Oil Coolers... You have options guys. LOOK!

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Will this fit directly on a PD?

Can I just buy the cooler and seal or do I need longer bolts? I'm not sure what holds the cooler to the bottom of the oil filter housing.

I'm wanting the big cooler for the 130 passat
You'll need:
Cooler
Longer bolt
Seal

When I looked into this swap, I had a hard time finding the correct seal. I could only find the one that was round without the little "tangs" or "ears" on it. I'm not sure if those will work though.

koolaid

Banned
TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed BEW
You'll need:
Cooler
Longer bolt
Seal

When I looked into this swap, I had a hard time finding the correct seal. I could only find the one that was round without the little "tangs" or "ears" on it. I'm not sure if those will work though.
Did you do the swap? If so, where did you get the parts from? I can find the cooler on ebay but nothing else

Edit: I can get the cooler, the cap, and the seal with "tangs/ears" off ebay. -will this type seal work?

I still haven't been able to find the bolts

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Will this fit directly on a PD?

Can I just buy the cooler and seal or do I need longer bolts? I'm not sure what holds the cooler to the bottom of the oil filter housing.

I'm wanting the big cooler for the 130 passat

You will need the longer hollow bolt (sorry I don't know the correct name)

I'm not sure how the oil cooler works on a PD110, but I do have a PD150 heat exchanger on my ALH though.

HogWrangler

Banned
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW 5 speed
I don't think the one on idparts is the largest one is it?

I got mine off ebay that cam with the bottom cap and then the seals from idparts

Installed a couple months ago. I'll see if I have any pics of it

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
i have a 2001 alh from a Jetta. I'm swapping it into a 95 Toyota and have a clearance issue with my oil cooler/exchanger. I may be able to make it work if I can rotate the cooler 180 degrees so the fittings go towards what is now the front of the engine. Can these things be mounted in any orientation? I know hoses will have to be changed. Thank you.

cr4zy3lgato

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000
From what I remember it won't be a problem, but it would be best if someone could chime in... you could always delete it too, but personally I wouldn't do that

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
I may be forced to delete it. I'd definitely rather keep it too. If there was a different cooler/filter assembly that swept towards the crank or was just smaller in some way I'd love to hear about it.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure that the oil cooler can be rotated to any direction. If not, there is a location tab that can be broken off.
Mine isn't straight (my bad). I'd pickup a pair of oil seals if I was moving it.

Heathd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 ALH/1995 Tacoma
Ok. Thank you both. Seals are waiting at napa. I'll try to rotate it first. If that doesn't get me the room I need it may have to go. If I do have to delete it I'll be looking for the next best thing.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
High oil temp in sump

I've read several pages of this thread and searched others re: oil temp & oil coolers. Lots of old info & conflicting opinions. Looking for current facts or opinions.

My car: ALH Golf, stock cooling system, minor performance mods (nozzles, RC2, straight exhaust). Mobil1 5W40 TDT, oem oil filter.

Problem(?): when towing the little camper trailer across the mountains of WV & VA last weekend, the oil temp measured in the sump would climb from the normal 210-220F up to 260-270F & climbing on long grades. These are some steep, twisting roads, so definitely a worst case situation of long grade, slow speed, heavy load.

To me, the oil temp seems very high. This is the oil in the sump, so an oil cooler is not going to lower the temp of the oil laying there.

Should I be concerned? If the hive mind says it's OK, then I'll drive on.
If the higher temps are a concern, what to do about it?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure that you should be concerned. I'll leave that for others

That said, YES a larger oil heat exchanger will lower oil sump temperature assuming that your coolant temperature isn't approaching those levels.

Keep in mind that the sump temps are after the oil has pulled heat out of your motor and arguably not the critical place to measure. Upgrading heat exchanger will move more heat to the coolant and hold the engine internals and the sump temp down.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Thanks Dremd for the quick reply.

The primary source of heat in the sump is the oil cooling that has been sprayed at the bottom of the screaming hot pistons and the oil draining through the screaming hot turbo. The oil in the engine itself (main, rod, cam bearings) doesn't pick up that much more heat due to load. It's remarkable how quickly that temp gage can climb from the normal 210-220 on flat ground to 260+ when dragging the trailer uphill for a couple minutes.

FWIW, we run a very similar engine in the race car, but measure oil temp at the filterhead after going through the liquid/liquid heat exchanger. Temps measured there never exceed 210F w/ a 180F engine t-stat. Though we haven't measured the sump, I strongly suspect that the almost constant 100% throttle operation also results in high sump temps in that car.

That would indicate that the oil temp post-cooler is OK going into my engine. My concern is the 3-4 qts of oil that is at 270F in the sump & filter. If that is an OK temp for Mobil1, then no problem, I guess.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
For anyone wondering about how the V6 Passat oil cooler (the "middle" one) fits on the AHU/1Z, the answer:

There's JUST enough room to get the filter out, though it's tight. This is a VW branded filter with the screwdriver tabs on the bottom, a MANN or other filter would have a hair more room. A soggy front engine mount would probably not be a good thing, this is with a relatively fresh BFI Stealth mount.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
078115561J Is the v6 4motion filter that is shorter and wider if you wAnt more space. That's what I use on my v6 cooler.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
it's 3/4-16 and the normal gasket size
just about every filter ever fits
AC-delco PF-53 is about the smallest I can recall

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
Coolant hose connections

So I have been playing with my new to me 2004 Jetta Wagon. Flushing the coolant, changing the oil, replacing the back brakes. I decided to add in the upgraded oil cooler number 038117021B (the big one). I swapped the position of the coolant hoses that connect to it because it seemed easier to position them. When I refilled everything and started the car to get the air out of the system it seemed that after about 5 to 10 minutes of idling the car that the coolant hoses leading to and from the cooler were not getting warm and the expansion tank wasn't letting very much coolant go through. I believe I managed to get about 3 to 4 liters into the system so far. Does anybody know if the hose direction matters on this larger oil cooler? Is there a check valve inside it?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I don't know if your coolant will flow through the system after sitting at idle for 10 minutes. I would loosen the rad cap and take it for a drive so the coolant has a chance to warm up quicker and the thermostat has a chance to open up also. Drive it decently hard for 5-10 minutes and check again.