Seat Question

Runnerguy45

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Black JSW, 2015 Golf
So I took the money for my 2011 TDI Sportwagon and purchased 2017 base GTI.
I love everything about the GTI but the seats.
I am having back/hip issues and I'm trying to figure out the cause. It's at the point where I can't drive my GTI.
I've got an old 1989 Chevy pickup and my back is fine on the old bench seat.
The base GTI has no lumbar support.

Are the seats different between the Sportwagen and the base GTI ?

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I suppose that there is a reason why they have higher up models with more bang for the buck !
Spend the money and see if you can fit better seats in the car.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Compared to the base GTI seats, the base (S, SE) Sportwagon seats are a bit wider between the side bolsters, the side bolsters themselves are less aggressive (lower) and they have manually adjustable lumbar. When you say the base GTI seats have no lumbar, you mean it isn't adjustable, but the fixed lumbar projection may be more prominent than the adjustable lumbar of the Sportwagen seats when adjusted for minimum projection. I can't speak for the difference in foam density (firmness) between the two but my best guess is that its minimal if any; they are pretty firm.

None of this necessarily addresses your specific discomfort and, unfortunately there's no substitute for actually living with a replacement seat for a few days. Is there any possibility of renting a Sportwagen for a few days? Or perhaps a loaner from your dealer if there's a recall on your model that requires a minimum of an overnight stay?

If I were in your area, you'd be welcome to install my SE seat. I've replaced my SE seats with SELs. BTW, I'm not sure if SEL seats would be a better or worse alternative for you than S/SE seats.

Last edited:

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
On further thought, the SEL seats might be more appropriate for you than S/SE seats. They're closer to GTI seats in terms of the more supportive side bolstering and they look sportier than the S/SEs. More importantly, though, compared to the S/SEs, the bottom cushion tilts as well as raises/lowers and I wonder if that might be a benefit for your hip pain if you can shift where your weight is carried on the cushion from front to rear. Also, the SEL's 4-way power lumbar adjustment is a plus compared to the S/SE's 2-way manual adjustment, although I imagine that would be less of a benefit for your hips.

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I loved the seats in my x 2014 TDI SEL Sportswagon, I could drive 500 miles nonstop and feel fine..and did very often

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I too am older now with a bit of a hip/back issue as well. I'm also a bit wider than I used to be.

As someone mentioned before the back and hip bolsters are quite a bit more noticeable on a GTI than a Golf Sportwagen or Golf hatch, squeezing one's thighs and hips.

The engineers have designed it so that you have to be of a certain age and stature, kind of like how clothing stores that cater to 20-somethings have skinny cut jeans and shirts that wont fit a full grown man. I guess it's their way of telling us somewhat older "Dad-body" types that we aren't cool enough for that product anymore, and trying to do it at our age just looks like we're trying too hard.

The deepest/widest seat are on the Passat and Atlas, Then the Tiguan and Jetta Sedan, then slightly more narrow/shorter overall bottom length of the Golf, Golf Wagon. The smallest/narrowest seat is the GTI.

To be quite honest though, in terms of true comfort, the Tiguan's seating position is probably the best. Especially for people with hip/back issues. First,the vehicle itself sits up higher than the sedans and hatchbacks, making it easier to get in and out. Second-- The seat is higher off the floor, (think of a kitchen chair versus a chaise lounge). giving you the ability to sit more upright and straight and less with your legs straight out in front of you like a GTI.

The engine on the Tiguan is also the 2.0 L TSI engine that comes in the GTI, although it's not quite as "tweaked for speed" as a GTI, but a simple aftermarket reflash can take care of that.

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
So I took the money for my 2011 TDI Sportwagon and purchased 2017 base GTI.
I love everything about the GTI but the seats.
I am having back/hip issues and I'm trying to figure out the cause. It's at the point where I can't drive my GTI.
I've got an old 1989 Chevy pickup and my back is fine on the old bench seat.
The base GTI has no lumbar support.

Are the seats different between the Sportwagen and the base GTI ?

I had a 2014 Sportswagon (buyback) and the seats were wonderful..