finally took a real road trip with the car, some small issues

BlackBHW

TDI
99.5 Jetta ALH. 05 B5.5 Passat
Took the 05 on her first road trip since getting her running! Ive put just over 6k on her in the last couple months but no long trips till this past week. Drove from NE NC to Orlando its just shy of 800 miles one way... On the way down we stopped one time for dinner and fuel and made it in 12.5 hrs and got 41.1mpg! got 35mpg in Orlando traffic all week and 38 on the first leg back home. Gonna fill her up tonight on the way home from work and see what that tank got. She used 1 qt of oil round trip, kinda happy with that as it usually uses more at home.... no real issues with how the car performed on the trip other than the MFD in the instrument cluster. So I have the typical fade out of the multi function display in the cluster when its hot and I can live with that but something I noticed on the way home is it reset my trip time while driving home and the calculated mileage was off a good bit too. When I filled up the display said 34.4mpg but math said 41.1 even though the 17" tires have the mileage off 1.5% so it really was above 41.1 by math, not that big of a deal I just remember my 09 was spot on every fillup... now on the way home it said the trip was 8hrs 40 min and we were in the car over 12hrs so im assuming it reset while driving. do others have these same issues and for those that have did a cluster fix the issue or is the root cause somewhere else? on a side note my cruise quit working this morning, haha. had to slow down before passing a rig on the way into work and after I passed I went to reset the cruise and it wouldn't engage, has the cruise light etc but doesn't work... always something with this car!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Took the 05 on her first road trip since getting her running! Ive put just over 6k on her in the last couple months but no long trips till this past week. Drove from NE NC to Orlando its just shy of 800 miles one way... On the way down we stopped one time for dinner and fuel and made it in 12.5 hrs and got 41.1mpg! got 35mpg in Orlando traffic all week and 38 on the first leg back home.

Gonna fill her up tonight on the way home from work and see what that tank got. She used 1 qt of oil round trip, kinda happy with that as it usually uses more at home.... no real issues with how the car performed on the trip other than the MFD in the instrument cluster.

So I have the typical fade out of the multi function display in the cluster when its hot and I can live with that but something I noticed on the way home is it reset my trip time while driving home and the calculated mileage was off a good bit too.

When I filled up the display said 34.4mpg but math said 41.1 even though the 17" tires have the mileage off 1.5% so it really was above 41.1 by math, not that big of a deal I just remember my 09 was spot on every fillup... now on the way home it said the trip was 8hrs 40 min and we were in the car over 12hrs so im assuming it reset while driving.

do others have these same issues and for those that have did a cluster fix the issue or is the root cause somewhere else?

on a side note my cruise quit working this morning, haha. had to slow down before passing a rig on the way into work and after I passed I went to reset the cruise and it wouldn't engage, has the cruise light etc but doesn't work... always something with this car!
too hard to read...

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I take it you're talking about number 2 trip time and economy. Number 1 resets itself after every long (I think 20 min) stop.