2015 Q5 TDI Oil Consumption

mswanson65

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI, 2007 Chevy 2500HD Durmax
2015 Q5 TDI Oil Consumption Question

Hi All,
A couple months ago I picked up a used 2015 Q5 TDI with 38K miles. It had the "fix" done just before my purchase. At 41K miles I had my local dealer do the 35K audicare service that was remaining from previous owner.

I am now at almost 45K and I noticed that the mmi oil meter is 1/4 down from max. I am a little paranoid on oil consumption having come from a couple of B8 A4 Avants with the 2.0 engine.

Should I be concerned here with a small amount of consumption in about 4K miles or should the 3.0 TDI go 10K with no consumption.

Also what are you guys doing for oil change interval? I used to do 5K with Mobil 1 0-w40 in my A4s.

Also what is a good oil to use

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Should I be concerned here with a small amount of consumption in about 4K miles or should the 3.0 TDI go 10K with no consumption.

Also what are you guys doing for oil change interval? I used to do 5K with Mobil 1 0-w40 in my A4s.

Also what is a good oil to use

Thanks!

You should not be concerned. There is no record of any increase in oil burning over time with the 3.0 TDI engine. I also use about .25 liter between 10K services, just like you are reporting.

Any oil that meets the TDI specification is fine. I use Liqui-Moly Top Tech.

https://www.europaparts.com/oil-change-kit-tdi-v6.html

mswanson65

TDI
My .25 liter useage was in 3700 miles.

I called the dealer and they said not to worry, just to top off.

I got a dip stick in the mail tonight. Will check it tomorrow, maybe the mmi is not accurate.

I used to do 5K oil change interval on my Avant. I haven't decided if I want or need to do that with the Q5 or go with the dealer recommended 10K.

I guess it can't hurt to do it mor frequently cause its a great vehicle and I would like it to last.

Thanks for the responses.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Over the course of 35K miles on my Q5 I haven't noticed significant oil consumption. I would continue to monitor as you are doing. Changing the oil any more frequently than 10K intervals is a waste of money, if your are using the specified VW507 oil (unless you are driving it particularly hard).

SigQ5

TDI
Q5
My .25 liter useage was in 3700 miles.

I called the dealer and they said not to worry, just to top off.

I got a dip stick in the mail tonight. Will check it tomorrow, maybe the mmi is not accurate.

I used to do 5K oil change interval on my Avant. I haven't decided if I want or need to do that with the Q5 or go with the dealer recommended 10K.

I guess it can't hurt to do it mor frequently cause its a great vehicle and I would like it to last.

Thanks for the responses.
Pls advise where you bought the oil dipstick, and how do you like it. I would like to buy a good one
Thx

mswanson65

TDI

2ndone

TDI
Audi Q5
The owners' manual for my 2015 Q5 TDI and for that matter my 2012 A6 (gas engine) states that the oil level shown on the MMI is for the "top" quart of oil. Thus, if the MMI appears to show that the oil level is down say 25%, that only means that there has been a 25% drop in the oil in the "top" quart and not a 25% drop in the entire oil supply in the vehicle. Service reps at 2 Audi dealers have confirmed this several times over the last few years. When they have topped off the oil at my request, they also have reported that it took an amount commensurate with the measurement from the "top" quart.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
The owners' manual for my 2015 Q5 TDI and for that matter my 2012 A6 (gas engine) states that the oil level shown on the MMI is for the "top" quart of oil. Thus, if the MMI appears to show that the oil level is down say 25%, that only means that there has been a 25% drop in the oil in the "top" quart and not a 25% drop in the entire oil supply in the vehicle. Service reps at 2 Audi dealers have confirmed this several times over the last few years. When they have topped off the oil at my request, they also have reported that it took an amount commensurate with the measurement from the "top" quart.
Just like a traditional dipstick

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
Since both the Q5 and Q7 take the same dipstick tube 059115630AH, the 059115611AM dipstick should work. My '15 Q7 with 4300 left on a 10k mile oil change is down to the top of the wide part from the max. In the past it didn't seem to go much below that. I've been meaning to not fill it above that and see if stays there, it's just 9l seems to take it right to the max. My BHW B5.5 seems to eat up anything above the wide part quickly. I could not find the oil level in the MMI to give a reference. It'll have to wait for me to get the Ross-tech out.

007_e350

TDI
Q7 AL
I would never do an OCI of 10k even if the oil is made on Mars.. I do one oil change in between factory intervals and notice slight change n performance everytime.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
I would never do an OCI of 10k even if the oil is made on Mars.. I do one oil change in between factory intervals and notice slight change n performance everytime.

Lol. If you were closer I'd buy your "used up" oil from you so I could run it in my own car.

j2112morris

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 Premium Plus TDI (sold)
I'm on my fourth TDI with a combined mileage of over 200K. I follow the recommended services and have not had any problems. My first dealer encouraged oil changes every 5K and I declined. Everyone has to care for their vehicles how they see fit but I am fine with 10K changes.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I tried to enable the oil level in the MMI to provide a Q7 reference of MMI oil level vs dipstick oil level but it only shows up greyed out and says it's not available. So, guess I won't be posting that.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Lol. If you were closer I'd buy your "used up" oil from you so I could run it in my own car.
I second that.

It is interesting how many people think they are helping their engines last longer by changing the oil so often. There was quite an extensive explanation on this forum by a petroleum engineer as to why shorter OCIs can actually cause more engine wear. From my personal experience I own a 2007 Duramax that I changed the oil every 12-15k with Mobil1 5w40 TDT and I now have over 333,000 miles on it. Everything on the engine is original and it averages 23+mpg and uses 1/4 to 1/2 quart in that time period.
The correct 507 spec oil for these engines is not cheap, and I'm not independently wealthy so I just follow what the people who have spent $100s millions in R&D on these engines recommend.
Just my $.02