Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
My wife's 2001 Malibu is a fifth generation Malibu, built on the GM N-platform. The sixth generation is the rebadged Opal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Malibu
Actually is isn't a REBADGED Opel but uses the GM Epsilon platform which was BASED on the Opel Vectra as mentioned in the first sentence of the Sixth Generation section of that Wikipedia article.

The most obvious example of rebadging is from the third generation of the Chevy NOVA when the Omega, Ventura, and Apollo came out from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick respectively.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
Actually is isn't a REBADGED Opel but uses the GM Epsilon platform which was BASED on the Opel Vectra as mentioned in the first sentence of the Sixth Generation section of that Wikipedia article.

The most obvious example of rebadging is from the third generation of the Chevy NOVA when the Omega, Ventura, and Apollo came out from Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Buick respectively.
Yup, you're right. I didn't read too far into the next section. Regardless, though, the fill is on the same side as my Beetle, and still gets 30mpg on the freeway with almost 280,000 miles on the odometer.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Had my first "story" in a very long time. A Fedex driver asked if I knew that I was putting diesel in my car at the Cumberland Farms station in Framingham, MA. I was shocked. No one ever said anything to me when I would fill up my MB E320. My wife says she gets questioned almost every time she fills her BMW X3.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm on about my 15th fill on my Ram 1500. Still waiting for someone to comment or notice that I'm putting diesel in it. Maybe the Ecodiesel emblems on the side help.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
When the gas pipeline broke in GA, there was panic buying. Went to the station I normally use (I was below a 1/4 tank) and there were lines 5 & 6 deep to all the pumps. They do have a diesel only island, in addition to having diesel on all the regular gas pumps.

Lots of dirty looks as I pulled around those in line, then envy when I pulled to the diesel only island to fill up. This island has the hoses/nozzles for filling big trucks, but still fits in the filler neck.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I'm on about my 15th fill on my Ram 1500. Still waiting for someone to comment or notice that I'm putting diesel in it. Maybe the Ecodiesel emblems on the side help.

How do you like that ecodiesel ? performance ? Any other comments on it ?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
When the gas pipeline broke in GA, there was panic buying. Went to the station I normally use (I was below a 1/4 tank) and there were lines 5 & 6 deep to all the pumps. They do have a diesel only island, in addition to having diesel on all the regular gas pumps.

Lots of dirty looks as I pulled around those in line, then envy when I pulled to the diesel only island to fill up. This island has the hoses/nozzles for filling big trucks, but still fits in the filler neck.

One of the nice things I like about my Beetle - she can take it big and fast - but I still prefer the autodiesel pumps.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've been driving to Mexico since 2002 with a VW Diesel and only until fairly recently at a filling station the attendants would frantically wave me to go to a gasoline pump. They did not know that there are Diesel cars.

In the last few years they have become accustomed to Diesel cars.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Was filling up on the way home from a movie the other day, whole family in the car, and like 95 degrees outside. I stopped at the pump, left it running, and went around to the pump to pay and fuel up. My wife rolls down the window to ask me if I plan to fill up with the car running :)

"Yes dear, it's a diesel so it doesn't have explosive vapor issues like a gasoline car does. I figured you would all be more comfortable with the AC on..."

I got an eye roll and a sigh; but she put the window up and enjoyed the AC while I pumped fuel... :p

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
not exactly a concern on gas cars either now between a few factors
mainly no longer having the relatively open-air spark gap from the distributor rotor to cap posts,
and the evaporative emission system pretty well trapping fuel vapors displaced by the added fuel in the carbon cannister.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Though gas cars can set MIL with the EVAP system not expecting fuel input while testing tank for leaks or purging vapors into the engine. Also some of the newer cars (gas or Diesel) get weird fuel level problems if you fill with it running (with the computer reading the level).

Funny though one of the biggest fuel flash offs I have seen was a Diesel. The vapor from Diesel is apparently harder to start, but makes a bigger boom when it does. Filling on on a hot summer day around hot engines and such can do it.

Like [486] said though, most modern vehicles have enough safety crap on them to make this very uncommon.

Jason

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I always pay at the pump; it typically takes about three minutes; so I almost never shut off the engine while refueling.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't have cable brakes any more, so I've gotta shut down if I want it to stay put.

Gotta get around to pulling apart the rear calipers and figuring out why they're so sticky.

rentica

TDI
Golf
When I was filling up my car at the gasoline station, i had some stupid discussion with worker there who seems to be very unpleasant.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't have cable brakes any more, so I've gotta shut down if I want it to stay put.

Gotta get around to pulling apart the rear calipers and figuring out why they're so sticky.

By " Cable brakes" are we to assume you mean the handbrake???

The reason that a lot cause a problem is because people do NOT use them each and every time they park the car. :mad:
It can cause the cables to rust in place !!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
By " Cable brakes" are we to assume you mean the handbrake???

The reason that a lot cause a problem is because people do NOT use them each and every time they park the car. :mad:
It can cause the cables to rust in place !!!
actually used them until they started sticking, then added some huge springs onto the caliper ends of the cables to force the return and used them for a couple more years until they stopped returning again

rust don't care, it gets in the outside sheath and smashes the inner teflon sheath against the cable and hey presto your cables pull but don't release

maybe back in the days when they had oil zerks on brake cables was that true, where it was all just steel on steel and it'd wear away the rust causing interference, but everything since the '90s has had plastic sheathed cable and a plastic lined outer sheath pipe reaction tube dingus

really sucks how the automotive world is so full of ancient wives tale advice that no longer applies

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
not exactly a concern on gas cars either now between a few factors
mainly no longer having the relatively open-air spark gap from the distributor rotor to cap posts,
and the evaporative emission system pretty well trapping fuel vapors displaced by the added fuel in the carbon cannister.
Fuel going through the hose and nozzle develop static electricity which could cause a spark. It is true that diesel is less likely ignite from a random spark because the flash point is 126F to 205F and Gas is -35F to -45F.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
When I was filling up my car at the gasoline station, i had some stupid discussion with worker there who seems to be very unpleasant.
It could be that they did not recognize your superior intelligence. Just so you know stupid people do not know they are stupid.

Send them over here to Merica. Being American is a celebration of stupid.:D

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Fuel going through the hose and nozzle develop static electricity which could cause a spark.
Ever seen bulk fuel hose? Look closely at the reinforcing braid on the cut end, two of the strands of roving are copper to act as a ground bonding lead.

Not fuel line, just big stuff 3/4 and up.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Ever seen bulk fuel hose? Look closely at the reinforcing braid on the cut end, two of the strands of roving are copper to act as a ground bonding lead.

Not fuel line, just big stuff 3/4 and up.

Ahhh. I remember filling up with those in my 80s era Rabbit. Nothing like filling up a 14 gallon tank in 2 minutes.... and then splashing 1/4 gallon of diesel fuel on your shoes. Then standing with wet shoes, ever so slowly filling up the tank to the very tip top and waiting for the foam to settle until it was "really" truly full.

I miss those days.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I'm curious about the nature of the "unpleasant" conversation. Did the worker think you were about to make a big mistake by putting diesel into your "gasoline" car?

I haven't had any conversations at the diesel pump recently. The owner/manager at my favorite truck stop in NH motions me to go ahead and pump first then pay afterwards even though cash sales normally are pay first. I can't do that when other people are working there.

:)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
In the million of gallons of fuel I've pumped, I've never used those diesel mitts.

So I amused myself and put on one. Then a 2nd on the other hand. Just in case.

. My buddy ran in to go use the restroom. I pumped fuel. As finishing pumping, he returned. I said I need to use the bathroom too. I walked away still wearing the clear plastic mitts.

As I walked away, he told me to try and make them brown somehow. I asked how am I going to do that? He said "you think of something..."

I entered the restroom and there was a guy standing playing on his phone. I tries to open the stall door, which was locked and he said his kid is in there.

So, I turned, held my mitts up, and asked "is he pooping?"

The dude has a serious *** look his face. I shrugged and turned about and pissed in the urinal, wearing the mitts.

Flushed, walked to the sink, took off the mitts so I could wash my hands, dried hands, told the guy have a good day.

Buddy was having a smoke at the building waiting for me.

I told him I didn't get them brown, but told him my story that I tried, and he about face planted the ground. He then said let's go before the cops show up.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In the million of gallons of fuel I've pumped, I've never used those diesel mitts.

So I amused myself and put on one. Then a 2nd on the other hand. Just in case.

. My buddy ran in to go use the restroom. I pumped fuel. As finishing pumping, he returned. I said I need to use the bathroom too. I walked away still wearing the clear plastic mitts.

As I walked away, he told me to try and make them brown somehow. I asked how am I going to do that? He said "you think of something..."

I entered the restroom and there was a guy standing playing on his phone. I tries to open the stall door, which was locked and he said his kid is in there.

So, I turned, held my mitts up, and asked "is he pooping?"

The dude has a serious *** look his face. I shrugged and turned about and pissed in the urinal, wearing the mitts.

Flushed, walked to the sink, took off the mitts so I could wash my hands, dried hands, told the guy have a good day.

Buddy was having a smoke at the building waiting for me.

I told him I didn't get them brown, but told him my story that I tried, and he about face planted the ground. He then said let's go before the cops show up.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Has me rolling on the floor. I think your buddy was right to get you out of there before the cops showed up.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Just curious in how many lifetimes did you use a million gallons of fuel?:confused:
Assuming you're in your early 50's that would be 550 gallons per week.:eek:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Just curious in how many lifetimes did you use a million gallons of fuel?:confused:
Assuming you're in your early 50's that would be 550 gallons per week.:eek:
OR he could work at a petroleum station that DISPENSES diesel into the tankers that take it to the smaller local stations. How many gallons does a tanker trailer carry?