80,000 mile maintenance

ejg

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 4D 6M (totaled with 105k 4/17); 2012 JSW TDI 6M (purch 6/19, post-fix w/79k, non CPO)
After work tonight I did my 80k with the IDParts 40k kit. Just bought this 2012 JSW TDI 6M with 79,200 miles so a good time to baseline with the 80k service, at 80,500. Got the extractor for a topside oil change, a new experience for me and much easier. Got a diesel baptism when the fuel filter popped off the cover ;-0 so I really feel like part of the club now. The JSW came with new tires, pads and rotors and the engine air filter looked new so I put it back in and will save the new one that came in the kit. Haven’t sprung for the vcds yet, so I just filled the fuel filter housing with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge (from IDParts) and started the engine and let it idle for a bit. It started instantly, which it hasn’t done normally, so I’m thinking the injectors might benefit from the cleaning. Also bought a tube of pano roof lube from IDParts and will tackle that job when I have a bit more time. Have already had to clean and reconnect the rear pano drains as the spare well was half full of water after some heavy rain last week. Both drains were clogged at the bottom and the driver’s side tube was disconnected from the bottom piece. The driver’s side front has a leak at the top, too, so I’ll also dig into that soon. No issues with the roof or shade operation but I’ll clean & lube to keep it that way. Appreciate the forum - I joined with my prior 2010 Golf TDI 6M which got totaled 2 years ago with 105k, just broken in. Tried a new Honda Civic Hatchback but missed the TDI and manual gearbox so I’m happy to be back!

Last edited:

WiseBeauty

TDI
‘14 Jetta Sportwagen
So here’s an update:

We found out that a 40k service had never been done on this car but no issues were found regardless. Amazing lil machine this is... over 50k miles have been put on it since it’s 30k service and it’s still a beast!

Bonus: I now know what kind of fuel filter I need so I’ll be doing the DSG service myself next time. [emoji3117]

Can’t help but wonder if it really needs a DSG service every 40k [emoji848] but don’t wanna push it. Gonna do more research on that tho. [emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WiseBeauty

TDI
‘14 Jetta Sportwagen
WB: try not to not let curmdugeons like Mikey over there get to you. Diplomacy doesn't appear to be in his skills set ;) By and large, the folks here at Fred's are both helpful and knowledgeable.

On another note, congrats on making it to 80K. You probably know by now this isn't considered "high mileage" on these TDIs, so there's no special extra maintenance involved, only your regularly scheduled stuff.

I second the DSG flush. That's one thing I opt not to do myself because tranny (can you even say that anymore these days?) fluid stinks. I'd have one of the local gurus do that, as well as the TB when the time comes (you already know about jasonTDI) but I'd do everything else myself since it's very simple especially if you have a top-side vacuum extractor. It will save your back ;)

Enjoy your TDI and be safe.

Edit: there's really no reason for a "visual air bag" check. Unless you have codes set for air bag errors, don't worry about it.

Thank you! I’ll definitely keep this in mind the next time! I have gloves and a shower cap at the ready! [emoji6]

But I look forward to doing the service myself (with or without the hubby’s help [emoji23]).

WiseBeauty

TDI
‘14 Jetta Sportwagen
After work tonight I did my 80k with the IDParts 40k kit. Just bought this 2012 JSW TDI 6M with 79,200 miles so a good time to baseline with the 80k service, at 80,500. Got the extractor for a topside oil change, a new experience for me and much easier. Got a diesel baptism when the fuel filter popped off the cover ;-0 so I really feel like part of the club now. The JSW came with new tires, pads and rotors and the engine air filter looked new so I put it back in and will save the new one that came in the kit. Haven’t sprung for the vcds yet, so I just filled the fuel filter housing with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge (from IDParts) and started the engine and let it idle for a bit. It started instantly, which it hasn’t done normally, so I’m thinking the injectors might benefit from the cleaning. Also bought a tube of pano roof lube from IDParts and will tackle that job when I have a bit more time. Have already had to clean and reconnect the rear pano drains as the spare well was half full of water after some heavy rain last week. Both drains were clogged at the bottom and the driver’s side tube was disconnected from the bottom piece. The driver’s side front has a leak at the top, too, so I’ll also dig into that soon. No issues with the roof or shade operation but I’ll clean & lube to keep it that way. Appreciate the forum - I joined with my prior 2010 Golf TDI 6M which got totaled 2 years ago with 105k, just broken in. Tried a new Honda Civic Hatchback but missed the TDI and manual gearbox so I’m happy to be back!

Cool! I didn’t know they sold that stuff! Adding ‘em to the cart now!

If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take to do all of this? We don’t have a car lift at home but I was looking into getting some ramps. Hubby’s against it because, even being chocked and with the emergency brake locked, the car could roll. Any suggestions? Idk where the bays are in my town that we could rent but the hubby brought up a great point hence my taking it to the shop recently: with the hourly charge for renting the bay, we might as well take it to the shop because it could take us hours to do all of this. But I wanna get to know my car as much as possible because, with the way things are going, this car will be in the family for years to come.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Just because a service doesn't show up on VW's records doesn't necessarily mean It wasn't done. None of my tdi services would show up on their computer system because I never let the dealer touch my car after I drove it off the lot.

WiseBeauty

TDI
‘14 Jetta Sportwagen
Just because a service doesn't show up on VW's records doesn't necessarily mean It wasn't done. None of my tdi services would show up on their computer system because I never let the dealer touch my car after I drove it off the lot.

I’d agree with that because we always serviced our other cars ourselves in the past, but, for this car, every oil change and service up to the 30k was performed at a VW dealership in IL. The 30k service occurred at 39.5k miles and then the oil changes were done at 41k and then 54k. Then it was sold shortly thereafter. One reason we bought it was because the older lady who had the car only took it to VW dealerships for maintenance according to the sales guy (which is confirmed by the Carfax history but Carfax only shows what ppl/shops choose to report to it so that’s a toss up really). Odds are that she didn’t have the 40k maintenance done since it didn’t show up in the history, I reckon. [emoji2374] Still keeping [emoji1696]