I had the pleasure of using the front tow hook

Skidog

TDI
Deposit on 2009 Jetta TDI
I was up north with about 3 feet of snow this weekend and got my 2009 Jetta stuck.

The guy who pulled me out was looking for a place to put the tow strap. I looked in the manual and they give you a towing hook that you screw into the front or back of the vehicle.

VW gives you the tools to take the front cover off and the hook. You screw the hook into the front and attach your chain or strap.

It worked like a charm. Very interesting. The guy who pulled me out said it was a good idea and an American car company wouldn't give you the tools...

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I had to have my Beetle towed to my mechanic one day. The tow truck driver was going to attach his winchline to the rear axle - I told him to us the rear tow loop instead and it also worked like a charm.

One wonders why if there is an obvious place to hook to, why they wouldn't use it ?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes I used mine for the first time this past week. Worked like a charm with my sweetie towing me with her 1997 Jetta 2.0 too slow. I am going to just leave it installed for the winter now.

rapidoxidationman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS automatic sedan
Personally I can't help but wonder why VW would not weld loops onto the frame (like every other frikkin car in the world) instead of hiding a tapped hole behind some trim and giving you a part that will eventually be lost...

A bit of overthinking for a simple problem.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
rapidoxidationman said:
Personally I can't help but wonder why VW would not weld loops onto the frame (like every other frikkin car in the world) instead of hiding a tapped hole behind some trim and giving you a part that will eventually be lost...

A bit of overthinking for a simple problem.
AFAIK the Jetta is the only car I've owned that has offered ANY sort of tow hook.

minicorrado

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
corrado's have a welded front hoop and a screw in one in rear

Last edited:

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Tow Hooks...Maybe a German Thing

I'm pretty sure that BMW's and Mercedez-Benz also have hidden tow hook access as well. I remember when my mother had her C320 towed after an accident the tow truck driver actually removed a small access cover and attached the screw in hook to the fron of the car. The hook was located in the trunk of the car with the spare and jack.

It definitely looked better seeing the car winched up on the bed using this hook versus having a "giant meat hook" attached somewhere under the body where it was probably not meant to be.

I think the removable tow hook is a classy distinction versus a welded on hook that is always visable. The lines and look of the car just flow better with a hook that can be attached as needed....just my opinion.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
I took the plastic grills out on both sides and I leave the hook in all the time on the passenger side and on the driver side its a great place to hide the block heater cord and I don't bother with hub caps since somebody stole one