www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 27th, 2019, 20:08   #16
ttcheung

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

My turn to share my sunshade replacement experience.

The metal "tray" and that roll of fabric is sold together as an "assembly," but at a high price (~$340). It's the fabric roll that usually fails, so your best bet is to just buy another fabric roll on ebay or amazon. The part number would be:
1K9877307B

I learned the hard way, and thought I had to buy the entire tray / fabric roll assembly. I installed my sunshade assembly but made one fatal installation error, and when testing the rolling / unrolling operation, the fabric would not roll back into the tray. The fabric rolls up with the aid of the two steel "clocksprings" on each of the fabric's side, and mine literally straightened itself when it started jamming up. When removing the sunshade assembly from the car, I realized the fabric roll was simply placed into the tray, and that I could just buy another fabric roll and plop it back into this try for another "go around." A few clicks on eBay and I was out another $30.

I don't know how other power retractable sunshades in the automotive industry work, but this design is extremely terrible. Guiding the fabric clocksprings into the sunshade rail is a test of patience, ripping out half the headliner is a workout for the fingers, and the instructions (I had access to even the updated VW procedures) were almost like looking at optical illusions.

Having said that, I can offer a few tips, even though my install failed.

1) No need to remove the entire headliner. In fact, it's easier to have the headliner dangling so that it can hold the sunshade assembly close to the rails while you work those fabric clocksprings into the rail.
2) The ends of my fabric clocksprings had these slots, and each was inserted with a separate metal "tab," probably used for better holding the clocksprings. Once the clocksprings were inserted into the sunshade rail, they're extremely vulnerable to slipping back off / out the rail as you work the other clockspring in. Use the guide clips temporarily hold the clockspring ends in place.
3) It's only AFTER you get the clocksprings into the sunshade rail can you finally bolt the tray onto the mounting bracket. BUT (and I must emphasize this), follow the diagram exactly, down to the placement of the fabric. I believe I had tabs on the tray incorrectly positioned with respect to the sunshade rail, and therefore the tabs weren't able to "guide" the fabric back into the tray. That's my hunch, as I'm still trying to figure out if that was the actual culprit.
4) A sunroof "adaptation procedure" was not necessary, as everything removed and installed were strictly mechanical.

5) Since your rear glass is removed, it's a good time to spray the sunroof silicone grease into the rails.
Old November 25th, 2019, 14:57   #17
TDITS

TDI(s): Jetta
Default Sportswagen Panoramic Sunshade replacement

Hi. Wondering if anyone has recent information about this problem. My sunshade coil is dislodged and otherwise broken so it won't roll up and needs to be replaced. It's a 2013 Jetta Sportswagen. I see the previous thread that is years old now. All electronics are working. I just got an $1800+ quote from VW Dealer. Would appreciate anyone that has completed this repair with first hand experience contacting me. Thanks!

I just saw ttcheung's post. That's helpful.

Last edited by TDITS; November 25th, 2019 at 15:01. Reason: found more recent post
TDITS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 20:15   #18
ttcheung

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

Late reply with long read...

A week after my initial failure with the sunshade install, I bought ONLY a replacement fabric roll from eBay, with the clocksprings and mounting rubber strip and etc attached to it. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy from China vendors since VW has a huge presence over there.

This time around I followed the diagram down to the exact placement of the fabric. I also noticed that the fabric had to be precisely stretched over the tray’s sheetmetal “curvature,” which was crucial to getting the fabric to roll back up into the tray. I unfortunately made this slight oversight and didn’t stretch the fabric when bolting up the assembly to the mounting bracket; a quick roll/unroll test started jamming the fabric. I quickly stopped the motor and proceeded to unbolt the assembly from the car. Then I removed the fabric roll from the tray and literally manually “re-sprung” the clock springs to give back its torsion. The clocksprings weren’t without some small kinks, but was otherwise salvageable.

I put the fabric roll back into the tray, and probably for the fourth or fifth time, I reinstalled the assembly back into the car. By this time I was getting pretty confident with guiding those clock springs into the rail. Prior to bolting the assembly to the mounting bracket, I made certain that the fabric roll was stretched over the tray’s curvature. With the assembly bolted up I gave it one more test, and this time it was successful.

As someone mentioned, it’s not that difficult, just time consuming and not the most ergonomic. Glass removal was straightforward, ripping out rear pillar trim pieces required finger strength, and guiding the clocksprings and lining up the assembly was a test of patience. No special tools needed, just the usual VW TORX bits. And again, 95% you’ll only need the fabric roll.

I know certain members abhor the pano roof; I too had the infamous pool of water in the spare tire wheelwell due to careless assembly workers routing the drain tubes incorrectly. However, I still enjoy spinning that moonroof dial to “full open” whenever given the chance.
Old July 16th, 2020, 16:30   #19
hephaestus

I have a 14 JSW TDI. All the ebay fabrics listed in this thread claim to not fit my vehicle. Does anyone have a link to one that does?
hephaestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2020, 07:12   #20
USMCFieldMP
Veteran Member

I guess VW/Audi really sucks at sourcing quality sunshades.

This seems to be a very common problem with the B8 A/S/RS-4/5, as well. I'm curious if they're the same part number. I'd bet they used the same manufacturer to make them though.
2005 Chevy Cobalt SS - 500hp Jack Stand Princess
1986 Volkswagen GTI VR6 - Lightweight Eyesore
USMCFieldMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 19:16   #21
Vivyiko

Smile Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
It appears that you only need to remove the rear sunroof glass. I have never done this, but this is what I know:
Removing Pano sunshade: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_sun_shade.pdf
Removing Pano Rear Glass: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Rear_Glass.pdf
Sunroof Adaptation (needed after replacement): http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Pano_Adaptation.pdf
Note: These instructions say they are for 2005-2008 pano roofs, but these were never sold in the US. The (US) 2009 is exactly the same and I have been told that the 2009 - 2013 (and probably 2014) "Sportwagens" have the exact same part numbers for all Pano sunroof parts. Therefore, the instructions above will probably be helpful to you.
Your links helped me get the sunshade replaced today! Just wanted to thank you for posting this!!
Michael
Vivyiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 19:27   #22
Vivyiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephaestus View Post
I have a 14 JSW TDI. All the ebay fabrics listed in this thread claim to not fit my vehicle. Does anyone have a link to one that does?
I just did mine today. Don't trust the eBay "does this fit" tool. Look at the listing and contact the seller if necessary. Here's what I bought. Just make sure you get the right color for your car!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gray-Sunroo...a-e0bfe3dab047
Vivyiko is offline   Reply With Quote