TDIFest 2018 planning discussion

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
March 2016, and all along, the estimates were that the earliest deliveries would be late 2017.

The earliest deliveries were late 2017. It's a product in demand, the competition is still lackluster, and the reservation fee was relatively cheap.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Tesla still hasn't delivered them yet? Didn't they start taking reservations for it in like 2015? I don't know how they stay in business with a crowd funding business model like that.
We placed our reservation on day 1: March 31, 2016 and we could have had a rear-wheel-drive Model 3 a couple of months ago. Because we take lots of road trips, we decided to hold out for the all-wheel-drive version for better traction in bad weather (and more power... 4.5 seconds 0-60). We placed our order on June 27th and should have it by end of summer or early fall. :)

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
a tdifest at New Jersey Motorsport Park would be fun plenty of room and can have open track time for a 2018 tdifest or 2019

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
a tdifest at New Jersey Motorsport Park would be fun plenty of room and can have open track time for a 2018 tdifest or 2019
Unfortunately you're way to late to try to have a TDIFest in 2018, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for a 2019 TDIFest.

I know when I was apart of the group that organized the 2016 TDIFest it took us 8 months to plan everything out and that was after I was able to scout out a location for the TDIFest to be held way back in early October of 2015. You never know how early a place can book out for events, so your best to inquire asap if they would be up for holding an event on Labor Day weekend 2019.

Then comes the hard part...finding 5-6 people willing to help dedicate their free time to making the TDIFest happen.

Good luck and hopefully you can make it happen. :)

Extreme VW

TDI
mk7 GSW
Unfortunately you're way to late to try to have a TDIFest in 2018, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to start planning for a 2019 TDIFest.
I know when I was apart of the group that organized the 2016 TDIFest it took us 8 months to plan everything out and that was after I was able to scout out a location for the TDIFest to be held way back in early October of 2015. You never know how early a place can book out for events, so your best to inquire asap if they would be up for holding an event on Labor Day weekend 2019.
Then comes the hard part...finding 5-6 people willing to help dedicate their free time to making the TDIFest happen.
Good luck and hopefully you can make it happen. :)

Since this thread has been stirred back up... where is the best place to hold the event

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Since this thread has been stirred back up... where is the best place to hold the event
Usually a hotel that has room for +/- 125-130 people, ample parking space, the hotel would need a conference room, an area that has other activities to do (drag strip, track, scenic roads, museum, tour of something diesel related cummins, cat, etc), a place to have meals together, and I'm sure there are a few other things that would draw TDIClub members to a TDIFest that I can't think of...

Something that might ruin an event is having it in a location that is too hot. Like 85 degrees F or more would be tough, since most of the activities are usually held outside.

Extreme VW

TDI
mk7 GSW
Usually a hotel that has room for +/- 125-130 people, ample parking space, the hotel would need a conference room, an area that has other activities to do (drag strip, track, scenic roads, museum, tour of something diesel related cummins, cat, etc), a place to have meals together, and I'm sure there are a few other things that would draw TDIClub members to a TDIFest that I can't think of...
Something that might ruin an event is having it in a location that is too hot. Like 85 degrees F or more would be tough, since most of the activities are usually held outside.
85 degrees, so Florida is out of the question :p

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The 1st ever TDI Fest was held in Wilmington NC it was nasty Hot and Humid and hellacious storms nearly daily most since then were in the Northeast or Midwest with the exception of Utah and Oregon.....I think the Fest days are pretty much done.....

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Well here we are! another Labor Day spending the Weekend at Home instead of being with my TDI friends somewhere in this great country! So sad that it seems over....

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I've managed to keep with the annual wanderlust over Labor Day weekend, this year (like last) with the Mrs. and the dog.
You know... just to stay in practice.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm there!
If I can get enough help, like I did in 2016, then I'd really like to bring it to Sturgeon Bay again. :D

Loved Sturgeon Bay! I just do not do not see this happening..... Good Luck in your Endeavors!
Never say never. ;)

I'd go back just for the scenery and weather. Maybe by next year I'll have a TDI again too! :D
The scenery will still be here, but I make no promises about the weather. :p

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've managed to keep with the annual wanderlust over Labor Day weekend, this year (like last) with the Mrs. and the dog.
You know... just to stay in practice.
Jason, the dog and I took a 2,500 mile road trip to visit family in our Model 3 over Labor Day weekend. We had a great time and fuel economy was 130 MPGe for the trip.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
'97 Passat x2
Wow, you've got it, the Model 3...verrrry nice! I saw you do a SC review on Zack & Jesse's channel a while back. A Telsa is the next move for me, but unfortunately Rich Benoit drove all the copart auction prices crazy which is the only way I'd be able to touch one. Congrats!!

Chris_TDI_98

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9L mk3 1Z AHU
Is there a way to have this forum output a geographical or state/province list of members?!
I’d like to see a list of all members in my state and then message them and see who might be interested in helping organize a fest.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
We placed our reservation on day 1: March 31, 2016 and we could have had a rear-wheel-drive Model 3 a couple of months ago. Because we take lots of road trips, we decided to hold out for the all-wheel-drive version for better traction in bad weather (and more power... 4.5 seconds 0-60). We placed our order on June 27th and should have it by end of summer or early fall. :)
I'm glad you have that kind of patience. I know I sure don't. If it took me 2 years + to get a diesel I wanted, I'd settle for something less or do a different brand.

How many miles do you and Jason get with your Tesla before having to recharge? And does having the AC running all the time affect battery life, or not really?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wow, you've got it, the Model 3...verrrry nice! I saw you do a SC review on Zack & Jesse's channel a while back. A Telsa is the next move for me, but unfortunately Rich Benoit drove all the copart auction prices crazy which is the only way I'd be able to touch one. Congrats!!
We'll have it at Ho5G this year. Hopefully you can sneak away from work for a little while and check it out. That Supercharger review was on our trip up to Ho5G last year in a rented Model S 100D. It was cold!

I'm glad you have that kind of patience. I know I sure don't. If it took me 2 years + to get a diesel I wanted, I'd settle for something less or do a different brand.
How many miles do you and Jason get with your Tesla before having to recharge? And does having the AC running all the time affect battery life, or not really?
I suppose I need to start a Model 3: Ask Me Anything thread :)

Good things take time. The Model 3 took a lot of time and it's amazing... totally worth the wait. Fortunately, new buyers don't have to wait that long. Today, order times range from 4 weeks to 4 months, depending on configuration.

Full charge range is 310 miles of EPA rated range. On long trips, we settle into a pattern of charging for about 20 minutes every 2.5 hours after the initial stint of about 4 hours. Charging from 10% - 60% and continuing to the next stop is the quickest way to travel, compared to charging to higher levels and charging less often.

The air conditioning uses very little power. The heater uses about three times more, so winter range can be reduced by about a quarter in very cold weather, particularly on short shopping trips where the car is cold soaking several times per day. Our TDIs suffered similar drops in mileage in winter temps. Like the TDIs, the difference is much less on a long trip where the vehicle only has to warm up once.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
We'll have it at Ho5G this year. Hopefully you can sneak away from work for a little while and check it out. That Supercharger review was on our trip up to Ho5G last year in a rented Model S 100D. It was cold!

I suppose I need to start a Model 3: Ask Me Anything thread :)

Good things take time. The Model 3 took a lot of time and it's amazing... totally worth the wait. Fortunately, new buyers don't have to wait that long. Today, order times range from 4 weeks to 4 months, depending on configuration.

Full charge range is 310 miles of EPA rated range. On long trips, we settle into a pattern of charging for about 20 minutes every 2.5 hours after the initial stint of about 4 hours. Charging from 10% - 60% and continuing to the next stop is the quickest way to travel, compared to charging to higher levels and charging less often.

The air conditioning uses very little power. The heater uses about three times more, so winter range can be reduced by about a quarter in very cold weather, particularly on short shopping trips where the car is cold soaking several times per day. Our TDIs suffered similar drops in mileage in winter temps. Like the TDIs, the difference is much less on a long trip where the vehicle only has to warm up once.

If there is a HO5G......

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
... The heater uses about three times more, so winter range can be reduced by about a quarter in very cold weather, particularly on short shopping trips where the car is cold soaking several times per day.
I'm finding the Volt has a similar issue. What had been a 44~46 mile estimate in summer on a full charge is down to 36~38 with the near freezing temps now, and that's with minimal heat usage.
As it gets colder I'm sure the battery range will drop more than it already has.
I charge at home to end by 5 am. I hit the remote start to allow warm-up / de-frost while still plugged in to the 220 so the battery remains unused. I switch the heat off for the short duration 10 mile drive to work. I then have ample kw for the uphill climb back to home using only as much battery powered defrost as needed to minimize the chances of the 1.4 liter on-board generator activating.