Question (and a few observations) for the Passat mileage crowd.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That was my goal . . .
Yeah but you have to admit, hating on etruds is a lot of fun too! :D

We'll be traveling up to PEI in August, the wife wants to take the Alltrack for the storage space and the dog, I want to take the Passat and the 800 mile range and the high 40s MPG vs 30s.

I've pushed the Alltrack to about 420 miles on a tank, but the gearing is so low (2,2-2,300 RPM @70) any sort of speed above 70 really kills the MPG, where as 2,000 RPM is about 75 on the '15 Passat.

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Hey, quick question for the mileage crowd . . . on the 2013 Passat, might anyone know either the total fuel tank capacity, when filled to the neck, *or* how much is typically left when the range reports zero? Not planning to push that hard, but finally did a cross country alone (my wife is a mash and release driver . . . drops 10mpg thr second she gets behind the wheel) from Dallas to Ames, Iowa, straight up I35, Speed from 72 to 77 typically, AC running full (high 90's to 100 degrees most of the way), and pretty loaded. Hit low fuel at 730 miles, and completed the leg at 757.2, showing 50 miles more on range, giving about an 805 mile tank. (And too 17.19 to refill). As noted prior, in case I get caught, wondering what might be left. Oh, and that's 44.05 mpg calculated, and 45 as reported in the MFD . . . was hoping for better, but can't complain,considering.

- Tim
Hi Tim,
I regularly wait until my "range" shows 0 mi on my 2015 Passat SE manual, then fill up at the next convenient station. I typically fill it to the brim. If I fill right when it goes to zero range, I will typically be able to fill with ~17.8 gal or so. The tank is rated for 18.5 gal. I "assume" that the official capacity is the volume of the "tank" not including the filler tubing, but I don't know this. I have filled a max of 18.6 gal (see my fuelly in sig) and I have quite a few tanks where I added between 18.0 and 18.5. My sense is that the "tank" has a solid gallon reserve when it shows zero range, and that the 18.5 gal capacity does not include about 0.5 gal in the "filler neck". So...I feel I can comfortably drive 40 miles after I get the Zero range message, but I typically stop as soon as convenient when near the zero-range mark. I would be getting nervous @ 50 miles past zero.. BTW...I also get mid-to-high 40's on interstate with cruise set to 77 and trip speed averaging around 70. I find the mpg/speed penalty to be small on these cars, however when I find myself on long 2-lane highways with 55 mph limit and cruise set to ~62...I am blown away by indicated mileage....with calculated being in low 50's. I've had a few whole tanks with over 50 mpg calculated...with the computer optimistically showing high 50s.

So...to sum it up the tank is rated at 18.5 gal...on my car, when zero miles range is indicated, I can fill about 17.8, and I am very confident I have *at least* an extra gallon of fuel to spare.

Kind regards,

Joe

Minor edit: I add ~5-8 oz Diesel Kleen Silver before adding fuel each fill up...so...I actually have slightly *greater* tank capacity than indicated above...but...a cup of fuel (1/16 gal) is only worth about 2.5 miles, so it's not very significant...

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Joe! That's exactly what I was wanting to know, and figured that someone had an idea. And yes, I was reading over 50 MPG on the two lane for a while, but despite still being marked at 55, it was built for 65, and most do more like70, so didn't get to 'officially' break 50 on that leg :-( :-(

- Tim

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The official capacity of the Passat tank is 70 liters or 18.49 gallons.

If it is similar to my former Jetta it had a 55 liter or 14.52 gallon tank.
One time I made it into a filling station and the darn thing took 62.3 liters or 16.4 gallons. Which is 7 liters or 2 gallons more than the manual said it should hold. I think I made it in on fumes.

But I always fill until and to the very top of the filler neck.

I would like to know how people here on this board drive 80 Mph and get 55 or more Mpg???

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
My passat 2015 sel by the mfd shows for consumption 39.6 over 91 hours and 4600 miles, most of which are 10 miles or less in duration. Since it was new, and breaking in, I,m pleased so far. Anyone else have similar results?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My passat 2015 sel by the mfd shows for consumption 39.6 over 91 hours and 4600 miles, most of which are 10 miles or less in duration. Since it was new, and breaking in, I,m pleased so far. Anyone else have similar results?
Sorry, but the ONLY accurate way to figure out your mileage is to fill to the exact same level each and every time. Divide the distance traveled by the amount of fuel used. The MFD LIES !!!:rolleyes:

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
The official capacity of the Passat tank is 70 liters or 18.49 gallons.
If it is similar to my former Jetta it had a 55 liter or 14.52 gallon tank.
One time I made it into a filling station and the darn thing took 62.3 liters or 16.4 gallons. Which is 7 liters or 2 gallons more than the manual said it should hold. I think I made it in on fumes.
But I always fill until and to the very top of the filler neck.
I would like to know how people here on this board drive 80 Mph and get 55 or more Mpg???
Hi Jetta Pilot
1) I agree the 18.5 gal official capacity.

2) I have not been brave enough to push it as far as you did on your jetta. It's possible that the pump that delivered "16.4 gal" into your 14.5 gal tank had air in the lines or otherwise was mis-calibrated. However, I really don't know the limit...just the stated capacity, the fill at zero range, and my experience with fill volume on tanks I've run past "0 range". My contention is that (on my car), there is almost certainly at least a gallon remaining when the range goes to zero. But...I added I would be getting nervous much past 40 miles.

3) I can't get 55 or more MPG at 80 mph. I've gotten ~44 life of car. On long trips cruise at 77, I've gotten high 40's. On trips where the speed is held down, I've seen mileage in the low 50's. On typical around town tanks (stop lights, but not "stop/start" traffic), I will typically get low 40's. My fuelly account is real. Odometer miles have been entered at almost every fillup for life of car.

Example recent mileage from Fuelly: Trip in July from Raleigh NC to North WI.
Left home on 7/8ths of a tank:
1st Fillup (July 7, 862 mi, 18.5 gal, @ 46.6)
https://goo.gl/maps/VsJSUkc2dRm
This leg was all cruise @ 77 except for non-interstate bits in Ohio where limits are lower. I believe I had a head-wind on much of this leg. Average "car on" speed (MFD-1) for this leg was very close to 70 mph.

2nd fillup (July 14, 951 mi, 18.1 gal, 52.6 mpg)
https://goo.gl/maps/SUp3WiMUKuR2
This is my all time high tank. High because...speed limits are slow in N.WI, and on the Island where I spent the week, limits are 45 mph with no traffic, yielding exceptional mileage. Average speed for this leg was close to 60 mph.

3rd fillup (July 15, 836 mi, 16.4 gal, 51.0 mpg)
https://goo.gl/maps/vQrZ915UkST2
This stop yielded exceptional mileage, and had cruise set to 77 most of the time except for bits in OH...but, this one had a down-hill component and I may have had a West-East tail-wind. I had enough fuel to (just) make it home, but we were stopping anyway... Average speed for this leg was close to 70 mph.

I do not think I could get average speed for a trip this length up to 80 mph without setting cruise to 90-95...and I don't think I could do that without blue stopping me...which would lower my average speed! So...I don't have long-trip data with average speed of 80. This would be exceptionally hard to do as the time spent in on streets/parking lots NOT rolling at 80+ really kill the tank speed averages. I think my car would get high 40s if I could run a tank at 80 mph with engine already pre-warmed up, e.g. at Daytona speedway...but this type of scenario is so far from realistic, that it doesn't even matter. For my use, I get above 40 mpg day in, day out, without trying, other than trying not to use the brake, and I think that is exceptional for a car as comfortable as the Passat.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We just did a 400 mile round trip to Maine yesterday in the 2015, while i know the MFD lies its the best I have until I fill up, got about 50mpg on the way up doing 75-80mph avg speed 68mph, showed 51mpg on the way back with about half hour or stop and go traffic.

About 550 miles since fill up and about 250-280 DTE showing. The wife will commute with it this week and prob hit 650-700 before I fill it back up.

I still need to remove the misfueling device to really top it off.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Congratulations on the excellent MPG. There are several threads re: NMS tank capacity. IIRC, 18.5gal, but someone will correct me.
It's a bizarre, contorted tank shape, and the problem is getting the last 2 gallons in the tank. Veterans here advise a slightly uphill vehicle position (yes, it's counter-intuitive), as well as leaving the engine running (it's diesel, no fire risk). This seems to work for most. Of course, veterans also advise against challenging the fragile HPFP by running too low on fuel, as fuel temps increase. Also, of course, you don't want to run the tank dry.
The 2012s, maybe into 2013 production, the fuel gauge wouldn't ever show full, or if it did, would drop some as soon as the vehicle left the fuel station.
(Since I own 3 "e-turds", you might be interested to note: 2014 Avalon Hybrid, drove from Ft. Worth to Wash. DC, I30-I40-I81-I66, 75-80mph, fully loaded, through all the hills...2 tanks averaged 43mpg...and a whole lot less stink than your so-called "clean diesel." ...and careful: your diesel turd has significantly more stench than our E-turds:D;)!)
FYI, my 2012 and 2014 NMS Passat TDIs averaged 44-46mpg for the same route, same ambient temps...)

((I'm sure several are wondering why I continue lurking, after bailing on our VWs. I'm fascinated by the CR technology, and the industry's attempt to clean it up. Also, the Toyota Hybrid forums are BORING!!!!...no dramatic threads of any kind...and very little excitement. Weeks pass w/o any posts...)
I have a 2012 and when parked uphill with 0 range the MOST I have EVER put put in was 65 to 66 litres in it.more tipically it is 62 to 63 litres. As far as I can tell 0 range has probably 6-7 litres (1.5 usg) reserve built into it. Which would give me another 150km (if I dared)Drive more worry less! As far as I can tell the filler neck holds another 2 odd litres (1/2 gal).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
740GLE, don't know if you have already made it to PEI? But if you haven't here is a tip for you.
Take the ferry from Pictou, Nova Scotia to PEI, it's FREE. Then when you leave PEI take the Confederation Bridge. Only about $ 40.00 maybe a couple of bucks more for the carload. If you take the ferry back from PEI it'll cost you close to $ 100.00 since they charge for the car and each passenger including the driver.

Getting to/onto PEI is FREE, you pay getting off !!!!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Sorry, but the ONLY accurate way to figure out your mileage is to fill to the exact same level each and every time. Divide the distance traveled by the amount of fuel used. The MFD LIES !!!:rolleyes:
I agree with the last sentence; the MFD does, in fact lie about our mpg. But I fail to see how my average over all the fill-ups I've done (see Fuelly below) is any more or less accurate depending on when I decide to fill up, how full I get the tank, etc. I fill up the car, snag the pump ticket, write the mileage on the ticket, then at some point (usually every 6 months or so) I enter that data into Fuelly. So it's always miles divided by gallons, therefore why does it make any difference whether the tank is brim-full or not? Our mpg over 60K miles is about 42, which is also in line with the fleet average in Fuelly.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
740GLE, don't know if you have already made it to PEI? But if you haven't here is a tip for you.
Take the ferry from Pictou, Nova Scotia to PEI, it's FREE. Then when you leave PEI take the Confederation Bridge. Only about $ 40.00 maybe a couple of bucks more for the carload. If you take the ferry back from PEI it'll cost you close to $ 100.00 since they charge for the car and each passenger including the driver.

Getting to/onto PEI is FREE, you pay getting off !!!!

While I'd love to take the ferry, we'll be coming from Mocton/St John and staying near North Rustico, so it'd take another couple hours to drive down to the ferry and then back up.

Seeing were doing the trip in one day we'll be trying to keep it to a minimum, leaving the house around 4am expected arrival time hopefully by 2-3ish depending on stops.

Still debating if we'll go thru Houlton or via Rt 9 Airline and Down East Maine, we haven't been north of Orono in ages and the idea of setting the cruise at 85-90 on I95 does sound like fun. We took Rt 9 last time and loved the scenery.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yeah but you have to admit, hating on etruds is a lot of fun too! :D
Annoying update on my half-eturd (2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid, straight-up purchase with the 2014 NMS Passat buyback money)

Just put 5500 miles on the car, FW-DC, 2200 of the miles up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains in Wintergreen (in residence at the Wintergreen Music Festival). 36.9mpg. NMS Passat last summer, similar trip, ambient temps, 40.1mpg. (return trip from Wintergreen, 1400miles, 43.1mpg)

However, with the half-eturd Avalon, I have LED headlights that show me the killer deer BEFORE they hit my bumper, auto-dim hi-beams, rain-sensing wipers that WORK, Homelink that works, ventilated seats, super quiet cabin, etc. etc, everything you'd expect from a $45k retail car!

I no longer miss my TDIs, except for being on the outside of the TDIClub fraternity.

ZootsAlures

Veteran Member
TDI
2012Passat SE TDI
I had my eye on VW's 2015 Cross X Concept with hybrid diesel. That was my version of what I had wanted- back then. VW was estimating between 74-79mpg for this crossover. DieselGate ruined that fantasy

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I had my eye on VW's 2015 Cross X Concept with hybrid diesel. That was my version of what I had wanted- back then. VW was estimating between 74-79mpg for this crossover. DieselGate ruined that fantasy
74 - 79 MPG was a fantasy to begin with. Maybe possible in the NEDC test cycle, but certainly not in the US EPA cycle or in real world driving.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
This is with a DSG, did not exceed 70 mph on I-80. Also of interest - I found the two cheapest stations with diesel on LI which were less than stations in NJ and PA! To be fair, most LI stations with diesel cost more than NJ but Ohio was still the lowest in the states I traveled through.
Interesting. I've found that in my trips from Charlotte to South Bend, Ohio has some of the more expensive diesel. Maybe it's a south and central Ohio thing. Or maybe it's just that KY and TN are that much cheaper. Indiana is usually the highest out of the 6 states I go through.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was looking forward to that vehicle too but thought a more realistic mileage was going to come in 45-50. Still great for a seven passenger SUV.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Interesting. I've found that in my trips from Charlotte to South Bend, Ohio has some of the more expensive diesel. Maybe it's a south and central Ohio thing. Or maybe it's just that KY and TN are that much cheaper. Indiana is usually the highest out of the 6 states I go through.
The problem with Indiana is that most stations show the exempt (truck) price on the sign which does not include tax. This July the tax also went up by 10 cents for both diesel and gas. So one has to mentally add 28 cents per gallon to a posted price for diesel to know the true cost. Have to look for the 'Exempt' which is usually in small print near the price.

That said, a few stations do list the actual price - Meijer's is one. I paid $2.65 this morning (sign was same as pump price) there while Speedway just down the road was showing $2.66 exempt which is actually $2.94 per gallon.

As for Ohio on my trips east I find the Youngstown/Girard area to consistently be cheaper than the rest of northern Ohio. It 's to the point now if I head east on I-80 Girard, OH is the place to refuel for the last several years. Southeast of Columbus in the Logan area along US 33 is also good for diesel prices.

Was out in Tennessee recently as well. Most of KY/TN was priced about same as Indiana. Only a few stations were less. I'm sure it depends on where in the state one is as your route probably differs from mine.

Before I go on a trip I check GasBuddy for prices and find certain areas/stations are consistently cheaper. Just have to remember where they are and factor your refueling in to save some coin.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have similar experiences every fall when I drive from Detroit to Laredo.
Michigan and Ohio are the most expensive for Diesel. It drops in KY and TN and even more in Arkansas. Then eventually Texas is the lowest price.

And then the reverse in the spring on my return trip.

I am not a speed demon. I still would like to know how these people drive 80 Mph and get over US 50 Mpg ????? My mileage is in Imperial gallons which is 20% larger than US.

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I just did MI to TX, and found (as is typically the case) that MO was the cheapest . . . lower fuel taxes there. TX is good, though, but I typically find OK a bit cheaper at times as well.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I am not a speed demon. I still would like to know how these people drive 80 Mph and get over US 50 Mpg ????? .
The short answer is they don't, at least not with a stock or mildly tuned commonrail TDI.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you're behind fast moving traffic that has slightly varying speed, you're basically using pulse and glide methods if you can keep your eye far enough down the road. You can get close to 50MPG.

In the alltrack we averaged 37MPG down and back over 150 miles to MA, while the cruised wasn't pegged at 80 the entire time, we did keep up with traffic with a moderate distance for coasting when traffic slowed from 80 to 70.

We did use the Alltrack to head up to PEI last week, cruise was set at 80-83 MPH 70% of the time. We averaged 32MPG on the MFI, which may be optimistic, this was over 1800 miles. The average speed of the MFI was 70MPH which was impressive.

Side note, anyone heading up skip going via houlton and 95, go Rt 9 Airline, its the maine/eastcoast autobahn. Tons of truck passing lanes to waste the slow pokes, speed limit is 55 but we averaged highway speeds if not faster over the rolling hills easy 70-75 mph, didn't feel to scary on a double lane road either.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did a quick check and since I had the Phase 1 (Software) done on June 19th my mileage has not changed, unless you want to quibble over a very minor per mile difference.
I fill my tank until not one more drop can be put in !!!!

My mileage before (NOT MFD) taken over a 12 month converted to US gallons is 40.6.

Since June 19th Mpg is 40.04 (Almost 3 months)
Imp gal. is 50.05 now vs 50.7 before the software update..

I do not do jackrabbit starts and wherever I drive whether in Canada, the USA or Mexico I go maybe 18 Kph, 10 Mph over the speed limit with the
exception of a toll-road in Texas where the speed limit is 85 Mph. There the legal speed limit is fast enough for me.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

I am not a speed demon. I still would like to know how these people drive 80 Mph and get over US 50 Mpg ????? My mileage is in Imperial gallons which is 20% larger than US.
Since I'm not one to chase higher mileages, I just go by what Fuelly gives for the average.....and our mileage over about 63K miles is smack in the middle. Averages don't lie.
We drive 75mph on the Interstate, 10 over on state highways, and at the posted limit in town.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got a 770 mile take on the '15 Passat over the past week and a half, hand calculated at 46MPG, MFD had many trips of 48-52 shown on the MDF. This was the first tank with the stage 2 tune.