ahu or 1z engine

WelshAndy

Car = 1994 1.9 TDI on an audi. Anyone know of the values that I need to ckeck the MAF and diesel injection timing with VAG COM?I state AHU or 1Z because in the UK it is 1Z but the equivalent is AHU in the States.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi
We didn't get a TDI until 1996, in the Passat. The Passat had the 1Z engine for 1996 & 1997. In 1997 we got the Jetta 3 TDI with the AHU engine.

Check the engine number, it should indicate on the side of the engine exactly what one it is.

good luck
steve a

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
It should not matter for checking either of those values. MAF values should be the same. The chart in the Bentley service manual for checking injection timing is used for both the 1Z and AHU engines.

The differences were mainly internal on the engines.. I guess the AHU engine got stronger pistons (Shared design with the AFN 110HP engine) and the AHU supposedly has a slightly different injection pump.

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
I thought a main difference between the AHU and 1Z was the turbo. At least that is what I found out when I was asking the dealer about obtaining a new turbo. He said, after a certain year, the Garrett turbo was suplanted with a KKK unit.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Yeah. I forgot that obvious difference. The 1Z featured the Garrett GT-15, and the AHU had a KKK03 unit.

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
For one thing you need a Hexcom adapter from Ross-Tech. The other adapters will not work on a 94 Audi 80 or 100 TDI.

I have a Hexcom and attached it to two Audi 80 TDIs over the weekend.

I found that these ECUs are completely different to the VW ones. I was trying to enable the cruise control as I did previously on 96 Passat TDI and a similar age Golf. The Audi 80 TDI ECU simply wouldn't play ball.

I also cannot figure out how you read the numbers on this ECU to do a timing belt.

The group read function doesn't seem to work at all.

If anyone has a dealer proceedure fro doing atiming belt on an early Audi TDI then I'd love to see it.

WelshAndy

thanks christi. are you saying that you can't work at all with vag com regarding this engine?
I built myself an interface on sunday. vag com could not recognise an adapter.no surprise there for you

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
a home built adapter should be able to talk to the ABS controller (mine did) but not the engine ECU

the timing on the engine ECU is too tricky for software timing, the hexcom has hardware timing in it

once you do get into the engine ECU about all you seem to be able to do is read fault codes

WelshAndy

Christi, can you tell me more about your home made interface? how do you connect yours, baud rate etc. can you confirm which wire is which in the fuse box?