2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
That's awesome Fenwick.

74 MPH at 4000 RPM, that's 3rd gear.:confused:

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Bob_Fout said:
Why 3rd and not 4th? You might see higher numbers with 4th, no?
You'll see higher numbers in third than fourth. You're putting down a multiplied torque number in first, second and third, almost even in fourth, and a division of your torque in fifth.

If the HP# comes from your torque #, then a lower gear will give you an overly optimistic view of both.

That's why first gear becomes near unusable once you really start tuning- Too much torque, multiplied by too much.

Jon Linn

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle 160,000 miles
Ok, this may be a stupid question, but oh well. Where do I go to have a dyno performed on my car? I would like to join the dyno club.:D

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
johnnloki said:
You'll see higher numbers in third than fourth. You're putting down a multiplied torque number in first, second and third, almost even in fourth, and a division of your torque in fifth.
If the HP# comes from your torque #, then a lower gear will give you an overly optimistic view of both.
HP comes as a product (multiplication) of torque and rpm.
Double the torque at the wheel by a lower gear and the wheel rotation speed is cut in half. 1 x 1 is equal to 2 x .5, so power doesn't change. Go up a gear, reducing torque, but the wheel rpm increases by a compensating amount. 1 x 1 is equal to .75 x 1.33, so power still doesn't change.

The difference between a lower gear pull and a higher gear pull is the amount of time needed to run from low rpm to red-line. A higher gear will take more time and reduce the effect of the turbo lag. If it takes .5 seconds for the turbo to spool up and your engine rpm rises too fast, you'll be past the natural peak before the full boost has built.
But... take too long, as might happen in a higher gear ratio, and heat soak becomes an issue.
I've done back to back 3rd, 4th, 3rd pulls and the power (wheel torque factored with wheel speed) is within fractions of a percent regardless.

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
I suppose it depends on whether your dyno is determining the RPMs based upon engine RPMs or wheel rpms. You could definitely be right, however, especially when you factor in how many shops have trouble getting an accurate RPM reading off the engine.

Attempt #17 at PMing Jeff underway now.

Leo__

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 (C4) 2.5 TDi
Audi A6, 1997, 2.5 TDI (5cyl), AAT 85 Kw - stock
Chip, Nozzles, Turbo (+other small stuff):

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
This is old. from New England Dyno day last October. but I finally learned how to post pics. . so here you go

I need to dyno again, because now I have an 11mm pump installed.

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
Here is my dyno from yesterday. Pic is not the best. I'll change it when I get it scaned. Egts never got above 1350 and IAT never above 125. Nice bit of smoke at the begining, but cleaned up nice for the rest of the pull. Mods are in my signiture.

Last edited:

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
mojogoes said:
Tbirdtree!.......you may want to look into a fuel cooler now that you have the 11mm fitted.
Is that just a general statement or something about the dyno that tells you that? Educate me please :)

KROUT

persona non grata
Tbirdtree said:
Here is my dyno from yesterday. Pic is not the best. I'll change it when I get it scaned. Egts never got above 1350 and IAT never above 125. Nice bit of smoke at the begining, but cleaned up nice for the rest of the pull. Mods are in my signiture.
Are you running a stock tune or did I miss who tuned the ecu in your sig?

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D

This was today 4/11/09 with IBW!!

because of the DOWNPOUR rain, the DSG guys told us to add 10% to what the sheet shows (humid air).
Hard to see, but the sheet kisses 160 HP and 305 TQ.

If you allow 10%. . . . . .I got 176/335, that is what it "feels" like. my previous dyno was with a 10mm pump. 160/280

Last edited:

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
No clutch slip with that much torque on a VR6 clutch?

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Put the Boxer Diesel up on rollers today. This was a Dynomet 4x4 dyno, no brake applied. RPMs calibrated from wheelspeed only- but pretty close, calculated ratio within 0.03 of actual. Transmission losses calc'd on coastdown.
Bone Stock baseline on a 12k mile engine; absolutes not important.

calculated C-HP.

Compared to Subaru's published chart for the LegacyD