Seventh-generation VW Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
"It'll never be available in NA." Well it will be if enough of us get together and DEMAND it. With the fuel prices on the upswing once again it may just happen. Unless fuel prices drop once again. And the average Joe and Jane Amerikan once again lust over the multi tone 10 mpg suv.

gootie

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,05,white TIP
Golf Gen7

I will not buy another VW unless they can see the light and include more Euro content(Xenons,washers,led tails,adjustible suspension,etc)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I will not buy another VW unless they can see the light and include more Euro content(Xenons,washers,led tails,adjustible suspension,etc)
I had LED tails on my previous Passat wagon and I hated them. In winter, in a snow storm, they get coated with snow and ice and become almost invisible. With incandescent tails, the heat generated by the bulb is enough to melt off the snow and ice and make the lights visible.

I solved the problem by installing a euro rear fog light, which uses an incandescent bulb, so I could at least be seen.

I agree on the other goodies, they should at least be on offer but at least for the Golf, in the US xenon lights are available; we can't get them in Canada except on the GTI.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
eh, it's not like we can't get the fun bits.. just takes a little more effort and some $ in shipping. Not a huge deal if you were already planning to spend the extra $ for those options to begin with..

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...sletters&uid=267345f3388adddc6333e6db2d918802

You're in - News: Auto Express News
New VW Golf interior spied
We take a peak inside the Golf Mk VII to reveal a brand new interior layout.

Text: Christofer Lloyd / Photos: Automedia26th April 2011
We've got the inside line on the new Golf! A test mule of the seventh generation car, due in 2013, has been spotted by our eagle eyed spy photographers. And while the exterior was identical to the current car, a look through the windows gives an indication of what the new interior will look like.

The new instrument panel features a large speedometer and rev counter, which also house the fuel and engine temperature gauges in 360-degree readouts. Fuel and temperature levels will be displayed through a string of LED lights, continuing the circular theme. This design frees space for a large trip computer screen between the two main dials.

This instrument panel should be shared between the upcoming seventh generation Golf hatchback, estate, cabrio and Golf Plus. A sporty new four door coupe is also in the pipeline, previewed by the Compact Coupe shown at the Detroit show last year.

Ulrich Hackenburg, VW's chief of development, has previously explained that a new chassis for the Golf will allow engineers to design and utilise a new range of drivetrains, hinting at hybrid and alternative fuel models for the future.

These eco-models will likely utilise technology that VW debuted in its Twin Drive Golf Concept. Powered by a 2.0-litre, 122hp turbodiesel coupled with an 82hp electric motor, the concept car has a combined output of 174hp and is able to travel 30 miles on battery power alone.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...67345f3388adddc6333e6db2d918802#ixzz1KpMdp1FF

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Ok so why didn't autoexpress buy pics of the outside. Those shots are typical early engineering prototypes. Materials are not finalized etc.

BeetleGo

TDI
Very good LR. You win. I don't think anything's final until it's on the showroom floor. Case in point, the newest Beetle's rear tail lights! They were round. This is just the latest, presumably nearest rendition. As time goes on, more and more gets locked in.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
http://translogic.aolautos.com/

at 3:27 you can see the taillights on the new new beetle. Rounds on the edges and clinging to the trunk line on the inside. First part of the video talks about the Bulli and then the new passat.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I had LED tails on my previous Passat wagon and I hated them. In winter, in a snow storm, they get coated with snow and ice and become almost invisible. With incandescent tails, the heat generated by the bulb is enough to melt off the snow and ice and make the lights visible.

I solved the problem by installing a euro rear fog light, which uses an incandescent bulb, so I could at least be seen.

I agree on the other goodies, they should at least be on offer but at least for the Golf, in the US xenon lights are available; we can't get them in Canada except on the GTI.

Just clean them off. DeeX3

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just clean them off. DeeX3
DC isn't Quebec nor WI when it comes to snow sticking to them. BIG trouble with street lights here as well. Oh, and getting out every 10 min? not an option. :rolleyes:

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
DC isn't Quebec nor WI when it comes to snow sticking to them. BIG trouble with street lights here as well. Oh, and getting out every 10 min? not an option. :rolleyes:

Oh please. Haven't you heard a word Albert Gore Jr or Barry or even Hillary Rodam Clinton have said (she went to Greenland last week because of this) It is virtual tropical paradise in Quebec and WI.:p

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Wow, common position engine/transmission mount points across all engine variants....engine swappers will rejoice!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
IIRC the big deal with that was bringing the 82 mm bore spacing engines (EA211, now) in line with the others - they were previously canted forward, due to their origins in the Polo family.

Apparently EA888 (the current 88 mm bore spacing, timing chain equipped 4-cylinder gasser family) is technically being replaced by EA288 as well, but I'm not sure what the actual differences between an EA888 gasser and an EA288 gasser are - apparently EA288 is going to be heavily based on EA888, though?

Also, now I can't refer to the Mk4+ TDIs as EA113, now that I know that Mk4+ VE/PDs are EA188, and CRs are EA189...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The description in that article of the technical features on EA288 are very similar to those described on the new EA888 engine. One major difference is that EA888 goes to timing chain while EA288 remains with timing belt.

One wonders and hopes that the new Jetta hybrid will be coming with the EA288 1.4 with cylinder de-activation ...

Looks like the diesels are getting a redesign, too.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
"Having a positive effect on acoustic comfort are the toothed belt drive of the oil and vacuum pumps operating in the oil sump"

Oil-immersed belt?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Hmm, I missed that.

That actually sounds like they're going to something resembling the EA827 design, but instead of a chain driving the intermediate shaft, having a belt doing it.

The Jetta Hybrid shown at the Detroit Auto Show was running an EA111 engine, IIRC. EA211 is what would replace it, not EA288.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Excellent link, thanks!

So did I read the new EA288 will have 82mm bore spacing while still offering a 2.0L displacement? That seems really strange, must be a siamesed cylinder bore arrangement like some Hondas... and that means, like those Hondas, the engines will be very fragile and have zero tolerance for any overheating whatsoever.

BeetleGo

TDI
I just saw this in Auto Blog...

New VW MQB unveiled

Volkswagen reveals the new platform that will form the basis of the next Golf
and Audi A3

By Sam Hardy01st February 2012
This is the new VW Golf – and the new Audi A3 and new Skoda Octavia. In fact, this chassis will pretty much underpin the majority of VW Group models, from Polo-sized superminis to those as big as the next Passat.

Called MQB, the new platform represents much more than a chassis that can be adapted for use in a wide variety of models. VW calls it "the backbone of light and safe cars" as it also encapsulates new lightweight drivetrains, hi-tech safety equipment and even iPad-style infotainment systems.

It moves the game on from simply offering a chassis that can be stretched or shortened to fit different cars, to one that shares its electrical wiring, engines, transmissions, air-conditioning systems, seat backs and infotainment systems. It even includes the factories the cars will be built in – for the first time allowing VW, Audi and Skoda models to be built on the same production line.

But the most important car of the lot is the new Golf. And the Mk7 will represent a huge leap forward. Thanks to hot formed steel that's six-times stronger than conventional steel, more aluminium in the suspension, together with lightweight air-con, it will weigh up to 60kg less than the Mk6. VW says it will weigh as much as the Mk4.

Under the bonnet will be a range of new engines, all of which will have the same angle of tilt – whether petrol or diesel – in the engine bay. This will speed up the production line and allow the same transmissions to be used throughout. In fact, engine and gearbox variants have been reduced by 88 per cent.

The petrol line-up consists of a new 1.2 TSI turbo four-cylinder with 84bhp or 104bhp, and a 1.4 TSI with 120bhp or 138bhp. The latter has already appeared in the Audi A1 Sportback, and features cylinder deactivation, so it can run on two cylinders under a light throttle, saving fuel. Thanks to lightweight aluminium, the engine weighs 16kg less than the 1.4 TSi in the current Golf.

The new Golf will also be available as a hybrid, with the 1.4 TSI boosted by a 20kW electric motor. It produces 145bhp and 250Nm of torque. This will also be available as a plug-in hybrid, this time with an 80kW electric motor. This can return up to 141mpg and emit less than 46g/km of CO2.

As for diesels, there will be a new line-up of 1.6 and 2.0-litre TDI diesels with power ranging from 89bhp to 187bhp. There is no word on a BlueMotion variant, but VW says even the basic engines reduce CO2 emissions by 7g/km, so expect a new Golf BlueMotion to emit less than 90g/km of CO2 and achieve more than 80mpg. There will also be a low-capacity 800cc diesel appearing in the future. Seven-speed DSG automatic and six-speed manual gearboxes will feature, too.

The new Golf will also be far safer. Thanks to a camera mounted above the rear-view mirror, it will have road sign recognition, lane keep assistance, light assist – which automatically dims the lights to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic – and adaptive cruise control. It will also have a Mercedes-style fatigue assist system, which warns the driver if he or she is about to fall asleep at the wheel.

Other Mercedes-style safety equipment includes pre-crash – which shuts the windows and pre-tensions the seatbelts if it senses a crash is imminent – as well as a system that can help avoid multiple crashes. In other words, it will automatically apply the brakes after the first collision if the car senses it is at risk of a secondary collision – a typical motorway crash situation. This is in addition to low-speed crash mitigation for use in towns.

VW will also launch its next-generation automatic parking system, which not only steers the car into a parellel parking space, but reverses it into a multi-storey car parking space, too.

To aid handling, the Golf will get a development of a new electronically-controlled differential which was significantly tested in a VW Scirocco race car at the Nurburgring 24 Hours. In addition to traction control and the XDS electronic differential, it offers torque vectoring, and is said to help turn-in and allow the Golf to hold on to its line better when cornering. There is also a new electric steering system.

Inside, the MK7 Golf will get a new touchscreen interface on the centre console which works in a similar way to an iPad, allowing the driver to use a ‘sweep’ gesture to access different information. It will be available with five and eight-inch screens.

The MQB platform will also allow the next Golf to be better looking: “Because of the position of the engine, MQB means shorter front overhangs, which in turn allows us to lengthen the look of the car and make it more sporty with a lower centre of gravity,” said head of exterior design Andreas Mindt. Better packaging will allow larger wheels and a longer wheelbase. Mindt also said that the Cross Coupe concept’s wider ‘face’, with its radiator grille integrated with the headlights and daytime running lights, would be a big feature of upcoming models.

The first VW Group model to get MQB will be the new Audi A3, which debuts in the summer – we’ll then see it in the new Mk7 Golf, which is set to arrive at the Paris Motor Show in September, before going on sale in 2013.

Tell us about your car in our Driver Power survey.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/a...67345f3388adddc6333e6db2d918802#ixzz1lEE0dHc5

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I do not understand the comment about the assembly line thing... VAG has been building multi-branded models on the same assembly lines since the 1970s. Heck, the Hannover plant not only managed to build many different versions of the same vehicle, but managed to assemble an entirely different vehicle from a different manufacturer!

But what is really sad is the USA will, as always, only get to see about 10% of the Golf 7's offerings... we'll likely get stuck with a giant gas engine just for us still, like we have for the last two generations. Sucks, because the Golf is, and always has been, such a fantastic car. It would really be neat to have our sales brochure match that of the German one.:cool:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Excellent link, thanks!

So did I read the new EA288 will have 82mm bore spacing while still offering a 2.0L displacement? That seems really strange, must be a siamesed cylinder bore arrangement like some Hondas... and that means, like those Hondas, the engines will be very fragile and have zero tolerance for any overheating whatsoever.
Nope, EA288 is 88 mm bore spacing, and is the replacement for EA189 (EA188/189 being the "EA113" diesel - and it may replace EA888 as well based on some comments that I've read - supposedly the US 1.8TFSI will be EA288 according to jamie@vwvortex).

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
As for diesels, there will be a new line-up of 1.6 and 2.0-litre TDI diesels with power ranging from 89bhp to 187bhp. There is no word on a BlueMotion variant, but VW says even the basic engines reduce CO2 emissions by 7g/km, so expect a new Golf BlueMotion to emit less than 90g/km of CO2 and achieve more than 80mpg. There will also be a low-capacity 800cc diesel appearing in the future. Seven-speed DSG automatic and six-speed manual gearboxes will feature, too.
Whoa! That caught my interest! Is the 80mpg figure the writer's inference or a quote/paraphrase from VW? I can't tell, and I think it makes a difference.... And is he saying to expect that in the States, or just offered *somewhere*?

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
So did I read the new EA288 will have 82mm bore spacing while still offering a 2.0L displacement?
It's hard to parse, but my interpretation is that the EA211 gasser platform will have 82mm spacing, but the EA288 diesels will retain 88

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Sappington: The information that's been released is based largely on the European market.

Note that they don't even bother to mention any gas engines on the 88 mm bore spacing family - many (most?) Golfs in Europe nowadays are either 1.2 or 1.4 turbo motors, with 1.8T and 2.0Ts being reserved for higher performance models.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It'd be great to see that new diesel engine in the states. That might make me trade off the jsw before 200K miles. :)

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Excellent link, thanks!

It's a bit confusing, but this seems to suggest the bore spacing of the TDIs will remain the same, while the EA211 (gas) will shrink to 82mm.

"The EA211 is a complete redesign; only the cylinder spacing of 82 mm was adopted from Volkswagen’s successful EA111 engine series."

"Except for the cylinder spacing and stroke/bore ratio, everything else is new. Just like the new petrol engines (EA211), with the introduction of the modular transverse matrix, the only dimension of the new four-cylinder diesel that is the same as that of the previous model is the cylinder spacing."

Status
Not open for further replies.