Another DIY Trailer Hitch Project

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Harder part is putting the lock pin in. You can have the chains hooks drop down but hard to have the hitch below the bumper. We put ours in the bumper split on the 05 jetta wagon and 09 jetta sport wagon. Did notch out the bottom some where it is harder to see to be able to reach up and under to pin it. The golf you don't have to go on your back to pin.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I have to keep reminding myself that you guys aren't the type to toss your toolbox on the roof without a care for the paint. :p

reciever sticks a couple inches past the bumper, it's a hitch, it looks at home on the back of a car/truck/motorcycle

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k

This was first attempt at milling out the L shape.
Resurrecting this thread.

Ookpic, how did you go about deciding/method where to make the cuts so it fit perfectly with the rail when the plate was bolted to the car?

Last edited:

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Resurrecting this thread.

Ookpic, how did you go about deciding/method where to make the cuts so it fit perfectly with the rail?

OMG! It wasn't easy and in the end I wound up opening up the "L" shape that was originally milled as pictured.

What I did was removed the shock absorber portion and bolted the bare plate back onto the car then I tried to trace the opening using a soapstone marker in the approx. the correct place to perfectly fit the angle steel. Unfortunately, there was binding issues and I opted to open up the "L" milling so that the angle iron fit into the rear rail horns first. Then I bolted the bumper plates to the car and tack welded it in place. Then removed and welded fully in place while on the car. Hope that helps!

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I didnt really consider the chains. I suppose chain holes on the drawbar isn't "legal" for safety reasons. I was thinking of the convenience to the bar holding the plate down and out of the way for easier hookup tho.
That's OK..cause most likely having the plate flipped up is illegal as well. Technically (In my state anyway) a plate can't be blocked from view (although, I see plenty of cars/SUV's/motorhomes with rear "basket" carriers that obscure the view of the plate so...?)

With that being said I really like the ingenuity behind all this...nice solid stealthy hitch. Nice work!!

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Awesome build.

Couple of questions.

How far can stock go inside those rail holes in vehicle? You used 12", is longer an advantage or unnecessary?

Also, I had the idea to use 3/8" or 1/4", thicker material, and just tap threads for the bolts instead of welding nuts. Would that be easier if you were to do it again, or still suggest welding nuts on the angle iron?

What I'm going to do is purchase the 2" Reese Eco hitch and just add stock to slide along frame rails.

Also if there's room I'm going to find some flat bar with holes and plug Weld the top/bottom and front/back to give it more strength for tongue weight and hitch push/pull stress acceleration/braking, if that all makes sense.

Good build. I'm just taking a different route, I'm not around my shop as much anymore so I'll spend some money to cut some corners.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I would use nuts. Otherwise your grade 8 bolts are only as strong as the threaded holes. And a nut will be thicker for so more threads. Part of the holding factor on this is also the shear effect once the angle is clamped to the car.

Can't go longer really- holes are designed for the bumper shocks and aren't much deeper then that.

Quick and dirty to cut the plate is torch it out. And if you have a welder just fill in the gaps. That plate doesn't do much for strength more to keep the salt out of the frame rail at this point. We all kept ours and that is how we did them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Oh nice.

I plan to nut mine so hard it'll never back out.

I was going to attack it both ways of strength with angle iron.

Glad to see alot of helpful advice how to tackle this.

Good info.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Oh nice.

I plan to nut mine so hard it'll never back out.

I was going to attack it both ways of strength with angle iron.

Glad to see alot of helpful advice how to tackle this.

Good info.

Sorry, but my dirty mind I almost spit my drink all over the keyboard.:D:D:D

Jason

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Do you still have the car? I’ll buy it just to get this tow hitch lol. I wish I have the equipment to make one. My fav tow hitch design.
Yup still have the car. Has just over 450k kms and just used the hitch the other day. Was the best mod I did to it. Not for sale currently. lol

You can however, if you have unlimited budget, get a westfalia hitch assembly shipped over from across the pond. It's virtually where I got the idea from.

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
Mine has about 460k. Where about in ON? I’m in Durham. Interested in making another one :D?
I don't have the resources anymore to make another one. I'm in London. If you can find a good welder, the actual pieces to purchase are pretty cheap. It was a good project but I had friends with milling machine and welding experience. It's really not that hard of a project but you need the right tools and friends. lol

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Any chance you have the dimensions of all the parts?......I may need to do this mod.....

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Lol somehow I didn’t see that 😳😳