Question regarding EGR cooler after DPF/EGR delete

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the EGR cooler on a 2009 Jetta.

After removing the DPF and EGR. is it necessary to block the ports at the cooler and the pipe the connects to the EGR?

My guess is that since the EGR canister fed the EGR cooler, that there should not be any gasses flowing. othat that for keeping dirt out is there any other flow at the cooler?

Anyone has a flow diagram of how this system works?

I'm also thinking that the pipe by the EGR if left dangling there is subject to a lot of vibration. it might be a good idea to tie wrap it to the race pipe.

How difficult is it to remove the cooler itself?

Thanks In advance.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
There are two distinct EGR systems on your car - low pressure and high pressure. They share no common flow path after the turbo.

The low pressure side is the one fed by the EGR filter > EGR cooler > compressor inlet side of the turbo. That needs a block off plate to prevent sucking dirt into the turbo compressor after the EGR filter is removed like all the commonly available delete pipes do.

The high pressure side is deleted via the software. Hardware delete is optional. The pipe feeding the EGR valve is fed directly off the end of the turbo manifold. It can be removed but you must block the turbo manifold port with a blanking plate. The EGR valve can either be deleted with a race pipe or just blocked with a blanking plate. But again, these hardware deletes are optional when you DPF delete.

Removing the cooler is easy once the DPF is out of the way. Just remove the turbo drain/brace and it comes right out. You will have to plug the hole in the turbo compressor housing though. A properly sized rubber expansion plug works fine.

Last edited:

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
This makes a lot of sense, thanks for taking the time to reply. The down pipe came with the plug you speak of. But should there be a plastic elbow for the coolant lines? The EGR cooler deletes I have seen come with this elbow.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yes, if you want to physically remove the cooler. Alternatively, you can just leave the cooler in place but non functional.

UFO (under fueled oiler)

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Volkswagen Jetta tdi manual transmission
The only reason to leave the egr cooler in is if you don't want to take the time and do the work to remove it. Its nothing but dead weight. Also you have the chance of it cracking and sucking water into the engine. I run my 2011 jetta many miles with the cooler just blocked off. Pulled it out when I did my turbo swap. Toward the last before I pulled the egr cooler I'd have white smoke out the exhaust until the engine warmed up just a little. It could have come from a small leak in my egr cooler letting just enough water into my engine that it would cool the flame therefore the white smoke. I never inspected the cooler to see if I could find any leaks. Never smoked on start up since.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
I left my cooler in place this weekend simply because I wasn't sure how to remove the turbo drain tube. I don't have access to the internet on weekends and I sure didn't want to take a chance on messing something up. Is there any trick to removing it?