2002 Golf Fuel Pump

Riker

TDI
2002 Golf
Hi, I'm new to this. I have a 2002 Golf that needs a new fuel pump, and I want to start running WVO through it. I have been told that the standard pump that's on there now can only handle about 5% WVO (B5, w/ the rest being regular diesel) Anyone know which pump I might need, or have any thoughts/comments/ suggestions? Thanks- Riker

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hi, I'm new to this. I have a 2002 Golf that needs a new fuel pump, and I want to start running WVO through it. I have been told that the standard pump that's on there now can only handle about 5% WVO (B5, w/ the rest being regular diesel) Anyone know which pump I might need, or have any thoughts/comments/ suggestions? Thanks- Riker
What are you talking about here? WVO? Biodiesel?

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I believe there is only one fuel pump that you can get for this car, the original manufacturer’s pump. There is an issue with some of the seals and biodiesel, which people replace with biodiesel resistant (viton?) seal. That is not an issue with WVO.

If anyone knows of an alternative pump, please tell us about it.

It is also possible that some cars (Canadian wagons, IIRC?) had an in tank lift pump? If your car is one of those rare ones, you may in fact have a seperate lift pump. In that case, you want to get something biodiesel compatible, if you plan to use biodiesel.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Riker, don't confuse Biodiesel (Bx) with WVO. Two completely different products. You can run any blend of Bio-D (B5 to B100) in your car without alteration, except perhaps replacing the seals with Viton as Phil mentioned. To run WVO, especially somewhere that gets cold like Denver, I would be much more concerned about how long it would run. Like Oilhammer mentioned in the other thread, the water in WVO can quickly cause a lot of rust damage. And you would need a really good fuel heating system to even think of using WVO in colder weather. I wouldn't even consider attempting it with a single tank system.

Riker

TDI
2002 Golf
From what I was told by the import mechanic down the street is that processed WVO is more viscous than normal fuel if you try to run it through a normal fuel pump, it will quickly leak all over the place. I also thought that the conversion kit for a 2002 Golf included a seperate tank and a toggle switch, the idea being that one starts their vehicle on normal diesel and then switches it over to WVO after about 15 minutes.

My understanding of converting a 2002 Golf to run on WVO is that it is a 3-part process: Buy/build/learn how to use a WVO processor, intstall a conversion kit (which heats up the WVO fuel line I think), install the higher-viscosity pump.

I didn't know that WVO and biodiesel were different. I'm getting different information from almost everyone I talk to, so any clarification would be super helpful. The viton seals info was awesome (thanks Phil and atc!) My Golf needs a new fuel pump anyway, so if I can just buy the normal one, that would be helpful, but they are expensive, so if anyone has done this conversion or knows someone who has, I'm all ears! thanks!

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Riker, I think you want to do a lot more research before making a decision. You want to be really sure you know what you are getting into.

Thre is no need to buy a special fuel pump for WVO; I don’t believe it is even possibe to buy a special one. You may also want to consider a different mechanic; thie one does not sound well versed in WVO, especially VW WVO. Are you mechanically inclined? I am hesitant to recommend WVO to anyone who is not comfortable with doing at least some of the work themselves.

As far as winter goes, WVO is no probem whatsoever. You are correct that the conversion kit heats the fuel, as well as the fuel lines and filter. I have seen far more problems in the winter with biodiesel than with WVO. As long as you switch back to diesel before shutting down, you will be fine no matter how cold it gets. I have run my cars in 30 below temperatures without a problem.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
If you haven’t already found these sites, there is some good information here. Realize they are both somewhat biased, especially the second as it is a business selling conversion kits. Still, a lot of good information. And feel free to ask any and all questions; I enjoy discussing it and have a lot of experience, including a 2002 Jetta. You will always get a lot of good info here on the tdiclub forum.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

https://www.greasecar.com

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
From what I was told by the import mechanic down the street is that processed WVO is more viscous than normal fuel if you try to run it through a normal fuel pump, it will quickly leak all over the place. I also thought that the conversion kit for a 2002 Golf included a seperate tank and a toggle switch, the idea being that one starts their vehicle on normal diesel and then switches it over to WVO after about 15 minutes.

My understanding of converting a 2002 Golf to run on WVO is that it is a 3-part process: Buy/build/learn how to use a WVO processor, intstall a conversion kit (which heats up the WVO fuel line I think), install the higher-viscosity pump.

I didn't know that WVO and biodiesel were different. I'm getting different information from almost everyone I talk to, so any clarification would be super helpful. The viton seals info was awesome (thanks Phil and atc!) My Golf needs a new fuel pump anyway, so if I can just buy the normal one, that would be helpful, but they are expensive, so if anyone has done this conversion or knows someone who has, I'm all ears! thanks!
Highlight section - I would hesitate to recommend WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil) to anyone who makes this statement.

WVO is a feed stock that can be refined to make Bio Diesel. Much the same way crude oil is refined into Diesel and gasoline.

Heating the WVO is part of the system you install so that the stock injection pump will work.

I would recommend, from some of the statements you have made, that you start off with some BioD. Drive the car while you research the WVO to death (philngrayce is a great person to ask) before making the plunge.

Jason

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A WVO Processor?

Are you talking about a processor to make biodiesel? There isn't a "processor" for WVO specifically as WVO generally only requires de-watering and filtering.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Stop what you are doing until you educate yourself. This isn't rocket science but you have a vast amount of knowledge to acquire before you even start doing this. It isn't something you can just jump into and be relatively successful without learning many things first. Many have failed in the past and ruined their cars. If you aren't able to work on your own car I wouldn't even attempt it. Many mechanics won't even touch one of these cars.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Also, keep in mind, if you are doing this to save money make sure you look at the cost of the kit and how many miles you plan to drive the car.

The cost of the kit and filtering system can buy a lot of diesel fuel.

If you plan to do it to help save the planet, then by all means.

DudaEnergy

TDI
2003 VW 1.9L
I run 100% Biodiesel and put a PD lift pump into my tank a few months ago to solve fueling issues with my performance vehicle. (I have an ALH) Does anyone have a list of what gaskets in that fuel sending assembly/pump need to be replaced? I don't want to run into problems down the road.

As to the post itself, I don't recommend WVO at all in these cars. Thick fuel is going to kill your injection pump and if you heat it, not good for the injection pump or the injectors. It'll work for a couple of years but you'll be surprised with a big repair bill at some point. Use biodiesel.