Just purchased...2014 JSW TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hi...First post here…wanted to join the community.

Just got my grubby little mitts on a 2014 JSW TDI and couldn’t be happier with it. 42k miles CPO in platinum gray, 1 previous owner here in CA, with pano, navigation, and push button start. Also has tinted windows. [emoji41][emoji1690]

Carfax showed the 10, 20, and 30k mile services as having been done by VW but no record of the 40k, so I just completed that myself with the kit from idparts.com. Dealer replaced the brakes as they were worn. I also got new tires all round as the originals were still on it and made a horrible vibration at around 25 mph.

I have a motorcycle as a daily driver/commuter so the JSW will be for hiking trips, camping, taking my rottie/shepherd mix places, road trips, etc. I think it will be perfect for that. I wanted something that will last me for at least the next 10 years and be super practical for my lifestyle; this car fits the bill![emoji16]

Just one small issue…does anybody with a Galaxy phone (mine is S9+) have an issue staying connected to the JSW’s bluetooth? Mine will connect but as soon as I switch the engine off it disconnects and won’t reconnect automatically (I have to unpair and then re-pair)[emoji31]. At the moment I am just using an aux cord as it is faster. My daughter’s iphone stays connected no problem though, so I don’t believe it’s an issue with the car. Any ideas??

Anyway, glad to be along for the ride and learning more about this great wagon.*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Congrats in the purchase! :) thats my favorite color and too bad I couldn’t find one locally with DSG and solid roof so I ended up with white one with everything in exact same options from old 2011 to 2014 besides rear view camera.

Bluetooth on iOS never had an issue. Your phone is too “new” for the car maybe? As in not able to recognize your model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Congrats in the purchase! :) thats my favorite color and too bad I couldn’t find one locally with DSG and solid roof so I ended up with white one with everything in exact same options from old 2011 to 2014 besides rear view camera.

Bluetooth on iOS never had an issue. Your phone is too “new” for the car maybe? As in not able to recognize your model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yes I love the color too. The dealer I got it from seemed to have all colors available so I could take my pick.
You are probably right about my phone being too new...kinda sucks though. I guess when I am next able to upgrade my phone I should downgrade to an iPhone lol. [emoji2957]

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
Congrats! My '12 is your cars twin (well minus the backup camera) - Platinum Gray has always been my favorite since it came out on the MKIV.

I'll have to check in with my other half on the Galaxy issue. He has I think an S8 (the model before you could wirelessly charge other devices) and was having the same issues with his '11 - I think he had to make some setting changes within the phone to get it to work properly. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

**Edit - off topic ?**

I bought my '03 Golf TDI in CA and I have to say the registration taped up in the windshield is just obnoxious to remove, and I always wondered how does CHP and the local officers know whether or not you just stole a car from the dealer? Never thought of it back then but after moving back and living in Florida and Georgia for awhile where you are given an actual temporary tag # affixed to the dealer paper plate, presumably law enforcement is able to run it and see your temp registration details. If you get pulled over in CA do you have to cut the temp registration out of the sticker? Never made any sense to me once I got back over here and see that system has not been improved.

Last edited:

wagon92x

TDI
2014 JSW 6MT, Non-TDI: 2006 Saabaru Aero 5MT
Awesome car! I just picked up your twin! 2014 JSW w/ pano and 6MT. Mine had 47k miles, and I got it for $9,500 out the door (non-CPO). If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for yours?

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Congrats! My '12 is your cars twin (well minus the backup camera) - Platinum Gray has always been my favorite since it came out on the MKIV.

I'll have to check in with my other half on the Galaxy issue. He has I think an S8 (the model before you could wirelessly charge other devices) and was having the same issues with his '11 - I think he had to make some setting changes within the phone to get it to work properly. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

**Edit - off topic ?**

I bought my '03 Golf TDI in CA and I have to say the registration taped up in the windshield is just obnoxious to remove, and I always wondered how does CHP and the local officers know whether or not you just stole a car from the dealer? Never thought of it back then but after moving back and living in Florida and Georgia for awhile where you are given an actual temporary tag # affixed to the dealer paper plate, presumably law enforcement is able to run it and see your temp registration details. If you get pulled over in CA do you have to cut the temp registration out of the sticker? Never made any sense to me once I got back over here and see that system has not been improved.
Thanks. Any info you have on the galaxy would be good. I think I have tried everything but you never know.
Not sure about the temp registration...I guess the trick is to not get pulled over by CHP lol. Actually I received my registration paperwork from the dealer maybe 2 days after buying the car. So I guess I'm good. Just waiting for plates now.

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Awesome car! I just picked up your twin! 2014 JSW w/ pano and 6MT. Mine had 47k miles, and I got it for $9,500 out the door (non-CPO). If you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for yours?

Nice car! Almost a twin... mine has DSG tranny. Looks like you got a good deal there.
I paid almost 12,000 out the door...tax is high here. They had cheaper options but I was picky about the color/options I wanted and having the service history documented. So I'm pretty happy with what I paid.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
HandT, I'm sure you'll love your JSW and you'll probably find that it gets almost as good of fuel mileage as your bike. I have two road bikes and the JSW gets better mileage than one of them. But California sucks with the latest 20 cent per gallon tax on diesel.

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
HandT, I'm sure you'll love your JSW and you'll probably find that it gets almost as good of fuel mileage as your bike. I have two road bikes and the JSW gets better mileage than one of them. But California sucks with the latest 20 cent per gallon tax on diesel.
Loving it so far for sure. Yes, I have 2 bikes too and you are right, the JSW is on a par with my CBR1100XX mileage-wise...about 40mpg. I also have an Africa Twin that gets around 50mpg though so I don't think I'll beat that in the JSW. What bikes do you have?
The diesel prices near me don't seem too bad... I'm paying less per gallon than I do for regular gas. I'm a Brit though, so fuel seems cheap here period. [emoji106]

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a Honda Valkrie and an Indian Scout. The Scout gets around 50 MPG, but the Valkrie gets around 40 MPG. And we're paying around $4.19 per gallon up here for diesel which is quite a bit more than regular and a bit more than premium. But at least up here we have no congestion and some really good two lane twisty motorcycle type roads.

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a Honda Valkrie and an Indian Scout. The Scout gets around 50 MPG, but the Valkrie gets around 40 MPG. And we're paying around $4.19 per gallon up here for diesel which is quite a bit more than regular and a bit more than premium. But at least up here we have no congestion and some really good two lane twisty motorcycle type roads.
Nice bikes! I'm a Honda guy but Indians are cool too for sure. I'm definitely envious of your roads up there... some of my best biking memories are from Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia. I'm currently planning a bike trip around SoCal but I will be heading up your way before long hopefully.
I just today filled up the JSW at 3.84 per gallon..I think regular gas was 3.86 and premium 4.06...gotta be happy about that.
Keep it rubber side down [emoji106][emoji41]

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
I’m not sure what you guys are smoking here - paying $12,000 out the door for CPO with under 40,000 miles? All the ones I found at VW dealers were at least that much before all the extra fees, and with a similar amount of mileage. Were you guys negotiating aggressively with these dealers?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I’m not sure what you guys are smoking here - paying $12,000 out the door for CPO with under 40,000 miles? All the ones I found at VW dealers were at least that much before all the extra fees, and with a similar amount of mileage. Were you guys negotiating aggressively with these dealers?
Walnut Creek, Ca. Drito Bro VW Feb. 2019
Made offer over the phone of 10k out the door if it was what was described
2011 CPO red/tan 6M pano nav 17'' top packagr for 2011
new tires. brakes rotors, DPF, ex flap
I realize 69k isnt 40k but I couldnt pass worth every penny

No weed involved

Last edited:

BigBadThor

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Tornado Red Jetta Wagon GLS (sold); 2014 GSW Wolfsburg Edition CPO TDI
That's the best colour right there! Congratulations, I'm jealous.

Walnut Creek, Ca. Drito Bro VW Feb. 2019
Made offer over the phone of 10k out the door if it was what was described
2011 CPO red/tan 6M pano nav 17'' top packagr for 2011
new tires. brakes rotors, DPF, ex flap
I realize 69k isnt 40k but I couldnt pass worth every penny

No weed involved

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
That's the best colour right there! Congratulations, I'm jealous.
Thanks Im loving it. Got the windows tinted, works well with the light interior here in the hot central valley

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I always laugh when I see people here in the central valley buying dark colored cars with black interior. Yesterday it was 103 and today it's supposed to cool down to 101. But it's a dry heat, hahaha

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I always laugh when I see people here in the central valley buying dark colored cars with black interior. Yesterday it was 103 and today it's supposed to cool down to 101. But it's a dry heat, hahaha
Yup but after sooo many white exteriors I felt like it was time. I thought it might be abit gawdy but Ive owned my share of red cars and they are always my favorites.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't consider a red exterior to be a problem. It's the very deep blue, black, etc., exterior with black interior that people learn to hate in our summer months. Even my creme colored interior in a light colored JSW was uncomfortably hot when it sat in the sun for an hour today. I can't imagine what a very dark colored car with a black interior would have been like.