5 Speed Transmission issues

MedicJoe

TDI
2006 MkV Jetta 1.9 5 Speed
Hello all,

I just replaced my clutch in my 06 MKv and have come across some issues.
Install went great I used a single mass flywheel instead and everything torqued down well. I readjusted the shifter cables to the transmission and it finds all the gears well.
Problem is that when I'm in neutral and start letting off on the clutch the car wants to go forward. 1st gear is similar but there is a ton of resistance.
I used Pennzoil Synchromesh to replace fluid. First Clutch did well we are @ 230k miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have never had to adjust any shifter cables after a trans R&R, but it sounds to me like you have a lot of extra drive line drag through the transmission when in neutral.

Since there is no pilot bearing on that car, the only extra drag is from the fluid.

I only use an OEM type fluid (Motul, Pentosin, or similar) so that may be your only issue. Usually if it were that it would lessen once warm.

Some fluid drag is normal, but usually not enough to let the car move across level ground under its own power.

MedicJoe

TDI
Thanks for your thoughts, Car is impossible to drive. Even with high revving and barley letting the clutch out it stalls. Is there a fluid i can get from O'Reilly's or Auto Zone?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Clutch sounds like it is dragging.

Have you done a little driving to see if it needs to wear in?

Turn off the car and put in 1st. start car and take off. Drive car matching revs and allow the clutch to slip a little bit (not a lot!) and bed in.

If after a few miles of that, the car is still hard to get into gear, then the clutch is not releasing completely and will need to come out again.

Where'd you get the flywheel from? How does the clutch pedal feel?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Clutch sounds like it is dragging...........
He says it moves in neutral.
Must be internal.
Pennzoil Synchromesh is so thin that I have doubts that it is drag from the fluid.

Last edited:

MedicJoe

TDI
Thanks everyone for your input. Jetta cannot drive at all, she seems to shift into gears but 1st gear is just as difficult as 4th or 5th gear to start in.

Drained the fluid out and pulled my transmission. I wanting to rebuild it, Does anyone have any experience doing this? Everything else seems normal with car.

There was 1 broken brass circle piece than came out of passenger front drive shaft. Not the actual shaft but the piece that goes into the transmission and is secured with hex key.

I appreciate everyones time. :)