My homemade winter grille cover!

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Faux leather, same quality material that I've seen on car bras.
I used a cross stiched backing for added padding and rigidity.
6 elastic bands
6 zinc coated hooks

There are many areas under the hood and under the car to connect the hooks to.

I'm more than happy to make and sell one of these covers to another forum member as a favor. $60 + shipping fees of $10.
I'm not looking to make this a business of mine.
I'm not creating different styles for different vehicles.
Because the cover covers the entire grille, it does trigger the SEL, the code is 000618 if I remember right. Its the one that states not enough air is getting past the intercooler. Verified it with my VAG. Not a big deal for me since I made the cover for one purpose, help get the engine temps up quicker during my 9 miles drive to work on mostly country roads.
With the cover on, even in 60 degree temps the coolant temp gauge never goes past 1/2.
With the SEL on, the car operates perfectly with no problems. The SEL goes away when you remove the cover and drive a few miles.
If someone wants the SEL not to activate then you can cut out a few holes in the cover toward the bottom to allow more air in.

Update....

Looks like the SEL only gets triggered with very cold temps... below 40 degrees. When I initially installed the cover and drove it for a week it was still in the 40s and 50s, no SEL. Then the temps dipped and we got snow, SEL triggered. The past 2 days have been back in the 40s, SEL went away.

The code can also be cleared at any time with a VAG401.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
It came out better than I expected.

Drove the car 40 miles in 55 degree weather both on highway and city, the temp gauge stayed right in middle, no signs of getting too hot.

The only thing I noticed that changed is that during city driving the outdoor temperature reading goes up 5-10 degrees. The outdoor air temp sensor must not be getting enough air passing thru it for an accurate read.

Takes 30-60 seconds to install and about 15-30 seconds to remove.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It came out better than I expected.

Drove the car 40 miles in 55 degree weather both on highway and city, the temp gauge stayed right in middle, no signs of getting too hot.

The only thing I noticed that changed is that during city driving the outdoor temperature reading goes up 5-10 degrees. The outdoor air temp sensor must not be getting enough air passing thru it for an accurate read.

Takes 30-60 seconds to install and about 15-30 seconds to remove.
Do not put too much faith in the stock temperature gauge in the dashboard. Use a ScanGauge or some other way of reading the actual coolant temperature from the ECU. My dash gauge stays exactly on 190 degrees all the time while my actual coolant temperature can vary from 175 to 210 with no change in the gauge. VW/Audi buffers this gauge far more then necessary. Your temperature gauge will not go above 190 degrees unless/until there is something seriously wrong.

Your ambient (outside air) temperature sensor is behind your front bumper. With reduced airflow, your radiator is warming that sensor.

Have Fun!

Don

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Thanks for the info Don, good to know.

With the ease of removing the cover, I'm not planning on driving around with it installed in 60+ degree weather. But I'm also happy to know I won't be running into trouble in case we get the occasional warmer day during the winter.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Pete,

Very nice job on the cover;however, you will want at leaste a slit to allow more air into the intercooler. I run a cover on both my truck and jeep in the winter months and both have Velcro flaps to allow air into the intercooler.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I have a 9 mile drive to work. In this cooler weather, temp gauge only went up to the 1/4 mark without the cover.. now it gets all the way to the halfway mark.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Another observation. Left car sitting for slightly over an hour in 45 degree temps and when I returned the temp gauge was exactly between 1/4 and 1/2. Looks like the cover aids in keeping the engine temps warmer on short stops.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
There is another member here (I forget who) that completely covered his grill like you. Everything worked fine for a while until he got a check engine light. The fault code was something about low intercooler efficiency. This is probably not anything to really worry about, just something to be aware of. If you get any fault codes like this, you just need to let a little air flow through your intercooler

Have Fun!

Don

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Wow that turned out good man!

Is there one available for our cars yet? Last time I searched I couldn't find one

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Clarification.............

I'm more than happy to make and sell one of these covers to another forum member as a favor. $60 + shipping fees of $10.
I'm not looking to make this a business of mine.
I'm not creating different styles for different vehicles.
Because the cover covers the entire grille, it does trigger the SEL, the code is 000618 if I remember right. Its the one that states not enough air is getting past the intercooler. Verified it with my VAG. Not a big deal for me since I made the cover for one purpose, help get the engine temps up quicker during my 9 miles drive to work on mostly country roads.
With the cover on, even in 60 degree temps the coolant temp gauge never goes past 1/2.
With the SEL on, the car operates perfectly with no problems. The SEL goes away when you remove the cover and drive a few miles.
If someone wants the SEL not to activate then you can cut out a few holes in the cover toward the bottom to allow more air in.

Update....

Looks like the SEL only gets triggered with very cold temps... below 40 degrees. When I initially installed the cover and drove it for a week it was still in the 40s and 50s, no SEL. Then the temps dipped and we got snow, SEL triggered. The past 2 days have been back in the 40s, SEL went away.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Just the other morning it was in the low 20's and the temp gauge never reached the middle. This should take care of that problem!

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Just the other morning it was in the low 20's and the temp gauge never reached the middle. This should take care of that problem!

Definitely... 10-15 minute drive to work and I was having the same issue before the cover.. now I have warm air coming out my vents within a couple minutes. Gets the temp gauge to halfway even on those cold mornings.

I wish I would have done this on my previous TDI, I always dreaded winters!

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Update....

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I'll get some pics up when we wash the car. I will say I'm impressed with the quality of it! It doesn't look homemade it looks like something you would buy from a company lol

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I'll get some pics up when we wash the car. I will say I'm impressed with the quality of it! It doesn't look homemade it looks like something you would buy from a company lol

I'm glad you're satisfied. ;) I'm pretty anal with my stuff.. so I wouldn't make something gaudy :p

BTW... I went through a car wash today with the cover on.. I wanted to see if thats safe to do... it held on with no signs of getting ripped off. :)

PhunkFX

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI S-Line, 2005.5 Jetta TDI (BRM) 6MT (02Q)
I surely will Pete, I may get them done tomorrow, if I can get my car cleaned :)