MK5 seats into a MK4?

DownLow

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 Beetle TDI, 2000 Beetle R32 Swapped
I used a piece that originally came with my MK4 racing seat brackets. It's a just a square piece of thick gauge steel with a tapped hole in it that slides into the rail and then you tighten the bottom part of the rear bracket into that. Does that make any sense?

JetPuf

Veteran Member
TDI
White '98 Bug, Gray 2010 GL350
I used a piece that originally came with my MK4 racing seat brackets. It's a just a square piece of thick gauge steel with a tapped hole in it that slides into the rail and then you tighten the bottom part of the rear bracket into that. Does that make any sense?

Yup. that makes sense.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Sorry to bump this thread from the Dino era.... But I have a question and I have looked all over the net for answers.

I'm trying to install some seats in my B4 Passat, but they are not your ordinary seats they are comfort seats from a E38 740iL which have all the bells n whistles. Got em for next to nothing and am trying to find seat bases that will bolt in and prevent the seats from sliding on anything but their own bases.

Will this frame be stationary or will it slide in the floor rails ?
Corbeau makes a B4 specific seat slider/brackets.
I would like to just bolt the seats from the BMW to these bases and then wire them all up. I don't have a problem figuring out what wire goes where n does what...
I drive a lot and want a comfy set of seats.

can get a set in tan for 100 bux local...

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Has anyone gotten farther in a wiring diagram from the MK5 seats to the MK4 harness?

If there was a decent diagram for this it would be great!

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Does anyone have some pictures/diagram of the brackets for the rear seats?

I'm going to install MK6 seats in my MK4 and I would love to know how you did it without cutting the lower brackets.

Very excited about this project!

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Bumping this back up, still looking for someone with pictures or diagrams of the Mk5/Mk6 rear seat install. :)

Pooperpipley

TDI
2001 Jetta
If anyone has any information on the rear seat brackets I could really use the help as well. I have swapped the fronts with MKV leathers and they're great, but these rear seats are kicking my butt. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pooperpipley

TDI
2001 Jetta
The front seats went in easily using a thick piece of angle iron up front and a 1" square tube in the rear. If you go this route the angle iron needs minor trimming on the ends where it will come in contact with the floor. The square tubing fits in the channel that the factory seat wheel slides in and then I just bolted it directly to the seat frame. Everything is bolted up with grade 8 hardware. I am not completely satisfied with the rear mount, it interferes with passenger leg room and looks kind of crappy IMO. I haven't figured out the heater wiring yet, I still have a lot of work left between that and the rear seats.

Pooperpipley

TDI
2001 Jetta
The tubing just slides in to the channel from the mkIV seat rollers so there's nothing really holding it in place other than the seat frame. If it were cut down then it would not be stable and could possibly rotate out of the channel. The rear bracket design that downlow posted is better because it is elevated above the floor board and leaves plenty of foot room. I hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain without actually seeing it.

Also I really need to vacuume my car.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Yeah, I am dying to get the rear seats in, heated or not I don't care, I just want my seats in my car! :)

Have you got any design ideas for the rear seat bracket?

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
What did you guys pay for your front seats brackets? The best price I've found so far is $85, does that seem fair or too high?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
So the question is, will the rears have the same issues going into a wagon as the mk4 jetta sedans do?

thass23

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Incoming pics.......

I ended up fabricating a bracket that just bolted on top of the old anchor for the center holder. Took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do.......I removed the lower center seat part.....its easier to work on without it there.

Here is a closeup of the bracket.......It lets me thread either of those bolts into each seat. Even though it is mounted directly over the old anchor, it seems to be pressing a bit on the drivers side seat. Not into the leather, but Ill have to add some padding or something there anyway.

Here is the old latch catch. Im just going to take a small notch out of the backside of the new seat and let the old latch piece slide into it. It is hollow in this area, so Ill drill and set a new latch piece about 3 inches higher than the old one.....hopefully using the existing hole.

Here is the backside of the center anchor. I was planning on drilling for two bolts, but the one seemed quite strong......no need.

Seats fold flat, even with the lower cushion in place.

A stroke of luck.........the loops on the new seats match up exactly with a hole already in the car. Ill be welding a nut to a short piece of coat hanger and sticking it up and then bolting it down.

One thing I didnt get a pic of......for the pins that are on the door sides of the seats.......I dickered around for a while not knowing what to do there...I discovered that if the rear wheel well liners are removed, there is a single sheet of metal and a straight shot to make pins line up. Drill, big washers, bolts, perfect! That could have been a big problem........

Going to the hardware store tomorrow for some proper latch pieces for the backs of the seats, and then I am in business!

It has been a lot of work.....:)

hey i just picked up some mk5 gli seats front and back and am looking to follow all the great info in this thread. however a lot of the pictures will not load for me. I can figure out the front seats I plan to fab up my own custom brackets and bolting them in. But for the rears i'm lost I don't know where to begin should I go hunt down a mk5 in a junk yard and take out the bolting points or should I custom fab my own mounting points? If you could post the pics from your projects again that would be a great help!
Thank you!