with an odor issue.

I have no clue why the ass end is high. I never really noticed it. I wonder if it's the angle, somehow...

Installed a couple LEDs in the cluster and pulled the CEL and airbag bulbs. I guess I could meter the GPs and harness... that's easy enough. I've got used stuff I could install.

I was pulling a bunch of relays trying to get the DRLs off. I found it faster to depin the terminal at the switch and tape it off, while I had the cluster out.

Now, I need a bulb for the HL switch.

-Todd

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
I was pulling a bunch of relays trying to get the DRLs off. I found it faster to depin the terminal at the switch and tape it off, while I had the cluster out.
Which wire do you have to depin from the headlight switch?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yellow wire at 15. Wire is hot when the lights are switched in, so be sure to insulate the terminal.

Would have been cleaner to just pull the relay, but it was as getting dark and I wanted to get done. I may search for the relay a bit more when I go back in, to swap the bulb.

-Todd

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
Yellow wire at 15. Wire is hot when the lights are switched in, so be sure to insulate the terminal.

Would have been cleaner to just pull the relay, but it was as getting dark and I wanted to get done. I may search for the relay a bit more when I go back in, to swap the bulb.

-Todd
It's one of the relays on top of the fuse/relay box. Relay number 173, I believe. I may put mine back in and depin that terminal. One of the side affects of pulling the relay is that the "brake" light on the cluster no longer illuminates when the e-brake is on.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I guess I'll be leaving the terminal alone.

Thanks for the forewarning.

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
For DRLs, just unplug the two halves of the yellow wire in the rats nest under the dash. Easy-cheesy.

Ass for your as end, you probably have good springs. Mine has B4 springs, and it's even higher.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Big Blue donated its snow tires to Rotbox.

New shoes.

Did one of the easiest maintenance procedures, that nobody does (including me) and inflated the tires on all of my cars that run.

Took the Rotbox on the highway, for the first time. It actually drives, rides and handles very nicely.

Decided to look into the GP CEL. This was probably part of the issue...

I couldn't get the barrel connector apart to depin the harness, so I cut the wires and nutted them for now. Tried getting a grip on the barrel with large slip joints and it's spinning the entire plug. One of the tabs broke off the plug, so I called it quits. The ground wires are in the way to get a grip on the rear and they're also frozen, so they got a shot of Kroil. Getting annoyed...

All the GPs seem to be reading over 1 ohm, so I soaked them in Kroil and running the car. I'll keep repeating this cycle.

Noticed the IP is leaking at the head. More annoyed...

The winter beater is becoming a project...

-Todd

Last edited:

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I know we have mentioned your neighborhood before, but wow a full shoe swap in the road like that. You must be a really nice person of the community.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol, it does look bad, but there was plenty of room. A trash truck and school bus were able to get by, without issue. This is an old neighborhood, so I'm not stuck with all those crazy associations and bylaws. Realistically, I need land... this .25 acre BS isn't cutting it for me.

Anywho, Mr. Grumpy took a nap and got back at it. I was able to get the barrel disconnected and the GP harness wires depinned. The GPs came out without drama. I did notice a little blow by at #3. The Kroil was bubbling with the engine running.

Out of curiosity, I fired them up. All got red hot within 15 seconds.

The terminals were pretty corroded, so I chucked them in the drill and cleaned them against some 100 grit. Clean guy on the left.

Retested and all are now within spec. I decided to save my spare parts for cars that I actually care about. I'm going to reuse the cut harness wire and make a GP harness. Female bullet terminals fit the GPS perfectly.

-Todd

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still messing with the Rotbox....

Went to 2 JYs looking for a seat. Came up empty... I may just run a B4 seat and buy a heated seat cover. I did find a better headlight switch and a lower glove box latch, that needs to be resprayed. Dude painted the interior with normal black spray paint. Although, this is a beater, I like everything looking and working properly.

Not surprisingly, the bulb in the HL switch is bad. I installed a LED.

Made my GP harness. Used noninsulated butt connectors and adhesive lined shrink tube. The bullet connectors were also sealed. Took way longer than it should have. My OCD was kicking in and I wanted it looking decent. Tested it and it works.

Cleaned the grounds at the barrel and slathered everything in antisieze. The aluminum stuff conducts and it's very difficult to wash off. It's becoming my go to, as an antioxidant coating. Added a ground at the barrel stud, that runs to the battery. I don't like how the factory did that.

The only CEL I should have left is airbag. I may just disconnect it and install a resistor.

Time to start the reliability shake down.

-Todd

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice work Todd, you should have said something, I think I have a couple Mk3 black glove boxes in the garage attic. Probably could get you a cushion too in a while but the box to ship would be pretty sizable.

Steve