Android auto on a 2015 S

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
It must be an Mib2 unit. It looks like APG also sell new mib2 units that are activated and have carplay and sirius working but they're about 1k euro. Also, they mentioned that they cannot activate Delphi units.
That's a bummer. The MIB2 I just received is a Delphi 3Q0035844 unit. Almost all of them that I see on eBay are Delphi units.

In any case, I had contacted APG and they asked for a photo of the sticker on the unit. I just sent it to them, and I'll see what they say.

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Finally got some time now to make the post a lot of you've been asking for. Just to preface, I did the MIB2 upgrade to my 2015 GSW TDI SE. Most of my information was gathered from the following two posts. Please read both posts as they provide good information and photos about how to go about the install. I'll provide a list of all the parts I've used specific to my install and the contact I used to remove Component Protection (CP) and add the App Connect key at the end.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31600&highlight=DIY+MIB1+MIB2

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7466330-Golf-7-2013-discover-pro-retrofit-with-CARPLAY!

List of Parts
Infotainment Unit (3Q0035844): $90 (ebay)
Display Screen (3G0919605H): $130 (ebay)
MIB2 Amplifier (5Q0035456): $160 (ebay)
USB/Aux Connector and Harness (5G0035222E): $45 (aliexpress)
Trim Removal Tool (PC5-93): $2 (ebay)

Component Protection (CP) Removal & App Connect Key
Instead of removing CP at the dealership and buying the app connect key online as mentioned in the posts, I contacted Jack Kirry via Skype (ID: jacekk993). He requires a VAS 5054A with OKI chip. If everything works, he charges 200 Euros.
Jack's Fee: $250 (changes based on exchange rates)
VAS 5054A with OKI chip $60 (ebay)

Total Cost: $737

I thought I was able to find most of the parts pretty cheaply on ebay. Depending on how cheap you get the parts, I would estimate this upgrade would cost approximately $700-$1,000. The posts I linked above provides all the information you would need. If you have any direct questions, feel free to post and I'll answer as quick as I can.

Also, since you only need the VAS5054A cable to remove CP and add the app connect key, one person could buy the cable and then resell it through this forum. Maybe pass the cable around so that everyone can save some money.

Last edited:

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Awesome man. Much appreciated.

Mods, sticky this!

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
List of Parts
Infotainment Unit (3Q0035844): $90 (ebay)
Display Screen (3G0919605H): $130 (ebay)
MIB2 Amplifier (5Q0035456): $160 (ebay)
USB/Aux Connector and Harness (5G0035222E): $45 (aliexpress)
Trim Removal Tool (PC5-93): $2 (ebay)

Component Protection (CP) Removal & App Connect Key
Instead of removing CP at the dealership and buying the app connect key online as mentioned in the posts, I contacted Jack Kirry via Skype (ID: jacekk993). He requires a VAS 5054A with OKI chip. If everything works, he charges 200 Euros.
Jack's Fee: $250 (changes based on exchange rates)
VAS 5054A with OKI chip $60 (ebay)

Also, since you only need the VAS5054A cable to remove CP and add the app connect key, one person could buy the cable and then resell it through this forum. Maybe pass the cable around so that everyone can save some money.
Great! I have the same car ('15 GSW TDI SE w/ Fender). The MIB1 system was the only reason I was contemplating not buying the car when the lease ends next summer (leased a stop sale "new" '15 last summer). Wife has a '17 Jetta SEL and and her 6.5" screen with CarPlay is such an upgrade over my system!

I got the headunit already, I'll connect it soon to the MIB1 screen to see if it works (I read about some defective units that kept power cycling). It's a Delphi unit 3Q0035844.

A few questions:

1. Do you recall if yours is a Delphi? I read somewhere that the Polish guys at APG can't do those, so I wonder if Jack Kirry would have issues with them as well.

2. I kept postponing buying the display unit because I wonder if I can get the 8" instead. I know that I need it with a new piece of trim around it, that's fine. I read somewhere that these MIB2 units support the 8" displays. What part numbers I should be looking for? If not possible, 6.5" is fine.

3. Mine is a manual tranny, so I don't have to worry about Drive Mods. I just want CarPlay activated. I also want Sirius XM to stay, and everything I now have from factory. Do you still have these things?

4. What else do you need other than the VAS 5054A with OKI chip? I read about a laptop with Win 7 or something like that?

5. Can you lend me your cable? I'll pay you $20, plus take care of shipping (I can ship it back to you or to anyone who subscribes here), whatever works for you.

6. I'll keep looking for a reasonably priced MIB2 amp. What's now on eBay is pricey.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, did you have to do any coding? I only have the bluetooth device OBDII to work with, no Vag Com or VCP or whatever...

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! I have the same car ('15 GSW TDI SE w/ Fender). The MIB1 system was the only reason I was contemplating not buying the car when the lease ends next summer (leased a stop sale "new" '15 last summer). Wife has a '17 Jetta SEL and and her 6.5" screen with CarPlay is such an upgrade over my system!

I got the headunit already, I'll connect it soon to the MIB1 screen to see if it works (I read about some defective units that kept power cycling). It's a Delphi unit 3Q0035844.

A few questions:

1. Do you recall if yours is a Delphi? I read somewhere that the Polish guys at APG can't do those, so I wonder if Jack Kirry would have issues with them as well.

2. I kept postponing buying the display unit because I wonder if I can get the 8" instead. I know that I need it with a new piece of trim around it, that's fine. I read somewhere that these MIB2 units support the 8" displays. What part numbers I should be looking for? If not possible, 6.5" is fine.

3. Mine is a manual tranny, so I don't have to worry about Drive Mods. I just want CarPlay activated. I also want Sirius XM to stay, and everything I now have from factory. Do you still have these things?

4. What else do you need other than the VAS 5054A with OKI chip? I read about a laptop with Win 7 or something like that?

5. Can you lend me your cable? I'll pay you $20, plus take care of shipping (I can ship it back to you or to anyone who subscribes here), whatever works for you.

6. I'll keep looking for a reasonably priced MIB2 amp. What's now on eBay is pricey.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, did you have to do any coding? I only have the bluetooth device OBDII to work with, no Vag Com or VCP or whatever...
Sorry if I don't answer all your questions, but I'll respond to the ones I can quickly.

1. I don't know if mine was a Delphi. I'll have to dig around to find out.

2. I heard the 8" display works too. Check out the posts I linked as I think someone did it there. You'll have to replace the trim which can be expensive.

3. I have the MT too. Not too sure about XM radio since I don't care to use it at all, but a workaround is you can always use the XM app through AA even though that'll use data.

4. Yea you'll need a Windows Laptop so he can use a remote desktop program.

5. I already sold my cable already. Otherwise I would've started that.

6. I actually got real lucky with the MIB 2. Now that I think about it, I got it through a forum because someone was replacing their OEM Amplifier for a third party. Maybe you can get lucky asking around.

Also, I forgot to. mention but I initially had problems with Jack removing CP from the MIB2 Amplifier. I figured out the problem was I had to recode the infotainment unit to accept the amp with VCDS so that might be something to look out for. I can't remember what coding I did, but if you run into the problem, I can always copy the coding from my car.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Many thanks!

So, it's a bit trickier than I thought. I don't have VCDS, so I would probably need to invest in that too. Maybe it's too much.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'm still unclear on the amp situation. For those of us with Mib1 units and no fender audio, do we require the mib2 amp if we don't have an mib1 amp?

The part number for the screen lists that it could be from a 2015 golf... So wouldn't that imply that only the mib2 unit in the glove box is required?

Lastly, 3Q0035844 seems to be the part number for Delphi made units only... The European or I guess rest of World mib 2 units have the following part number 3q0035819b

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I'm still unclear on the amp situation. For those of us with Mib1 units and no fender audio, do we require the mib2 amp if we don't have an mib1 amp?

The part number for the screen lists that it could be from a 2015 golf... So wouldn't that imply that only the mib2 unit in the glove box is required?

Lastly, 3Q0035844 seems to be the part number for Delphi made units only... The European or I guess rest of World mib 2 units have the following part number 3q0035819b
I think you simply do not need the amp. You need all the parts listed by sportwagen3 above, except for the amp. I have Fender, so I either replace the amp with an MIB2 amp or I manage to work something out with APG and they make everything work with the original MIB1 amp.

After I sent them photos of my Delphi headunit and my VIN I haven’t heard back from APG. If they respond I’ll let you know.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I had bought an aftermarket (WinCE-based, I think) unit that looks great, functions great, except...doesn't work with the Fender Premium audio amp (the issue is that the Fender amp is fed from the head unit, not by FR, FL, RR, RL wires, but by one optical cable, which apparently is encrypted in some way. So, behind the head unit on Fender Premium audio cars, there are no speaker wires.)

So, I suffered along trying to convince myself that stock was "good enough".

Well, it isn't. When my 2002 Golf with 330K+ km has better screen, better usability, better maps, etc. (Pioneer NEX)...that's not tenable.

So, I pulled the trigger on the full-deal package from APG, and I have to say, they're great to deal with. Didn't have to replace the MIB1 amp that came in my car; just had to make one coding tweak with VCDS, and life is sweet. And I love the new look of the 8" display that's available with the Mk7.5 "facelift" cars.

All in - right around $2K USD. Not cheap, but I plan on keeping the car at least until the warranty runs out (and if my Mk4 is any indication, probably close to a decade beyond that), so for me - money well spent! :D

Last edited:

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
Nuje, is what you have installed the 'Mib2 High' that is shown on the APG website? Does sirius work on the unit?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes - I think this is the "high" from their website; they called it "Display 8" FL" (which I guessed stands for "flat" (?)). Looking at the photos, it'd be the one they call "MIB2 High 8'' FL kit".

They gave me the following options:
MIB2 Main unit
MIB2 Main unit with SIM
MIB2 Main unit with Sirius
MIB2 Main unit with SIM + Sirius

First three are all the same price; putting SIM and Sirius together bumped the price by €100.

I never use or plan to use Sirius, so I went with option #2 - not that I ever plan to put an activated SIM card in there, but in the event I do....why not (same price)?

Trim / surround piece has to be purchased as well - they spell all of that out for you.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
So, I pulled the trigger on the full-deal package from APG, and I have to say, they're great to deal with. Didn't have to replace the MIB1 amp that came in my car; just had to make one coding tweak with VCDS, and life is sweet. And I love the new look of the 8" display that's available with the Mk7.5 "facelift" cars.

All in - right around $2K USD. Not cheap, but I plan on keeping the car at least until the warranty runs out (and if my Mk4 is any indication, probably close to a decade beyond that), so for me - money well spent! :D
It's a sweet setup, I had seen it on their website. Too pricey for what these features are worth to me, though. Always a personal choice.

It's true that the 6.5" display doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade over the 5.8" one, so I too was looking for an 8" w/o Nav. But these, with trim and everything, are rare and around $800 apiece (with the brushed aluminum trim, as I need). If you factor in the MIB2 amp, the cost of removing CP and installing FeC, you still get to around $1,500 (APG sells the whole setup without the trim for a little over that, but their display 5g0919606 is w/ Nav). You can have the exact same setup for $800-$900 if you're willing to settle for the 6.5" screen (which a lot of people did). But then again, with the 6.5" screen it doesn't feel like that much of an upgrade to me.

Last edited:

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Reply from APG

"Sorry, unfortunately we do not work with the unit DELFI at the moment. Our programmers are testing this feature now.
I can tell you when the service will be available."

So, it looks like they haven't cracked the NAR MIB2 Composition Media so far. Which means that right now the only options available are:

1. Official one, through dealerships;

2. Remote connection one, through Jack Kirry.

Unfortunately, in both cases one needs to upgrade (if Fender equipped) the amplifier to MIB2.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I honestly can't justify spending so much money just for android auto.... All I want is mirror link at the end of the day... If i can mirror my phone's screen on the mib unit that's good enough for me

I have not been able to figure out why MIB1 NON-navi units have the mirrorlink feature available in green engineering menu, but it doesn't actually work/exist in the unit?

dasjefe

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
It is a lot of money. I'd also like to know how software updates are handled on the APG purchased units? It's difficult to imagine the smart phone app-connect feature working on the same head unit with new phones in 10 years. Still considering doing it though... I'm in my car on the road at least 2 hours a day. Might be worth it for me.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I honestly can't justify spending so much money just for android auto.... All I want is mirror link at the end of the day... If i can mirror my phone's screen on the mib unit that's good enough for me
That's what I'd wanted originally as well - and what spurred my purchase of that aftermarket unit.
(Still sitting in my garage, btw)

Would've done everything I wanted - and much more cheaply - if it weren't for the optical sound from the head unit.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not really sure what App-Connect is/does, but in the instance of CarPlay (being an iPhone person), the head unit really doesn't do anything apart from saying "Yes, I'll accept whatever video/audio is coming from the phone)".

So, provided Apple doesn't radically change CarPlay on their end, it should all continue to work. The missing piece right now that I wish I could get is wireless CarPlay, but that's like in six cars right now - hardly anyone has it as OEM.

And to your "is it worth it" point: The functionality (CarPlay / AA) is certainly what got me started on that, but the responsiveness of the unit, the bigger, higher-resolution display...that's worth a good chunk of the added cost to me, as well.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO Carplay is very limited without google maps/waze. Should be released this fall with an IOS update supposedly. Apple maps is aways a prayer if it works correctly and def doesn't give the best routing. Once connected it takes over the screen and looks like your phone screen with apps that apple has allowed to access carplay, siri reads text messages and lets you call from your phone book, it's no leaps and bounds.

I've used car play with pandora and the MIB2 system still has some bugs, hangs up screen goes blank everyone once in a while. I don't have music on my phone so I'm usually listening to FM or sirus.

Moral of the story, I'm glad I didn't have to shell out extra money for the carplay, it came standard on our SE Alltrack. I do kinda wish Ii had the updated glass 8" screen but not enough to dump that kinda cash, that money is better off going for a tune.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Moral of the story, I'm glad I didn't have to shell out extra money for the carplay, it came standard on our SE Alltrack. I do kinda wish Ii had the updated glass 8" screen but not enough to dump that kinda cash, that money is better off going for a tune.
Yes - for sure that got delayed, but not abandoned. :D

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I installed one of these Joying android units in my old Excursion with good results. Kept steering wheel controls too. They are a heck of a lot cheaper than the $1k or $2k you guys are talking about. Hot spot to my phone they would do anything I could do on my phone or even laptop. I ran Torque, streamed music, Google nav, email, text, etc all at once.

https://www.joyingauto.com/android-car-stereo/vw-android-car-stereo/4gb-vw-head-unit.html

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Sorry if I don't answer all your questions, but I'll respond to the ones I can quickly.
1. I don't know if mine was a Delphi. I'll have to dig around to find out.
2. I heard the 8" display works too. Check out the posts I linked as I think someone did it there. You'll have to replace the trim which can be expensive.
3. I have the MT too. Not too sure about XM radio since I don't care to use it at all, but a workaround is you can always use the XM app through AA even though that'll use data.
4. Yea you'll need a Windows Laptop so he can use a remote desktop program.
5. I already sold my cable already. Otherwise I would've started that.
6. I actually got real lucky with the MIB 2. Now that I think about it, I got it through a forum because someone was replacing their OEM Amplifier for a third party. Maybe you can get lucky asking around.
Also, I forgot to. mention but I initially had problems with Jack removing CP from the MIB2 Amplifier. I figured out the problem was I had to recode the infotainment unit to accept the amp with VCDS so that might be something to look out for. I can't remember what coding I did, but if you run into the problem, I can always copy the coding from my car.
I managed to gather most of the parts: I got a NAR Delphi headunit off eBay for $30 (I know, cheap, but looks OK, let's hope it works), a $220 (shipped) amp directly from a salvage yard in Oregon, and the European spec 6.5" screen off eBay for about $140. I got two of those keys for removing the headunit; they work, I tried them today.

As far as the USB/AUX & harness is concerned, is this what I need: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For...544c-4274-9b80-c73ee4bca88d&priceBeautifyAB=0 ?

Related to this harness, there's something I don't quite get from George Ab's DIY posts on the mk7 forum:

1. I know the socket with the USB pictured above will replace the one with Media currently in the car. However, I'm not sure about the harness. Will all the cables that come with the item from aliexpress be needed? If so, I assume they will replace the ones that are now connecting the headunit to the Media outlet. Correct?

2. If my assumptions above are correct, wouldn't running the new cables be made easy by taping the socket end of the new cables to the headunit end of the old ones, so when you pull the old ones out you bring the new ones into place? There must be something I'm missing here (because nobody wrote about this and I know I'm no genius), maybe the existing cables are tied/taped to the main harness (running between the headunit and screen), so what I'm saying is not feasible. Probably that's the case.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's the name of the part I got from aliexpress (link to my order no longer works, so can't link to it directly), which I can confirm works perfectly well. And yes - wires there replace the wires that would go to the back of your head unit. I just left the old ones in place as they didn't seem to be in the way, and yanking them out, with the stuff they were taped to...yuck!)
CARPLAY USB AUX SWITCH WITH CABLE KIT FOR VW Golf 7 MK7 CarPlay MDI USB AMI Install Plug Socket Harness 5G0 035 222 E 5G0035222E

(Pro tip: With your Dropbox link, If you replace the dl=0 with raw=1, you can use that URL to show the photo inline...like this:)
Quotes so you can see the full URL: "https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbtj35ntedtqy5c/IMG_7625.JPG?raw=1"

(But don't you dare post that link like that...phone photos these days are freakin' huge!).
Here's a nice resize for the folks at home:

Last edited:

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the right part for the USB cable. you can't remove the old wires since they're grouped with the other wires you need. In Nuje's picture, you'll see all those cables that feed into the black box on the left. That's where you'll have to replace the old mmi cable to the new USB cable. You'll just have to route it using some kind of cable. I ended up using zip ties to put the wires all together and fed it with a clothes hanger. Got it through on my first try.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I removed (or rather, just pulled it back a bit) some trim to the right of the lower console (passenger side below glove box) and fed the cables through there up behind the glovebox, to the area behind the head unit.

Used one of those "claw" grabber / pick-up things to help fish it from one section to another.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Great, I can't believe I'm really about to do this :) I'm a control freak in many respects, and I'll feel so out of control prying the trim off and whatnot during the install. I'm also not very patient and get frustrated easily. Should probably swallow a Xanax 1h before the install :), I wonder if they'll prescribe me it for this.

I'll ask around if anyone's willing to sell his "VAS 5054A with OKI chip". This way I may get it for cheap and I at least know it's working.

Finally, will I be OK with the OBDII tool for the necessary coding? I have the premium version, full capabilities, yet I know it's probably not nearly as versatile as VCDS.

In case I do need the VCDS, do you guys know where I can borrow one for this job? I don't even know what I need. Is it just cable that connects to a laptop and to the car? Is it software I need as well? Or?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Generally people don't let others borrow $300 tools very often. But there is a list here of those who have it and are willing to help. Check the VCDS locator list.

aditud

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
Generally people don't let others borrow $300 tools very often. But there is a list here of those who have it and are willing to help. Check the VCDS locator list.
Makes sense, sorry, I simply wasn’t aware of the circumstances. I never interacted with anybody who owns one. Even the OBDeleven tool I have was probably used three times only right around the time I got it (just enabled the usual, popular features).

Thanks for the locator idea. Do you happen to know where the most up to date map is? The tricky part in my situation is that I’ll need two sessions (if I understand correctly): one to save all my current settings, then another session to do some tweaks after the CP removal and the FeC installation. I also read something about coding the headunit to accept the amp...at what point is this to be done? I’m a bit fuzzy on the timeline here.