Parted with my 96 B4V after 12 years

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Yesterday, I parted with my long time Passat wagon. It was a fun car for many years, but the general decline in replacement part quality and availability drove my decision.

The new owner, Matt Whitbread will be able to give the B4V all the attention it will take to keep the car on the road for the next 5-10+ years. So it is on it's way to northern Michigan.

I still have the TDI powered Jeep Comanche diesel truck and will be using it more and more.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yesterday, I parted with my long time Passat wagon. It was a fun car for many years, but the general decline in replacement part quality and availability drove my decision.

The new owner, Matt Whitbread will be able to give the B4V all the attention it will take to keep the car on the road for the next 5-10+ years. So it is on it's way to northern Michigan.

I still have the TDI powered Jeep Comanche diesel truck and will be using it more and more.
Wow John, that's crazy, you spent so much on it in the last five years I figured you'd have that till the end.

Steve

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Steve, that was why it was important to pass the car to the right new owner.
Actually, simple timing and happenstance had as much to do with it as anything. No regrets here. All things have there time/season.
The B 4 community has been declining for years. The knowledge here continues to expand. Again,parts support is the issue. Just a fact of life.
My own age (70), is part of the equation. So I need to focus on a smaller number of projects. I want to continue the the 1986 Jeep Comanche diesel project. Goal is to dive Alaska Highway. Then to Central America.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
12 years is a good run. I bought mine almost 7 years ago.... will I be able to go another 5? It’s already 22 years old....

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I have the same worries about my cars. I've owned the Mk3 Jetta tdi since 2002 but it's had the good fortune to spend a significant number of winters inside a garage too.

At 56 years of age I keep hoping that I'll be able to nurse the wagon and jetta along as a pair for at least 10 or 15 years, maybe more if I move south or keep them both inside during the winter.

I have a 94 Dakota 2wd that I intend to start driving in the winter because of the brine spray and salt situation. I know it's not diesel but it's so tough to get the tdi warm in the winter, the Dakota was a cheap solution that I intend to have roadworthy by next winter.

At any rate John, I have no doubt that your car will receive good care with the new owner.

Steve

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Never thought I'd see the day! But I get it after owning a couple B4s along with a few later cars as well. B4 ergonomics aren't great. The dumb little things that like to break repeatedly gets old to deal with and you said it, parts availability is getting bad.

But, thanks for including me on a couple of the more interesting upgrades back in my mobile days. I still remember the 6 speed conversion and you almost seemed more impressed with the Mk4 shift linkage upgrade than the extra gear! Haha

And of course what happened afterwards from a visit to Manzanita Brewing that maybe left the better half less than thrilled with us... definitely a story to tell!

Hope the Commanche turns out to be an even more epic (off) road trip machine.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day, but then I think we'll all get there eventually. I'm glad it went to a fellow enthusiast.

I'm listing my own sedan for sale soon, but I'll keep the wagon. I find I just don't have the time to work on both and with the additions to the wagon, the extra space and fuel capacity, and engine issue with the sedan, it's time to go. It's been a good run but I have had it almost 11 years. I just repaired the floorboards in it as well.

So if anyone is interested, I'll make them a deal just to move to it an enthusiast here. It's not perfect by any means but is worthy of attention by someone who will appreciate it. I may swap some parts out with the wagon since all the best stuff was put onto the sedan over the last few years but it'll still be a steal.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Being that Whitbread is the new owner, I wonder if the will be the birth of a new "Monster Wagon".

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
Can't deny I've been thinking about parting with mine as well...

Since retiring from the National Guard I just don't make that super long trip every month and my regular local M-F commute (20k/year) has became a gov't van-pool a few years ago...so the benefit of MPGs ain't that important right now...

Been thinking about moving over to a Subaru wagon (I probably have more use for 4x4 than MPGs at this point) since I can now spend more time on the beach or up at my camp.

plus with 2-3 other vehicles and 3 Harleys.....so many toys, so little time...

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Being that Whitbread is the new owner, I wonder if the will be the birth of a new "Monster Wagon".
The B4V already has a bunch of Whitbread magic done one: 172 hp at front wheels with GTC1549 turbo. Matt did the conversion for me 3 years ago. TdMeister pointed me to that turbo and provided invaluable engineering support. It has the last set of Koni Yellow shocks IDparts had. The EuroTuning 6 speed conversion was the very first one done in the U.S. and has been flawless. IMHO, that is the very best modification done to the B4. Check out my signature for more info. Abacus, and any number of members here have provided huge material support.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Also explains why I didn’t get an email response from you JJ since you posted this the day after I sent it to you. Must’ve been in the works for a spell, I guess.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Michael, was going thru a mourning period. Still am
But the wagon has a good home.

My TDI Jeep Comanche keeps me in the TDI world. Same high performance GTC1549 turbo. Just a milder tune. And stronger 12.9 head bolts. Injectors are stage 1 race 520. So tons of upsideliabee torque and the big 4.0 aJeep H.D. clutch.

Your dad would love this truck!

Replacement daily driver is 2001 v6 Honda Accord. No soul, but reliable as anything on the market. Only 116 k miles. But around town mpg is 15.75!! Gorgeous condition, owned by retired school teacher neighbor. Cost less to buy than I have spent on this repairs this year.

Owned a 1977 Honda Accord. Best car I ever owned till some stupid dealer performed a factory recall. Turned it into a total P.O.S. at 50k miles.
Thanks so much for all your input and assistance for years. Both on the forum and in person.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Replacement daily driver is 2001 v6 Honda Accord. No soul, but reliable as anything on the market. Only 116 k miles. But around town mpg is 15.75!!
I bought a 2014 Kia Optima when the sedan died last February and the wagon developed problems that took too much time to fix. It had 22K on it and is bumper to bumper warrantied to 100K. It is nice not *having* to work on a car and just driving it, but it also has no soul. It does everything well but I honestly prefer the B4's more and 33 mpg stinks compared to the 50 of the TDI's.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I glanced at your thread, I'll be reading it more in the future.

Always liked the Comanche, have thought about doing tdi conversion to the 94 Dakota I got last fall on the cheap but that's more than I want to get involved in right now. I'd have to switch to MT to be happy with it though, which would require some JY visits to find everything I need.

At the moment I'm just not enthused enough to do it, and it would mean that my spare AHU engine would no longer be a spare....

Steve

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Here is a follow up story you guys will love.

Whitbread was out here to pick up a 1 ton Chevy truck he wants to convert to an old 2 stroke GMC diesel.

He used the truck to tow the Passat home. But, 500 miles from home, the truck crapped out wit a burned valve or more.

He left the truck and drove the Passat home. Even used Passat to drag truck 6 miles to safety.

Matt called me Sunday night just 20 miles from home to share the story

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Leased a 2018 Chevy Volt on Saturday as my daily driver replacement for the B4V. The Volt lease is $254 per month for 12K miles/year. Residual is $16,xxx in 3 years. My buddy who has a 2016 Volt with 45K miles just spent his first maintenance dollars on his Volt to change the oil to full synthetic.

This is my second attempt to replace the B4V in a month. My first replacement was a 2001 Honda Accord V6. An OK car, but the mpg really sucks: 15 around town and 20 on freeway.

Still reading here just about every day.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
John; I am just seeing & reading this thread for the first time. Sorry to read of your selling your B4V. I am a few years younger than you, but, I get it, understand the reasons & periodically, thoughts cross my mind of selling mine. Good luck with the replacement cars. FWIW, the 15 GSW's are nice but no where near the space.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
John, I understand your decision. I only drive my B4 occasionally, but it has its appeal. It's a little rough and loud by today's standards, and it is approaching 300K miles which adds to its "character" but I'm hard pressed to part with it. Especially since it doesn't have a lot of value and doesn't cost me much to keep it. And as soon as I sell it one of my sons will need a car, guaranteed.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Doing comps on B4V's currently for sale for insurance, and the average price for the 5 good ones on CL across the US is $6,400. They're worth more than we realize.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
"Good ones" is a pretty broad term. And several years ago they wouldn't be on CL, they'd be sold immediately. I managed to get my B4V way back in '08 by offering the seller full price 20 minutes after it went up on TDIClub. He got 10 calls between the time he accepted my offer and I was able to wire funds. Those days are long gone.

I would guess that B4Vs are worth about half what they were worth 6-8 years ago. And sedans, even less.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Considering the B4 platform, like the A4 & A5 platforms, are 6 to 8 years older, with commensurate number of miles, etc, I suspect the B4V's have held there value equal to what the A4Vs did, the 09 JSWs, & all the sedans. The TDI attraction is not what it was 6 to 8 years ago. One need look any further than the participation here on Fred's & the lack of interest in TDIFests.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Considering the B4 platform, like the A4 & A5 platforms, are 6 to 8 years older, with commensurate number of miles, etc, I suspect the B4V's have held there value equal to what the A4Vs did, the 09 JSWs, & all the sedans. The TDI attraction is not what it was 6 to 8 years ago. One need look any further than the participation here on Fred's & the lack of interest in TDIFests.
I have noticed the same waning interest in TDI's, however, I think that will likely not last. I would guess that at some point oil will again rise and make some current vehicle choices less than desirable, which will again increase interest in diesel power as the toll on the budget becomes too much to handle.

Truth be known people are again living on the edge with very high levels of debt and not much room to maneuver should something unexpected come up. Inflation is running rather hot too and prices are rising. Anyone with an ounce of sense and a decent commute should be looking at a tdi as an alternative, but that's just my opinion.

I think we will again see the day that diesel comes in to favor, goodness knows that full electric isn't the be all to end all. When you factor in the problem of riding around on 400v battery packs and the recent 'fires' they're not the best choice. And that doesn't consider the fact that the power source they use to charge their batteries is primarily coal.

I would not be happy if I had to switch to a petrol powered car, that would be budget negative here.

Steve

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
There is no lack of interest in my locale. I'm still getting A4s and A5 BRM cars here after they have changed hand yet another time. Almost all are in the 200K + catagory.

The A3/B4s are almost nonexistent though. Same with CR cars because of the buyback.

Some of the owners are commuters but a lot of the owners just love the diesel format for the thrill of the ride.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I miss mine too, I bought a gen 2 prius and it's been great for 20k miles and good on gas, no complaints other than it lacks power and space, but averages about 49mpg and it's quieter and easier to drive.

I think the B4s are not as modern feeling and easy on the limbs as newer cars, that's not a bad thing, but I can see why people that go for looks, style, gadgets etc go for newer cars. Still I wish I had my old wagon back, and also the time and money to keep up with it!

The prices are still pretty good I think.I bought mine 6 years ago for $7k, drove it for 65k miles and sold it for $5k, there was a lot of interest too. I can see a super top notch one going for $10k or more, might take a while to find the buyer but I reckon they are out there. People still pay nice cars crazy money for them don't they?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
There is no lack of interest in my locale. I'm still getting A4s and A5 BRM cars here after they have changed hand yet another time. Almost all are in the 200K + catagory.

The A3/B4s are almost nonexistent though. Same with CR cars because of the buyback.

Some of the owners are commuters but a lot of the owners just love the diesel format for the thrill of the ride.
That's actually great to hear. I was very worried that the diesel emissions scandal had tainted (once again) the image but it looks like the public saw the outrage for what it really was, who knows. At any rate it appears diesel might have survived even with the declaration out there that "diesel was dead" even though I (gladly) don't remember where I read that.

I think we can all remember back to the late 70's early 80's when GM managed to sabotage the diesel market in one fell swoop with a vastly inferior product that had largely inadequate testing on the road. There are still people who remember that era and wonder whether it was intentional or not. Peugeot was forced to depart from the US in the post-GM fiasco environment and VW stopped offering diesel in the US for a number of years.

The buyback has created an interesting situation in the used car market. Now that those are being withdrawn the number of available units of the early years, and decidedly more affordable, has been diminished significantly. It will be interesting to see whether this impacts pricing of older / newer models. I can't help but believe it will.

I miss mine too, I bought a gen 2 prius and it's been great for 20k miles and good on gas, no complaints other than it lacks power and space, but averages about 49mpg and it's quieter and easier to drive.

I think the B4s are not as modern feeling and easy on the limbs as newer cars, that's not a bad thing, but I can see why people that go for looks, style, gadgets etc go for newer cars. Still I wish I had my old wagon back, and also the time and money to keep up with it!

The prices are still pretty good I think.I bought mine 6 years ago for $7k, drove it for 65k miles and sold it for $5k, there was a lot of interest too. I can see a super top notch one going for $10k or more, might take a while to find the buyer but I reckon they are out there. People still pay nice cars crazy money for them don't they?
True, the earlier chassis is more crude, but compared to the B5/5.5 it's a lot less difficult to maintain and a lot less expensive to maintain too.

I still believe that a decent B4 wagon, like the one at the auction in Iowa recently, is worth at least $4000 if it's clean and runs well etc. You can't buy that much cargo capacity for that amount of mpg.

Steve