Straight pipe

trevdog24

TDI
06 Jetta 85 Jetta
I'm looking for recommendations on getting rid of my muffler and cat on 2006 jetta tdi. Wondering if everybody has taken to a specialty shop or if they've found a decent kit somewhere. Looked like MBRP had a good looking kit but rather spendy. Any suggestions everyone? I would prefer a kit I can put on myself in my own time. Whenever I find some free time. :rolleyes:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
A competent muffler shop should be able to do what you are looking for much cheaper, but the only power gain will be from a placebo effect. The price a full bolt on exhaust system with a downpipe is about as much money as a PD140 turbo upgrade. If you want to burn money, the latter would be the right choice since the real restriction is baby stock turbo, combine it with a tune and you'll have a peppy little car.

colobronco

TDI
2006 jetta tid
i put a 3" exhaust on mine. For a while i ran it with strait pipe. It was just a anoying drone sound at certain speeds. I now have just a cat and no muffler. much better and still sounds good, outside the car.
Not sure about a stock exhaust, what will happen.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I got rid of the exhaust system a while back from the muffler to the turbo. At the time I tuned the car to Malone stage II also. The buzzken lasted all of about a year, and eventually blew out in spectacular fashion under heavy acceleration right in the flex baffles. I don't think the new models have that waffle design, but are more like the flex wrap design of the Rawtek. I always thought the ridge design would be a problem, and I think the sudden release of pressure also blew out the turbo, but how can I prove that. After this I had a good excuse to upgrade the turbo and get the stage III. This time however I got the Rawtek 3". Real happy with the setup. It isn't really loud since I still have the stock muffler hanging on the back end, but there is no drone, or vibrational sounds coming from the exhaust. I should qualify this by saying I also bought new engine mounts, and a fluid dampener also. Before all of the modifications the second time, I did have a droning sound, and a vibrational annoyance sound. Not any more, the car is like a decent car now off the line, and the mileage went up as well. My only problem is with the synchros, but that is another story about the SBC stage II endurance clutch.

im no hero x

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Variant 5-spd
I just got myself an '05.5 BRM Jetta and was planning on going with Buzzken. I've had their turbo-back 2.5" exhaust on my mk4 Jetta wagon for about 2.5 years and it's been absolutely perfect and drone-free with 2 resonators.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Can you post a picture pls? I have always used the top quality flex with the outer weave, I have never used the ridge style. I think you have my downpipe confused with another one. Your other post says you purchase a 3" exhaust from Diesel Dubs and the flex blew out.

I got rid of the exhaust system a while back from the muffler to the turbo. At the time I tuned the car to Malone stage II also. The buzzken lasted all of about a year, and eventually blew out in spectacular fashion under heavy acceleration right in the flex baffles. I don't think the new models have that waffle design, but are more like the flex wrap design of the Rawtek. I always thought the ridge design would be a problem, and I think the sudden release of pressure also blew out the turbo, but how can I prove that. After this I had a good excuse to upgrade the turbo and get the stage III. This time however I got the Rawtek 3". Real happy with the setup. It isn't really loud since I still have the stock muffler hanging on the back end, but there is no drone, or vibrational sounds coming from the exhaust. I should qualify this by saying I also bought new engine mounts, and a fluid dampener also. Before all of the modifications the second time, I did have a droning sound, and a vibrational annoyance sound. Not any more, the car is like a decent car now off the line, and the mileage went up as well. My only problem is with the synchros, but that is another story about the SBC stage II endurance clutch.

Last edited: