3.0 Gen 2 Post Fix Warranty Details

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I have went through the docs a couple of times and can't seem to find the details in regards to the warranty for post fix Gen 2 3.0 TDi's. Does anyone have that info handy?
The "bridge warranty" I did find, but am more concerned over the post fix detail. Thanks!

puggi

TDI
2015 Passat SEL (2), 2014 Passat SE 6MT, 2014 JSW 6MT, 2012 Passat SE, 2012 Q7, 2010 Jetta, 2009 Touareg
DOJ Second Partial Consent Decree
Appendix B: 3.9

DrgRnnr

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Thanks. As I read this, if an owner delays their fix to the end of the fix period they will have an additional 48 month/48000 mile extended emissions warranty covering the engine, emissions equipment and the fuel system.

I see little reason to get the fix early as you are covered by the same warranty under the "bridge warranty" terms until said fix is completed. There is no mileage designation under the bridge terms allowing for you to exceed the 120,000 miles qualification stated in the decree before completing the fix. Is there a scenario where one would complete the fix ASAP that I am missing?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Is there a scenario where one would complete the fix ASAP that I am missing?
To get the fix money. If you buy Gen 2s as a speculative investment and VW does find a timely fix, you'll want the repair money ASAP so you can unload them. Speaking from firsthand experience here.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
I see little reason to get the fix early as you are covered by the same warranty under the "bridge warranty" terms until said fix is completed. There is no mileage designation under the bridge terms allowing for you to exceed the 120,000 miles qualification stated in the decree before completing the fix. Is there a scenario where one would complete the fix ASAP that I am missing?

That will be the best course for many, particularly those with 2013's or higher mileage cases. For owners of newer, lower mileage vehicles, ten years/120K from inception will turn out better.

Note that it is the LATER of 10/120 or 4/48, but the SOONER of 10 vs. 120 or 4 vs. 48, if that makes sense. So, if you drive lots of miles your warranty will end at the additional 48 or the 120 from inception, whichever is later.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
So our 2014 has 115k miles. We are approaching the 120k miles quickly even though its only about 3.5 years old. So clearly we will be in the 4/48k warranty group.

So can anyone clarify the bridge warranty. Am I correct reading that we will somehow be covered under warranty from (some future date where fix is approved???) up until the we have the fix performed, at which point the 4/48 would start?

In our case I think the incentive money is about $8k and will be split with the previous owner so no huge rush to get a payout.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
3.9 Warranty: Defendants must provide an Emission Control System and an Engine
Long Block warranty (collectively, the “Extended Emissions Warranty”) for each Subject 3.0
Liter Vehicle receiving an Approved Emissions Modification. The Extended Emissions
Case 3:15-md-02672-CRB Document 2520-1 Filed 12/20/16 Page 122 of 164
21 APPENDIX B TO SECOND
PARTIAL CONSENT DECREE
MDL No. 2672 CRB (JSC)
Warranty shall cover all parts and labor, as well as the cost or provision of a loaner vehicle for
warranty service lasting longer than 3 hours. Defendants must not impose on consumers any fees
or charges, and must pay any fees or charges imposed by its dealers related to the warranty
service. The Extended Emissions Warranty shall provide warranty coverage as follows.
3.9.1 The Emission Control System warranty must cover the entire emission
control system including (1) all components that are replaced, repaired, installed,
upgraded, or otherwise modified as part of the Approved Emissions Modification; (2) all
components listed in subparagraphs 3.9.1 and 3.9.2; (3) and any other component that can
reasonably be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification. The
Emission Control System warranty must cover, at a minimum, the following parts:
i. The entire exhaust aftertreatment system including the DOC, the DPF, the
SCR catalyst, the dosing injector and other DEF system components, all
sensors and actuators, and any exhaust flap;
ii. The entire fuel system, including the fuel pumps, high pressure common
rail, fuel injectors, and all sensors and actuators;
iii. The EGR system including the EGR valve, EGR bypass valve, EGR
cooler, EGR filter, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and
actuators;
iv. The turbocharger system including all related hoses and pipes, all sensors
and actuators;
v. The OBD System and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems;
and
vi. The ECU and the TCU.
3.9.2 The Engine Long Block warranty must cover the engine sub-assembly that
consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft, and valve train.
3.9.3 The warranty period for the Extended Emissions Warranty shall be the
greater of:
i. 10 years or 120,000 actual miles whichever comes first; and
ii. 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of
implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for
resale, in which case, from the date and mileage of the first resale
transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith
purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
So our 2014 has 115k miles. We are approaching the 120k miles quickly even though its only about 3.5 years old. So clearly we will be in the 4/48k warranty group.

So can anyone clarify the bridge warranty. Am I correct reading that we will somehow be covered under warranty from (some future date where fix is approved???) up until the we have the fix performed, at which point the 4/48 would start?

In our case I think the incentive money is about $8k and will be split with the previous owner so no huge rush to get a payout.

The bridge warranty was intended to get drivers from their original warranty to the time of the fix. It also provides for an oil change for free and AdBlue. It's been a while since I looked at the settlement fine print. OP's idea that one could wait until the end of 2019, essentially the last possible moment, to get the fix and start the clock on the 4/48 seems not out of the realm of possibility. We don't know what the fix might entail. If it is like the 2015 2.0 it might have a larger cat or some kind of hardware replacement, which would start the clock.

For now, assuming the judge signs, which he says he will do, we wait on the fix to happen. Nothing starts, at the soonest, until then. My dealer is not going to enjoy giving me a free oil change, haha.

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
I thought I read somewhere that the bridge warranty was only until the fix is approved, not when the fix is implemented. Otherwise, nobody with the intention of keeping the car would rush to get the fix.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I thought I read somewhere that the bridge warranty was only until the fix is approved, not when the fix is implemented. Otherwise, nobody with the intention of keeping the car would rush to get the fix.
Correct, the bridge warranty is only in effect until the fix is approved.,,not installed.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I dont think Gen2's dont get a free oil change & adblue fillup unless the fix dont come in a timely manner, though some dealers probably dont pay enough attention.

Jon B

TDI
2001 beetle/2005 jetta wagon/2010 jetta tdi sportwagon dsg
Purchasing a post Dieselgate tdi

Hey all, don’t post often but have had 4 tdi’s since 2005. Currently have a 2005 SportWagen with 218000 mi. Sent a 2010 thru the buyback with too many interior malfunctions to keep. Now that it’s post Dieselgate and the fix is in, I’m thinking of buying another.
Maybe I need an attorney to advise here but what I’m seeing are tdi’s that seem to have been traded prior Dieselgate repair and are at the dealers, repaired buybacks at the VW dealers, and the same at Independant lots. As I understand the extended warranty, if someone did the fix, traded it in and it’s rebought by a 3rd party from the dealer the 48 month warranty may not apply.
It’s either that or the dealer doesn’t count as one of the parties since they had it for resale. Anyone had experience with this yet. Not thinking I’d trust the advice of a VW dealer but “who you gonna call”
Hoping to latch onto a touareg tdi or another SportWagen since they are more aplenty it seems. I’m having people tell me the touareg requires a good deal more maintenance. Any opinions on that are appreciated.

Jon B
1997 eurovan rialta 112,000
2005 Jetta SportWagen
2010 Jetta SportWagen buyout

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
The warranty runs with the vehicle, not with the owner. Therefore it doesn’t end when ownership ends or changes.