CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

lovehandles18

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp/tech
Just Installed CP3...Nice!

Add me to the list!

I had VL Performance in Appleton WI do the work and the pump is a beast. I've burned about 1 full tank of diesel with the new pump and I'm getting better fuel mileage than I ever have before, which is weird as the temps here have dropped into the 40's/50's which usually decreases efficiency.

The tune seems a bit stronger as well (Malone stage 2). Just a little more pull through the gears.

Feels good knowing my car is prepped for the long haul after deciding to skip the buyback :)

voilsb

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Good news for people with the CP3 that want the fix. I got the fix yesterday and the dealer didn't say anything about the CP3 pump and not having an auxiliary pump. The adviser said they looked hard to find anything wrong with my car, but they couldn't find anything and said my car was in great shape. They were also amazed how clean my car was, considering it has over 153,000 miles. I'm a neat nut.

Of course that doesn't settle worries about warranty after the fact, but at least I'll have my check for the fix.
Good to know!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Coty from VL Performance is the guy who flashed my Malone stage 3 in. Glad to hear it's working well!

Add me to the list!
I had VL Performance in Appleton WI do the work and the pump is a beast. I've burned about 1 full tank of diesel with the new pump and I'm getting better fuel mileage than I ever have before, which is weird as the temps here have dropped into the 40's/50's which usually decreases efficiency.
The tune seems a bit stronger as well (Malone stage 2). Just a little more pull through the gears.
Feels good knowing my car is prepped for the long haul after deciding to skip the buyback :)

voilsb

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
For the record, it wasn't actually fixed. Ran through a lot of troubleshooting after this post and the problem kept coming back. Turns out the engine electrical harness was wedged behind the throttle body, worn through, and shorting out. Replaced the harness and zero problems for over 2,000 miles now.
FIXED! Andrew was immensely helpful!

Short version, the aux pump from the old HPFP shorted out, which blew the fuse controlling the lifter pump. Eventually fuel stopped getting to the engine, and she starved. Pulled the aux pump, cleared the air out of the fuel lines, and she runs like a charm!

Long version is posted at http://myturbodiesel.com/threads/troubleshooting-electrical-gremlins-in-fuel-lifter-system.30965/

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Glad you got everything sorted out! I bet you were a little mad when you discovered the harness short. Reminds me of a few times when I was trying to track down the cause of "intermittent" fault, lol.

Odyssey

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi cr
Hello. After installing the CP3, a rumble appeared in the area of the fuel hoses in the range of 1200-1900 rpm. Passat 2.0 CBAB The additional pump has been removed.

Odyssey

TDI
Passat 2.0 tdi cr
There are no errors. works smoothly. Rides well. noise from the hose fuel filter pump, pump-fuel filter.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I can't help with the rumble, but I wanted to let everyone know that I didn't have an issue with a warranty repair after the fix even though I have a CP3 pump. I got the P2015 code and VW provided a new manifold under the extended warranty after the fix.

Another note, my dealer didn't think the manifold was covered under the extended warranty, but they called VW and were told that yes it was! My dealer said they have over 200 pages of information about the warranty and sometimes it's hard to figure out what's covered. I guess it's best to always ask your dealer to check with VW if you think you have a repair that should be covered by the warranty!

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
Who is doing the CP3/HPFP fix? I'll be doing more research here but would appreciate the quick info. Is it various mechanics around the USA doing it? I'm in the Southeast but would drive a ways to get the job done. How much does it cost to have done? Are there TDIclub sources where quality referrals are made? Or, what shops are doing the best jobs?

I haven't had the NOX fix done yet on my 2011 Golf TDI, 6 speed manual, (presently 90k miles) but am thinking about doing the Gen 1 fix, getting the money and doing the HPFP upgrade with some of the money.
Am I correct in assuming for the 2011 Golf TDI the only fix available is the Gen 1? I need to do some homework on the VW website, I know.

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
So, as stated above I'm considering the 2micron CP3 kit. After its done is diesel additive still a necessity?
I'm a pretty sedate driver. Very much more interested in MPG. I'm happy with present level of torque/power. On the various Malone retunings - if a CP3 kit is installed are the Malone retunes necessary? Better MPG always welcome though.
Other than the potential CP3 improvement I prefer the car say as stock as possible.

Last edited:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
So, as stated above I'm considering the 2micron CP3 kit. After its done is diesel additive still a necessity?
I'm a pretty sedate driver. Very much more interested in MPG. I'm happy with present level of torque/power. On the various Malone retunings - if a CP3 kit is installed are the Malone retunes necessary? Better MPG always welcome though.
Other than the potential CP3 improvement I prefer the car say as stock as possible.
You don't need to use an additive with the CP3, it's even questionable with your current stock CP4.1. Most people use it for piece of mind. The CP3 is very robust, I still have never heard of a failure on one. Install it, and drive worry free...at least on the HPFP side.

Also, no tuning is required with the pump. But, once you do tune the car, you will no why you did :)

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
Cp3 hpfp

I have read this entire thread but still not sure where to get a CP3 HPFP.

I find these pumps online but I can't figure out how to tell if they are the CP3 or the older CP4.

Here is one:

http://www.tunemyeuro.com/vw-cr-tdi-high-pressure-fuel-pump-new-hpfp-bosch-03l130851a-03l130755a/

Here is one from partsgeek; https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2...njection_high_pressure_fuel_pump#immersedview

For me I want to get a CP3 HPFP in my rig asap, I may not even wait to get to 120,000. I would like to get VW to change it over to the CP3, it could save them some time and money.

My Jetta has over 90,000 miles on it and the check engine light is on throwing a code PO191. I just watched a Mechanic that studied out the VW extended Warranty on the HPFP and he said if you did not do the Miss Fueling guard upgrade, that VW will or may not honor the warranty. I have quit driving my car to a large extent because of the PO191 Code. I am trying to figure out how to fix it with out taking it to the dealer. Then not sure if I should ask my dealer to do the Miss Fueling guard upgrade?? Seems like that happened a long time back.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^I think the quotes below from a different thread could help you.

GDM got back to me with some updates -
they do have part of the pump kits in stock but it is something they will regularly keep on hand. So it looks like depsite what the site currently suggests that's always an option.

They also said that since 2micron is done making filter kits, they've brought those designs in house and will be releasing some updated versions, but the exact date is TBD.

At any rate this means the support is ongoing!

ValveCoverGasket

Veteran Member
TDI
colorado duramax, 1z vanagon, tdi touareg
i was just about to post that thread haha here is the link to the full thread

reach out to GDM and get the process started ,theyre really helpful and responsive. it shows as out of stock on their site but i think they can set you up...

that being said it sounds like 2micron stuff is NLA for the time being.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep. GDM took care of me and they do their jobs rather quickly when deleting my DPF and EGR and DSG/stage 2 Malone tune. All done within 2 hours. For CP3 I would say few hours more. The guys are truly pros at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
i have no luck locating a new CP3 pump with retrofit kit what so ever. andrew is not answering. i already have his 2micron pureflow kit installed. and GDM said they're out of stock.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I bet he's on vacation. He's always been fantastic about answering questions and returning messages.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Agree with turbobrick, make sure you email too..not private message here. He's always been super responsive!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

rabbit85

TDI
2.0 CR CFFB 140 hp
Hello. After installing the CP3, a rumble appeared in the area of the fuel hoses in the range of 1200-1900 rpm. Passat 2.0 CBAB The additional pump has been removed.
For those have a rumble inside the car after CP3 install, under 2000 rpm, the solution is to put the hose to the pump like this. After, i put an unisens valve to the return hose. I see that the car drive much smoothly, optimizing the pressure into the pump. It is important that every spiral don't touch each other, otherwise the rumble will not dissapear. See the rubber hoses.

https://imgur.com/a/lDxrQ81

https://imgur.com/a/ySVzmwI

Last edited:

mrorganic

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagon
Cp3 hpfp

For some of us, we are having no luck locating a new CP3 pump or a used one with retrofit kit what so ever. I live in eastern Washington state and have not been able to locate a place to buy one any place.

Thanks for letting us know about how to cure the rumble.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Ive been wanting to upgrade to CP3 for a while. Lucky for me, my post-fix extended warranty expires at 220k miles, which is when I was planning on doing my next t-belt. So this seems like a perfect time to do CP3 upgrade.

Is there any reason why I should NOT do it?
Has there been any long term issues arise in CR engines running the CP3?
I am not concerned with any warranty conflicts of any sort as there will be no warranty at the time of proposed install.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I did it! I'm no expert, but before dieselgate hit I was past the HPFP warranty and I went for it. And I don't regret it now. Even with a warranty, I don't think I'd keep a car after a failure like that. It just seems too likely that you couldn't really get out all of the debris. I think it would be more likely to happen again!

I'm keeping my car for as long as possible because it's a joy to drive and I rest easier knowing I have the better pump.

PS: CP3 installed on 11/8/2016 at 139,848 miles. Today is 9/7/2018 and I'm currently over 162,000 miles without any problems. So that's ~2-years and ~22,000 miles without a problem with the new pump.

Last edited:

adrian537

TDI
2014 vw jetta sportwagen tdi
can't find CP3 pump

still no luck finding a new CP3 pump with retrofit kit. none of the companies that used to sell them have them in stock now, its like the pumps completely disappeared off the market.

i still want the CP3 pump for peace of mind even thought VW gave me that extended warranty after i had the "fix" done in which the CP4 OEM pump is covered. i do have the 2micron pure flow kit installed for now.

one of my next mods will be the kermatdi cr170 turbo and i would think that upgrading to the CP3 pump would help a lot.

is it true that some owners that had the CP3 pump retrofit and needed the VW approved "fix" done were denied by VW because of the CP3 pump being installed? and that those owners were denied not only the "fix" option but also the trade-in option by VW?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, I had my 2011 JSW processed into buyback on July 6th with CP3 and no issues. They never popped the hood. Thank god. She was having failing DSG trans plus rear ended few months before. So she had to go, nearly 300k miles on her. I was hard on DSG.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Oops didn’t read carefully, over-exhausted this week. Hmm no idea on the fix with CP3 and such.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
still no luck finding a new CP3 pump with retrofit kit. none of the companies that used to sell them have them in stock now, its like the pumps completely disappeared off the market.

Did you try Rufre in Spain? Andrew referred me there about a year ago. I think it was a couple of weeks from initial enquiry until they had stock in.

"info at rufre dot com"