Which TDI engine do you like best in the Touareg?

The4ork

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk1 AHU (in progress) Mk2 GTi 8V MkIV Jetta12VR
It looks like there is a V10, V8, and V6 TDI.

Can you guys give me the quick rundown on which one to choose over the other? Performance with tune vs ease of maintenance vs fuel economy?

I'm in love with that V10, I've driven a tuned one. But I hear from many it's a maintenance nightmare. But that TQ!

How do the other 2 engines compare?

Rick.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There's a V10 and two (or three?) versions of the V6.

V10 maintenance is laborious and expensive, but it's a ton of fun when it's running. Average camshaft life seems to be about 160,000 miles from what I've heard from others and what I've confirmed on my own vehicle. My V10 is currently running on about 8.5 cylinders due to cam failure. There's also the 2004 V10 with no DPFs and the later V10s (2006 - 2008) with DPFs.

The early V6 has a lot of torque but not a ton of power. The later V6s have a lot more power and perform very well. Tuning and mods are available for all engines.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
V8TDI really can't be discussed since it never came to North America. So no one here could really say much about it. I have driven both the V10 and V6. I feel the V6 is more balanced since the V10 makes the car nose heavy.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
As a reliable good engine the v6 has to be the way to go for all the good reasons. Tows great, plenty of torque and pickup and fuel efficent to boot. My previous SUV was a Sequioa with a V 8 and I think the V6 TDI had more pull when the boat was behind each. I'm on my second and didn't have on lick of trouble with either of the engines 2012 cata and now 2016 last gen 4.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Is the V6 aluminum block? IIRC the V10 isn't actually that heavy, since the whole motor is aluminum.

-J
After driving the V6 TDI an then jump in a V8 or V10, the nose of the vehicle feels heavy. I noticed that right away after I got in a V10. Torque was amazing on it, but I still feel the better balance is the V6. I have driven all the motors available to us here in NA in the Touareg.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is the V6 aluminum block? IIRC the V10 isn't actually that heavy, since the whole motor is aluminum.

-J

That is not true. The "block" is two pieces, the aluminum part is the cylinders, water jackets, mounting bosses, etc. The actual crankshaft is held in place inside a chunky, heavy, piece of cast iron that fits up into the bottom of the aluminum block. Then the cast iron timing components are inside a case in front of the engine, which itself is quite heavy.

I do not know what the V10 weighs, but it is not lightweight despite having many aluminum bits.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
That is not true. The "block" is two pieces, the aluminum part is the cylinders, water jackets, mounting bosses, etc. The actual crankshaft is held in place inside a chunky, heavy, piece of cast iron that fits up into the bottom of the aluminum block. Then the cast iron timing components are inside a case in front of the engine, which itself is quite heavy.
I do not know what the V10 weighs, but it is not lightweight despite having many aluminum bits.
Someone claimed they weighed the engine with accessories and turbo still on, sitting on a tire, was just about 500 lbs.

For an engine its size that's surprisingly light, I'd argue! But yeah, it definitely isn't superlight by any stretch of the imagination and it does have that cast iron crank housing that everything else ties to.