TDIFest 2008

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
As mentioned on Sunday night it is now time to starting thinking about next years TDIFest and we are currently taking bids.

If you are interested, please get a bid in by October 21, 2007.

Here are some requirements and info that should be figured out before a proposal is submitted by that date.
1) Find a group of people (5 or more) to work with you on the planning and implementation. This will help divide up the work, and keep problems from arising should 1 or 2 move away.
2) Figure out who will be the main and secondary planners will be.
3) Get a estimate of costs, event places, etc. Talk to the hotels to get room approximate rates/requirements, etc
4) Submit a email to me with details on the people involved and what your plans and cost estimates are. Be sure to include some information on distances

The data has traditionally been the Labour Day (or Labor Day for those in the US) weekend. This could be moved if there is a good enough reason, but remember, no date is ever perfect for everyone. Also remember these plans don't have to be set in stone. If you have something planned for Saturday morning and it has to be Sunday afternoon, that is fine. Things will change. Feel free to post questions here or email me.
Please post any questions you may have as we have all learned a lot from past fests on how to make these things better than ever.

A lot of good information has already been posted this year in this topic: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1846850, specifically tomo366's posting which as it has a lot of good information. I am also working with previous planners to come up with a check list and 'lessons learn' to help make things easier for future organizers.

thanks,

Fred

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Getting a Proposal started.

For those looking for information on how to get started, I've already posted what you need to know on a very basic level. There's a lot that goes into it, but this will help you get started.

Ok, so this is a thread in response to many who have inquired as to what is needed to submit an accepted proposal. Those who have organized Fests from previous year, please feel free to post information as to what it took to get your proposal submitted. This is a thread that is meant to encourage others around the nation/world to organize a Fest in their area.

First step: Organize a group of people in your area.
You need a group of people who are dedicated to pulling off this organization, as it is a lot of hard work. People who are willing to give up a few of their weekends to run around and get venues, scope out the area, have frequent meetings.
Next, you need to set up formal meeing times when you can sit down to discuss the fest. This means setting up SEVERAL meetings between the end of the previous fest and the deadline for submitting the proposal (the end of october - giving your 2 months to organize yourself, unless you start earlier than that! ;) )
Once you have everyone collected you'll need to discuss the city/town/area that you are proposing for the fest and organize what information you'll need for the proposal. this is where it gets tricky, as everyone will have idea's as to what they want to DO at the fest. This is not the time for this discussion. Try to keep on track and discuss hotels, parks, other venues where the fest can be held. Then distribute the research work evenly among the group members.

Things you'll need to know about your proposed Fest area:
VENUE! (can't have a fest without a Venue).
- Cost of the venue - if it's a hotel, what are the room rates, food/menu rates, meeting/conference space costs, etc.
if it's in an outdoor space other than a hotel: area rental costs, place to hold the banquet, outdoor wrenching restrictions (environmental laws?)
Things to do around the area: Parks, malls, tourist attractions, places to eat,etc.
- International considerations - passports required, taxes, Currency exchanges, vendor issues (if the fest is going to be over a border other than the US - ie Canada, or wherever else).

Basic Agenda:
- What are you planning on doing with several hundred people for 3 days
- Friday - registrations, evening meet-n-greet usually - what will be your
menu, activity of choice, etc.
- Saturday all day - registrations, activities (tech sessions, vendors, area actvities, etc), food (breakfast, lunch, OR dinner... pick one), activity saturday night?
- Sunday - food (usually the banquet sunday night), Show n shine, other activities, banquet, wrenching, etc.

What are the qualifications of your group members:
WHO ARE THEY?!?! who exactly is going to be in your group. If you have group members that are planning a fest from one location that is different than the actual fest location - Do you have Area Volunteers!?!? :confused: Who are they?
Who has experience organizing large scale events? does their career choice allow them to volunteer for such a dedicated process? In other words, they have the drive, but do they have the time?
Who will be your group "leader" or primary contact/liason?

This is just some information that folks will need to know if they are planning on organizing a fest proposal. Once you submit a proposal, in an organized, informative format - the work gets more abumndant from there. But with the righ crew of volunteers, and everyone pitching in to help, it can go VERY smoothly!

To previuos fest organizers, please feel free to pitch in other information. If you have your previous proposal and would like to link it on the page, i'm sure it would be a great help to future fest organizers, to see what others have done. We need to learn from one another! Maybe this will encourage others to volunteer, rather than compete or stand asside for someone else to do it! Let's help to make Fests in furture years easier and more fun for everyone! :D

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Would someone be willing to spend some time with me on the phone? I need some hard info about #s. Hotel rooms, people, costs. Also have an interesting idea about location and a slightly changed focus.

PM me your number and a good time to call.

Thanks, Bruce

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Go get em bruce, Im with ya buddy.. let me know what I can do to help out!

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Bruce, Zippy would be the best person to talk to about that.

Hamsterdiesel

TDIClub Enthusiast , Veteran Member & HO5G CoFound
TDI
1999 Golf IV, Black and now 2015 Reflex Silver Passat SE
Bruce - PM sent

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
volunteer for tdi fest 2008

Hi! I'd like to give back to the TDI Club for 2008's TDI Fest. I live in Central Bucks County, PA; can make copies, phone calls, faxes, etc.
Is that kind of help needed?
PM me. Thanks.
Kristina

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
whitetdi05 said:
Hi! I'd like to give back to the TDI Club for 2008's TDI Fest. I live in Central Bucks County, PA; can make copies, phone calls, faxes, etc.
PM me. Thanks.
Kristina
where were you last year LOL :eek: ;)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
paramedick said:
Would someone be willing to spend some time with me on the phone? I need some hard info about #s. Hotel rooms, people, costs. Also have an interesting idea about location and a slightly changed focus.

PM me your number and a good time to call.

Thanks, Bruce
Are you sending secret messages now?

Sorry. OT... I'll go to bed now.:D

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
whitetdi05 said:
PM me. Thanks.
Kristina
Kristina,
help like that is always needed. Once the decision is made about where Fest will be held in '08, better decisions can be made about what is needed as the time approaches. Keep your eyes posted for calls for help. :)

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
How about greeting VOA at it's new home???

How about Reston, Virginia?? New Home of VOA. Lot's of Hotels, Near Dulles airport and not a busy area during Labor Day.

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
volunteer

Hi Zippy Car, and Leo 819 - Where I was b4 last year's TDI Fest - I'd had my TDI only a year. Hadn't heard of the TDI Club until August 2006, but then I was psyched to see the Fest. Ecodean & I had time for only a couple of hours' attendance, but we are now hooked.
Now we 'are experienced' with TDI Fests and know that help is needed!
Ergo my offer! Keep me in mind with volunteering in case I forget to check the Volunteer thread!;) :eek:
Leo819 - my offer still stands about our 10/6 GTG....
Thanks!
Kristina

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
Bump. For those considering/working on a proposal, please contact me so I know who is currently working on a proposal. It's also a great opportunity to ask questions.

Fred

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
We already have a group that is in the very beginning stages of planning for Fest 09. We're still finding out who would be interested in helping out. We will be doing quite a bit more planning in the early spring so we can have a strong package to submit for the following year.

See this post.

Last edited:

lildevildee

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/6spd manual
whitetdi05 said:
I read VW Derf's single post - Ohio 2008 it is as I understand it.
My offer still stands to make copies, faxes, phone calls, etc if they can be sent to me and I continue the mailing.
Kristina
Where did you see that? Everyone has the opportunity to submit by 21Oct07 - and then a final decision will be made.

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
VW Derf said:
Bump. For those considering/working on a proposal, please contact me so I know who is currently working on a proposal. It's also a great opportunity to ask questions.

Fred
Double - bump!

We are quickly approaching this year's deadline. Any takers?

I can help with any questions etc... just send me a pm!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Make that a triple bump

I've had a couple of people either ask me questions, or threaten too. I'm open and willing to discuss anything fest related. let me know.

don't let all this idle chatter go to waste - act now! Bring on the the party! :D

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
I've granted a two week extention on this as I know some people are working hard on this. This puts the new date of November 4th.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
I tried over a month ago :(

VW Derf said:

Fred

Hamsterdiesel

TDI
drkblujetta said:
I tried over a month ago :(
You'd do better to email Fred @ fred@tdiclub.com

It's November now...

...decision time is right around the corner!:eek:

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
So Bruce doesn't look to be all alone, I wanted to letting you all know that we've got a pretty good group in Cincinnati and Columbus that will help pull the TDIFest OH-08 off. BTW ... excellent preliminary conversations with our local dealer group and VWoA. (just talked with them today) :cool:

Bare with him as he finalizes the proposal. ;)