Hello from newbie + a bit of advice?

slovcan

TDI
Shopping in Slovakia
Hi folks,

I am a new member here, but way back I had a 1999 A6 Quattro 2.8. Thanks for letting me in! I am in a bit of a jam and need to buy a car FAST.

The background here is that I will (very likely) be buying a B5.5 Passat Variant TDi (AVF or AWX) in Slovakia - soon, maybe in the next couple of days. I was going to go with a Rover 75 CDTi Tourer (BMW M47R engine), but they are getting rarer (good ones, anyway). So, plan B, and likely the more sensible plan, is the Passat. It will get 4-6 months use per year. It will get a remap or a tuning box (Synergy). Here is what I have gleaned from reading:

The AVF is only mated to the 6-speed. The 6-speed will probably fail catastrophically (or will it?). This combo has the 240mm clutch that will withstand some extra torque. Has anyone experience a failure of that gearbox? If so, what model year and at what mileage? Was the engine tuned? Is there any wisdom that says if the gearbox survives to 100,000 kms or 150,000 kms it likely isn't afflicted with the weak diff rivet problem? I'm trying to find out if it is at all safe to buy a Passat with that engine/gearbox combo (there are more of those for sale - perhaps for good reason?).

With that said, there IS a 2004 4-Motion for sale close by with the AVF & 6-speed. Is the 4-Motion a potential problem (by itself or in relation to the 6-speed gearbox)?

The AWX is only mated to the 5-speed. The 5-speed is more reliable and probably won't fail catastrophically. This combo has the 228mm clutch that WILL slip/fail with ANY additional torque from a tune or box. Should I stick with the AWX/5-speed combo and try to find a clutch that will survive a mild tune.

They both have a DMF that will fail with a tune or box (really?) - well, the 5-speed 228mm one, anyway. The 6-speed 240mm one, I don't know.

So, given this understanding, I think I had better go with the AWX 5-speed and find a clutch solution.

The power/torque would likely be maximum 120kw (160bhp)/385Nm (285 ft lbs). Must I replace the original DMF and can I get a 228mm clutch that won't slip and fail in 6 months or a year? The driving will be about 50/50 city/highway. The hardest loads will be 80-120 km/h overtaking. City driving will be fairly docile.

If I have misunderstood the info about engines, transmissions & clutches, please set me straight.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Should be no problem to get an AVF in Europe. In Germany they are avail. 'like sand in the ocean' as we say. They are stock 130hp so your goals are quite modest. The 240mm 6 speed will be obviously better than the 5 speed AWX, should have no problem holding 200HP. From Bratislava it's not far to Germany. Here the value of the used diesel has plummeted due to the 'diesel affair'. One of my neighbors wants to sell his passat diesel (later model) but offers are so low he is just hanging on to it. You could probably go straight Prague->Dresden and pick one up pretty cheap. Here is a decent one under 2K€ with ~300K Kms. I would not bother with 4 motion unless you have long term goals to go to much higher power. Usually the quattro transmissions are pretty strong, although i don't know the specifics on this one. I have 350HP on my 2WD A6 and it is not a problem and with all the exhaust guts out/mods I get under 6litre/100kms with 2tons driving regular speeds on the hway.

Last edited:

slovcan

TDI
Shopping in Slovakia
Should be no problem to get an AVF in Europe. In Germany they are avail. 'like sand in the ocean' as we say. They are stock 130hp so your goals are quite modest. The 240mm 6 speed will be obviously better than the 5 speed AWX, should have no problem holding 200HP. From Bratislava it's not far to Germany. Here the value of the used diesel has plummeted due to the 'diesel affair'. One of my neighbors wants to sell his passat diesel (later model) but offers are so low he is just hanging on to it. You could probably go straight Prague->Dresden and pick one up pretty cheap. Here is a decent one under 2K€ with ~300K Kms. I would not bother with 4 motion unless you have long term goals to go to much higher power. Usually the quattro transmissions are pretty strong, although i don't know the specifics on this one. I have 350HP on my 2WD A6 and it is not a problem and with all the exhaust guts out/mods I get under 6litre/100kms with 2tons driving regular speeds on the hway.
Fantastic info. Thank you Eddie 1! So, I have 2 replies now with no concerns noted regarding the 6-speed transmission. That makes me feel a bit better. As you said, my power/torque goals are modest, so hopefully no real stress on the transmission or clutch.

Thank you, also, for the link. I think I should be able to find a good one without too much trouble. I mentioned the 4-Motion model because there is one available here that seems to be in good condition.

Thanks again,
Glenn

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The 2003 on gearboxes as mated to the AVF enginea are known to have diff bearing issues, run away from any whining gearbox! I have used gearbox from newer 2.0 tdi passat made by getrag and no more whining noises. I would look for 6 speed box from early a6 tdi with 2.5 tdi engine, they have very long 6th which is a bonus if you run on motorway often on high speeds. Its tough to find good cars in europe nowadays on the cheap, most arebhigh millers and will need remedial work on suspension, cams and clutches... As per old saying: you get what you pay for!