FS: 2004 Mk4 TDI Sedan (Conway, Arkansas)

tinks599

TDI
2004 Jetta
$4,000

Hi. I am one of those who was not aware of your forum, but I have a 2004 TDI to sell. One of my friends from ADVenture Rider suggested I post my car here. My name is Julie. I am an RN in Conway, Arkansas. Before I tell you about my car, I will tell you I grew up with a dad who bought and sold cars. That apple didn't fall far from the tree, and this TDI was my 36th car. It was also the car I loved so much, I kept it. It put a pretty hard stop in my buying and selling of vehicles. Here recently I did finally get enough of an itch and found a great deal on a 2012 BMW 3 series - so here I am selling my TINKSVW.

I can provide people from ADVenture rider who have been to my house and can vouch for me as a human being (we host folks at our house when they come cross country). I can also provide a buyer's reference. Specifically, we sold a motorcycle to a guy from Oklahoma. He is a good guy, and will let you know his dealings with us were honest and forthright. I have seen plenty of trolls and bad deals online. My experience has been to trust but verify. I expect the same of any buyer. You may verify anything I say. I want you to purchase with confidence and to be happy with your purchase.

I bought this car in 2006 with just over 40k miles on it. It currently has about 253,440 miles on it though that is subject to change, as this car is still being driven.

About me: When it comes to my vehicles, I care less how they look and more that there is NOTHING mechanically wrong with it. I have a Type-A personality and any little noise or click or change in performance makes me worry I have a car that will leave me dead on the side of the road. Safety is my number one issue. If I think something is unsafe, I cannot let it go. Probably because I have had cars that have left me dead on the side of the road...in bad neighborhoods. To that end, I have kept the interior picked up and the exterior washed, but small dings and scratches have happened. The car was a family car for 5, then as the kids grew up, it has been my daily driver. My commute is 35 miles on freeway. The car has been reliable and been on state to state trips and should continue to be able to do so.

What bothers me. I have had upgrades done to the radio. The dashboard has been pulled apart and reassembled (by professionals) enough, it is not perfect. Old plastic, cracks, rattles. Not terrible. Most people don't notice it. It drives me crazy.

Mechanically what have I done? In no specific order, and some dates may be estimated but hopefully you will get the idea about how the car has been maintained.

The car has had all the expected routine maintenance. Oil changes every 10k miles or less. The car is due for an oil change soon, but I have held off when I decided to sell. I want to give the buyer the chance to choose between me giving it a fresh oil change or if they want. I know some folks can be particular. There are no issues, I just know this can be a thing for some people.

Timing belt at 70k miles, then they came out with a 100k mile belt, so that was done at 170 and should be due again around 270. If a timing belt was done, the water pump and all incidentals were done.

I replaced the battery around 2009, then again in 2016 when it started to lag a bit when starting in the cold weather. With the last battery replacement, my husband forgot to put the cover back on. I asked him not to do it, because I didn't want to reset all the electronics. I have it, it is just not on. I have looked at it and talked to my mechanic. It doesn't really pose a safety risk - so I have been okay with it.

Right after I bought the car, I bought a lifetime alignment from Firestone. The tires are routinely rotated. I check pressures every 1-2 weeks and make sure they are proper and the alignment has been done any time I thought it wasn't driving properly. There are a set of Bridgestone Turanzas currently on the car. They were placed in 11/2015 when the car had 235,000 miles on it - so they have plenty of life left in them. It is about time I would have the tires rotated, and will do so at Firestone one more time should the buyer want. Again, I want the buyer to see it as-is so they can give it a critical eye. I also want them to have it in tip top shape so they may enjoy it once they get it.

In 2007 I ran over a whole, freshly hit deer. That was the scare of a lifetime. Fortunately for me, the car went right up and over that poor creature. I had to choose between head-on collision at highway speed, culvert that would have totaled the car or this doe carcass. The only damage done was the skid plate below the car. The insurance replaced it with an aftermarket one that was crappy and surrendered at the first ice storm. I subsequently put a Panzer plate on the bottom. That thing has served me well. It has a touch less clearance at the bottom from stock, but it is utterly bulletproof. It is designed for the TDI, so there is an oil access window for routine maintenance.

Around 2011-2012 the dealership was doing some recall work on my heated seats (they did not usually work on my car). They overtorqued my oil pan plug and buggered it all up. Initially, we plugged it and spent time time changing the oil from the top via vacuum, but I think around 2013 I had my mechanic replace the entire aluminum oil pan and get that all straightened out. It was just a spendy thing - so I had to wait until funds permitted. Nursing school and college is a fiscal hemorrhage.

About the heated seats. Despite the dealer's work on it, the passenger seat stopped working. It shouldn't have. I can't explain it. The drivers seat works perfectly and since I'm usually the only one in the car, I just let that go.

In 2015 I had a local car customizing company perform some upgrades and maintenance on my car. I had the VR6 shocks put on it. I had all the bushings replaced that could be replaced. I had the windows tinted. I found a used carpet from e-bay that was in good condition. I had the company replace the used carpet, they also put some sound dampening sheets in the car to reduce some road noise. They placed a pioneer stereo that has bluetooth and hands free functions. This went well with the already-installed premium sound package. I have a small mount in the windshield for my phone. I can run Waze for navigation and play my local playlists. The car rocks out (I love that) and charges my phone and gives me hands free functionality. I did pay extra to have the stereo and steering wheel hand controls work together. I decided on having a backup camera also installed. It was an add-on feature of the Pioneer stereo. The vendor was willing to put in a hot switch, so I can turn it on (no backup lights coming on) while the car is in motion. It just gives me a good idea of what is behind the car while I may not be in reverse. I don't use it much, but have found it to be handy at times. During this visit, we opted not to do the struts, because they looked good. In 2016, the rear drivers side strut failed, so I replaced both with Mac Pherson struts, done by my mechanic. Basically, I have replaced what has needed to be replaced with some logical upgrades to enhance or solidify performance for someone who loves to just drive the hell out of her little car. lol

Other things done to the car: Recently the blend door gave up the ghost and needed to be replaced. I asked my mechanic what else needed to be done. He said the heater core - so I had him replace that as well. Shortly after it came out of there, it lost the top end of the turbo power. I wanted to cry. I took it to my mechanic. It was an easy fix. The waste gate controller needed to be lubricated as it was sticking. Now the car runs and drives perfect and it was like $60.

Incidental things: Interior trim could use some TLC (as mentioned before). Several years ago the glove box mechanism broke. I glued two NM magnets in each corner and while it doesn't lock - it closes fine and has not been an issue for me.

Both my mechanic and the tech at Firestone (the ONE that i trust and have work on my car) say they know my car to be one of the cleanest and most mechanically intact and functioning TDIs they see. My mechanic is Skip's Foreign Car Repair in Conway, AR. He has said he is willing to answer any questions for a potential buyer. He is a small owner-run shop. I ask you only take his time if you are a serious inquirer. He has been my mechanic for 17 years. I appreciate him because he is a straight shooter and I have never felt he has led me wrong. Over the years, he frequently has told me a maintenance item can wait and it won't hurt the car or he will tell me something is a 'park it right now until you get it fixed' item. I appreciate his honesty. The truth is, I generally fix it right away no matter what, because I don't like to worry over my car.

So, if you are interested in this car here is what I am willing to do.

- Answer your questions to the best of my ability.
- Provide my mechanic to answer technical questions.
- Provide a seller's reference.
- Provide imaginary internet friends who have stayed at my house to vouch for my lack of being a criminal or bad person.
- Place the car on a transport service in Central Arkansas (between Conway and Little Rock)
- Provide a place to stay overnight if a buyer wants to fly and drive. I have a small/modest guest room. I will request references from folks for the safety of my family that you are not a criminal or bad person. You must love dogs and birds (or at least be able to sleep in a house that has these things).

Please understand, I work rotating 12 hour shifts. I am a motivated seller but internet communication is minimal on the days I work.

Last edited:

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
That looks like a super nice car. I'd definitely be interested if I had the spare cash. Good luck with it!

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Outstanding F/S ad. Car looks nice.

I hesitate to even ask, given your attention to detail and upkeep of the car, but I'm curious what sticker has been applied to the top of the stock air box cover?

Also, if you mean the stock black plastic battery cover was not put back on, it should not require any reset of electronics.

GLWS!

tinks599

TDI
2004 Jetta
K&N

About the box - I haven't even messed with it. Hubby said we'd have to disconnect the battery so I just left it at that.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Maybe the K&N sticker is from the prior owner, and you've replaced it with an OE filter...

The black plastic battery cover (which appears to be missing in the photo, and might be what you reference above) just slides over the top of the battery and clicks into place with one tab on either side. Perhaps you are also missing something else, or something under the battery, which would require battery removal.