2011 Jetta TDI Clunk when shifting above 4500 RPM

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have a 2011 Jetta TDI 6 speed ( 5500 miles ) that has a pretty loud clunk when I shift above 4500 RPM. I kinda baby it though so I think its only happened twice.

I suspect it may be because the engine mounts may be flexing enough on those hard shifts ( chirps the tires ) to cause part of the engine to bump the firewall. Pure speculation though.

Anyway has anyone else has this issue with the 2011? Any idea what it could be?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
kinda baby it...but your redline shifting a diesel?...you realize that after 4300 there is nothing there its pointless.

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Well with no shift light both eyes are either on the road or on the tach and it can get away from you from time to time wouldnt you agree? 4 4500 usually is the target for me to shift and yes I kinda baby it as this engine has only seen that RPM range twice despite it being fully able to handle it.

If you re-read the post I did not say that I red-lined it.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Strive for smooth, not herky jerky. Smooth is fast, smooth lasts a long, long time. Pretend you have Miss Daisy in the back seat but she needs to get to the hairdresser in a hurry. Now try to get her there fast without making her spill her Mint Julep.

Bill

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
If its only seen 4000 rpm twice then your not babying it your killing it....these cars need to see 4000 rpm up hills or long straights in higher gears IE 3rd or 4th not 1st second. Keeps the egr and engine cleaner and running better.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
There's nothing wrong with hitting 4500 RPMs at 5500 miles... Taking the car to redline is in the 'proper' break-in techniques as well at his phase of the game.

I would question whether it's a motor mount or not... As said the majority of the power is below 4300 RPMs, which means if it were going to do it, it should be doing it when there's power / stress being put on the motor mounts, and not when it's out of the powerband.

Personally I'd either try to replicate the problem inside the powerband so you know it's not an RPM specific issue, or I would take it to the dealership and let them figure it out. You're still in warranty, you might as well use it. If it IS an RPM specific issue, it may be in the transmission... You don't say whether you have a Manual transmission or the DSG (also a 6-speed), which is it?

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I have a feeling the OP has a manual.

I also think that trying to diagnose a sound over a forum is next to impossible. I know that we all want to know what's going on with our cars when they make a clunk or other sound, but sometimes these are hard to figure out.

That being said - I doubt the engine is hitting the firewall. I am not sure which way the engine torques when under power with our TDI's but I don't think it slamming back enough to hit the firewall (if the engine torques forwards under acceleration) and if the engine torques rearward when you let off it would move forward (it would also gradually move rearward under acceleration ad not just slam into firewall).

I have experienced a few clunks with my car in hard acceleration shifting between first and second gear. Hasn't happened much, and I chalked it up to wheel spin and the right tire (thought it was coming from right side) spun just for a split second on something. That's how it felt. I think one time I happened to shift hard on a steel plate, tried to hold of until after but it caught the last few inches of it - causing a wheel to spin freely just for a bit before getting slammed by the pavement - wasn't too nice to the CV joints and trans.

I like what JaredC01 said about the sound happening when engine is under stress and not just at a specific RPM. Once the engine is making all the torque it can it would make sense the sound would happen when shifting at 3500RPM - as long as you were requesting the same kind of power. The clunk happening when shifting quickly at 4500RPM suggests to me more of a wheel spin or slight wheel hop (so to speak) when grabbing second gear hard. All of a sudden a ton of torque is thrown at the wheels (once shifted to 2nd) and something has to give - at least it's the tire on the pavement.

Like the OP said, first gear is very short and the engine can wind through it pretty good. I really like 2nd and 3rd gears for hard acceleration. Gives a pretty good whoosh! :)

(I hope I explained my reasoning ok)

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
All good info. Thanks guys.

I've read the breakin procedure that was posted somewhere here about a week into ownership and have been trying to follow it to the letter. I know that it suggests getting the revs up toward redline now and then to seat the rings but its tough to bring myself to it :) Love this car.

That said I think that I'll taken in to have it looked at and keep the higher rev shifts for 2nd 3rd and 4th. It certainly is no drag car. I agree 40x40, smooth defitley is the best policy for longevity.

On a side note...This is my first diesel and I didnt know I was such a torque junky. In a past lifetime I was all about the rotary ( wankel ). Had 5 rx7's. Its weird how the diesel is falling on its face right when the rotary is just starting to breath right. I used to shift my modified rx7 at 9000 rpm which incidentally was where the stick tach stopped. I'd never go back though. Diesel is definitely superior for a daily driver. That and that little 1.3 liter rotary burned as much gas as my 400cid powered 76 monte carlo!

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Well with no shift light both eyes are either on the road or on the tach and it can get away from you from time to time wouldnt you agree? 4 4500 usually is the target for me to shift and yes I kinda baby it as this engine has only seen that RPM range twice despite it being fully able to handle it.

If you re-read the post I did not say that I red-lined it.
You don't notice the major drop off in power above ~4000? It's like throwing out a sea anchor. No need to look at a tach or shift light to know when to shift for max performance. :rolleyes: :D As previously stated, no performance gain at those RPM's, especially in 1st/2nd gear..

BTW, Welcome to Fred's place. :D

Last edited: